Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

1320 / Scat Pack "Drag" vs "Sport" Shift Points

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker
I'm ready to purchase either one. I prefer a shaker, which limits me to the SP. I've been looking at SRT's, but the used prices are just retarded. How do the shift points differ on these two models, if at all? I know that the 1320 has a high-stall TC and beefed-up axles, but how else do they differ, if at all? I'm not a fan of the Hellcat hood, but I could change that.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
They have the Demon suspension programming that changes the shock rebound rates for weight transfer to aid traction in Drag mode. They are lighter than a regular SP.

The shifts in Drag seemed to be firmer than the sport mode shifts in my previous Charger.

The 1320 does have some sport mode adjustability in the steering and suspension. When you go into Drag mode it overrides those settings.

You get 20 inch wheels and drag radials from the factory on all 4 corners on the 1320, but they don't give you a big advantage at the track, so you're better off with 17 or 18 inch rear rims with DR's if you plan to hit the track for more than just the occasional fun.

The 1320 has a transbrake like the Demon, but it's a bit of a convoluted process and if you mess up any step of the process, it drops out and then you have to start the process over from step 1. I wish they had made it a 1 button deal.

The 1320 is more drag oriented than the regular SP. So you'll have to decide if that orientation is more important to you.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Even with the d/r's aired down to 17 psi, I still had no problem sending them up in smoke. Most of the people who run these chasing a time have a set of 17 or 18 inch rims and some M/T d/r's to be able to hook.

OP
68coronet

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
Even with the d/r's aired down to 17 psi, I still had no problem sending them up in smoke. Most of the people who run these chasing a time have a set of 17 or 18 inch rims and some M/T d/r's to be able to hook.
Thanks. Do 18" wheels result in increased power transfer?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
You want a smaller wheel with same height tire to help in traction. I would go 1320 all the way. From what I have seen at the track even though the engine is no different then other 6.4's they seem to be faster

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Thanks. Do 18" wheels result in increased power transfer?
The 20 inch wheels don't have enough sidewall to wrinkle to be beneficial.

It was nice of Dodge to put 20 inch wheels on their drag oriented car, only to put out a statement a few months later telling everyone to stop racing on 20 inch wheels for exactly the reason above. So why didn't they just give the 1320 the same 18 inch wheels that the Demon had and be done with it?

But they didn't.

Figure on spending about $1000 or more for a set of 18 inch back wheels and tires.

OP
68coronet

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
The 20 inch wheels don't have enough sidewall to wrinkle to be beneficial.

It was nice of Dodge to put 20 inch wheels on their drag oriented car, only to put out a statement a few months later telling everyone to stop racing on 20 inch wheels for exactly the reason above. So why didn't they just give the 1320 the same 18 inch wheels that the Demon had and be done with it?

But they didn't.

Figure on spending about $1000 or more for a set of 18 inch back wheels and tires.
The 20" wheel sizing has baffled me since I first heard that Dodge was using them. IMO, the Gen III Challenger is more grand (sport) tourer than muscle car. It's been decades since I've been to the track, so I'm a bit out of the times. Since when did drivers begin drag racing on radial tires? If you want to destroy a drive train, drag racing on radial tires is a good place to start.

"They spent millions designing the car, so they know best." is typical from millennial sprouts who lack critical thinking skills. If they know best, why are they fitting the 5.7 HEMI engine with a 2.75" exhaust system? Most aren't going to boost their 5.7 R/T... Dual 2.75" is too large @ 375 HP. 2.25" to 2.50" tops. A rhetorical question, of course... They're doing it for ease of production and lower cost. Now we have the admission from Dodge that 20" radials are an issue on the 1320.

Last edited:

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
The tire/wheel discussion is accurate but irrelevant to OP's question. No matter which car he buys it will come with 20" rims and he will have to buy a drag pack setup or at least smaller rims for the rear no matter what car he gets. I agree 1000% that dodge should have given it 18" demon rims but that would require different offsets and therby having someone design new rims. For the small # of 1320s bought/made prob not worth if for them??

The 1320 is marginally faster than the shaker because of the suspension, driveline bits and programming etc. Its a little more capable of handing the pounding the 1/4 mile will give it. Even on the street there is a bit of an advantage. The shifts in drag mode IMO are a good bit harder and faster than the regular scat but in drag mode you also lose most of your ability to corner. So if you want both you have to paddle it.

If you arent going to race it a lot and like the shaker look better get that. you can still have fun, still drag race it

the 1320 only has street and drag modes. I wish it had a sport mode for the motor/trans that was in between. Street is great for the highway, drag is way too agressive for around town and highway use.

Shaker is a better all around daily thats a few tenths slower in the 1/4
1320 is a better drag car that can take more abuse but also doesnt give up all that much on the street/daily experience.

OP
68coronet

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
The tire/wheel discussion is accurate but irrelevant to OP's question. No matter which car he buys it will come with 20" rims and he will have to buy a drag pack setup or at least smaller rims for the rear no matter what car he gets. I agree 1000% that dodge should have given it 18" demon rims but that would require different offsets and therby having someone design new rims. For the small # of 1320s bought/made prob not worth if for them??

The 1320 is marginally faster than the shaker because of the suspension, driveline bits and programming etc. Its a little more capable of handing the pounding the 1/4 mile will give it. Even on the street there is a bit of an advantage. The shifts in drag mode IMO are a good bit harder and faster than the regular scat but in drag mode you also lose most of your ability to corner. So if you want both you have to paddle it.

If you arent going to race it a lot and like the shaker look better get that. you can still have fun, still drag race it

the 1320 only has street and drag modes. I wish it had a sport mode for the motor/trans that was in between. Street is great for the highway, drag is way too agressive for around town and highway use.

1320 is a better drag car that can take more abuse but also doesnt give up all that much on the street/daily experience.
Excellent post, but why would the 1320 lose handling in drag mode? The 1320 comes with "sport" suspension and steering adjustability. Would this not emulate scat pack handling while driving in drag mode? What I've been trying to find out, is how does drag shifting differ from sport shifting? Does it hold RPM longer per gear, or is it the same?

Last edited:
Member ID
Reactions
City
Burnsville
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I'm confused 😕... does the 1320 now come with 20 inch tires from the factory?? My brother bought a new 2019 1320 (since sold) and it came factory stock with 18 inch Nexen drag radials on all four corners. Guess I gotta research this just to satisfy my own curiosity...

OP
68coronet

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
I'm confused 😕... does the 1320 now come with 20 inch tires from the factory?? My brother bought a new 2019 1320 (since sold) and it came factory stock with 18 inch Nexen drag radials on all four corners. Guess I gotta research this just to satisfy my own curiosity...
Good question. I didn't know the 1320 ever came with 18" wheels. Someone said that they ordered a 1320 with a shaker package. If this is true, that option is no longer available.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Burnsville
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
OK, my mistake. Confirmed with my brother and he said his did come with 20 inch tires!
I had it in my head they were 18s but I was mistaken....sorry

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
The 1320 comes stock with 20 in Nexen drag radials. If he bought a used one with 18 inch wheels, then someone changed them out from what it originally came with.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
The 20" wheel sizing has baffled me since I first heard that Dodge was using them. IMO, the Gen III Challenger is more grand (sport) tourer than muscle car. It's been decades since I've been to the track, so I'm a bit out of the times. Since when did drivers begin drag racing on radial tires? If you want to destroy a drive train, drag racing on radial tires is a good place to start.

"They spent millions designing the car, so they know best." is typical from millennial sprouts who lack critical thinking skills. If they know best, why are they fitting the 5.7 HEMI engine with a 2.75" exhaust system? Most aren't going to boost their 5.7 R/T... Dual 2.75" is too large @ 375 HP. 2.25" to 2.50" tops. A rhetorical question, of course... They're doing it for ease of production and lower cost. Now we have the admission from Dodge that 20" radials are an issue on the 1320.
Here's that awesome article Dodge put out after I had gotten my 1320. This made me very happy.......like a colonoscopy.

https://www.dodgegarage.com/news/article/racing/2019/09/its-all-about-the-tires.html

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Excellent post, but why would the 1320 lose handling in drag mode? The 1320 comes with "sport" suspension and steering adjustability. Would this not emulate scat pack handling while driving in drag mode? What I've been trying to find out, is how does drag shifting differ from sport shifting? Does it hold RPM longer per gear, or is it the same?
It felt to me that the shifting was harder in Drag mode in the 1320. I'm sure when you have it in Drag mode, the transmission mapping is different from the SP in "sport" mode. So expect the shifting in the 1320 to be different is the bottom line. In drag mode driving around town.,....which I loved to do since I loved the hard shift on a part throttle stab....definintely feels different than the SP shifting in sport mode. Not sure exactly if there's an rpm shift point difference, but if you drive the car in normal mode, and drive in it drag mode on the street, you will absolutely notice a difference. It could also be that the mapping also alters the line pressure in the transmission, but I don't know that positively. I just know that the mapping difference is very noticable. In drag mode, the car reminded me of my old muscle cars with a shift kit in them.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

The OP also asked in his original post, besides shifting, how the two cars differed, which is how the tire discussion started.

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
You are correct I misspoke on the suspension. I meant with everything In drag mode and forgot to address the suspension only.

you can use sport suspension and Drag mode together but Drag for the trans/motor is very agressive and to me not really suitable for any daily driving unless you are constantly driving like a nut. OR like running high rpm and low MPG all the time.

I feel a "sport" setting for the engine/trans for the 1320 would have been really nice. "street" wants to upshift constantly and makes the car feel slow and is somewhat annoying, Drag is the other extreme. It would be nice to have an in between.

Drag mode def shifts harder and faster than any of the others, however most times even at light throttle apps it wont upshift until 5000+ in Drag mode pull hard on the highway off an exit ramp and it wants to cruise at 70-80 in 4th gear at 4500 rpms you have to manually upshift it to get the RPMS back down. Drag mode is flat out for racing and not really street friendly. AT least thats how my 19 works.

I did learn in street mode, if you quickly double tap the gas pedal it drops to the lowest gear possible without going to redline which takes some getting used to but def works.

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
It felt to me that the shifting was harder in Drag mode in the 1320. I'm sure when you have it in Drag mode, the transmission mapping is different from the SP in "sport" mode. So expect the shifting in the 1320 to be different is the bottom line. In drag mode driving around town.,....which I loved to do since I loved the hard shift on a part throttle stab....definintely feels different than the SP shifting in sport mode. Not sure exactly if there's an rpm shift point difference, but if you drive the car in normal mode, and drive in it drag mode on the street, you will absolutely notice a difference. It could also be that the mapping also alters the line pressure in the transmission, but I don't know that positively. I just know that the mapping difference is very noticable. In drag mode, the car reminded me of my old muscle cars with a shift kit in them.
Kudos to you, Ive tried to run around in drag mode in town and its just a little too much. I must be getting old :(

In then end though, I kind of feel my T/A with the non adjustable suspension maybe handled a bit better than my 1320 in sport mode, same tires but I DO like being able to adjust between street and sport in the 1320 as the T/A was a bit bouncy on shitty highway roads. Street mode on the 1320 smooths it right out.

In the end, not one bit sorry I have a 1320 over my T/A Id choose the 1320 again if given then chance.

OP
68coronet

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #19
You are correct I misspoke on the suspension. I meant with everything In drag mode and forgot to address the suspension only.

you can use sport suspension and Drag mode together but Drag for the trans/motor is very agressive and to me not really suitable for any daily driving unless you are constantly driving like a nut. OR like running high rpm and low MPG all the time.

I feel a "sport" setting for the engine/trans for the 1320 would have been really nice. "street" wants to upshift constantly and makes the car feel slow and is somewhat annoying, Drag is the other extreme. It would be nice to have an in between.

Drag mode def shifts harder and faster than any of the others, however most times even at light throttle apps it wont upshift until 5000+ in Drag mode pull hard on the highway off an exit ramp and it wants to cruise at 70-80 in 4th gear at 4500 rpms you have to manually upshift it to get the RPMS back down. Drag mode is flat out for racing and not really street friendly. AT least thats how my 19 works.

I did learn in street mode, if you quickly double tap the gas pedal it drops to the lowest gear possible without going to redline which takes some getting used to but def works.
This is exactly what I wanted to know. My 2020 RT upshifts quickly (in normal mode) as well, and I hate it. My 2016 R/T didn't do this, but then it hadn't had the late 2016 TCM update done to it. Dodge asked me if I wanted the update? I declined. I loved the way that car shifted. People assume updates are always beneficial... Not true. The only way to "wake-up" the A8 (normal mode) without a TCM remap, is to install a Banks Pedal Monster or similar device. The computer "thinks" that you're being heavier on the accelerator than you actually are, thus, it doesn't feel nearly as "lazy". I removed the Banks unit, as I'm planning on trading the RT. Without the Banks unit, it feels neutered. Not nearly as responsive, or as exciting to drive. The MDS is another story... If I don't get a 1320, the SP will be an M6.

OP
68coronet

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20
Here's that awesome article Dodge put out after I had gotten my 1320. This made me very happy.......like a colonoscopy.

https://www.dodgegarage.com/news/article/racing/2019/09/its-all-about-the-tires.html
That's messed-up!

"In order to maximize your car’s abilities on the drag strip, you need to be looking at how big of a sidewall you can get in your tire."

I attempted to push this point (and others) on another Challenger forum. I was accused of being "mean to people" when I argued the point, thus, I was banished. :oops: