Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

2020 Shelby GT 500 is toast vs Redeye in drag race

Member ID
Reactions
City
Manville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Hellcat Redeye widebody
I guess all the smack talking GT 500 fan boys can finally shut up...A well modded 2020 GT 500 only goes 9.93...Same mods on a Redeye and they go low 9's...Not only that but the trans can hold it...Good luck DCT trans. In the end Ford came up short and all the smack talk the Ford guys did well now they all can eat their talk.
Check this out

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Ford sucks

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
There’s some weird stuff going on with the launch control with these things. He’s hitting the car hard off the line and yet it is not spinning the tires. At well over the 900whp, the launch control is doing some major shit to keep it from blowing those tires away. The 60’ was in the 1.6’s. That sucks. Put some drag wheels and tires on it and turn that control off so it can put some power down off the line and that et will drop significantly.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
There’s some weird stuff going on with the launch control with these things. He’s hitting the car hard off the line and yet it is not spinning the tires. At well over the 900whp, the launch control is doing some major shit to keep it from blowing those tires away. The 60’ was in the 1.6’s. That sucks. Put some drag wheels and tires on it and turn that control off so it can put some power down off the line and that et will drop significantly.
Or the Tremec explodes.

At least that's what everyone keeps telling me my TR-6060 is destined for. LOL.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I guess time will tell. Hard launches at the track trying to keep up with modded Hellcats will expose its weak points if it has them. 1.6 sixty ft’s aren’t going to get it done and once they do what it takes to knock that down into the 1.3’s..... we gonna see :oops:

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Good video and I just yesterday changed my GT500 order to Iconic Silver from Twister Orange. And for those who bash the competition doesn’t make sense. Without competition you dont know What you have. And for the record Ford never gave up on making the Mustang good, bad, ugly and now pretty damn sweet. Dodge and Chevy having taking many time outs on their pony muscle cars over the years and Ford started the pony wars so thank you Ford. And would we have the bad ass Hellcats today had the niche market been ignored?

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
I guess time will tell. Hard launches at the track trying to keep up with modded Hellcats will expose its weak points if it has them. 1.6 sixty ft’s aren’t going to get it done and once they do what it takes to knock that down into the 1.3’s..... we gonna see :oops:
TR-9070 (GT500 spec)
Torque Capacity 664 lb-ft

TR-6060 (HC spec)
Torque Capacity 650 lb-ft

The absence of the torque converter is the limiting factor.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
They sure seemed to be scratching, looking for an excuse as to why they were not setting records. It looks slow as fook launching.

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I guess all the smack talking GT 500 fan boys can finally shut up...A well modded 2020 GT 500 only goes 9.93...Same mods on a Redeye and they go low 9's...Not only that but the trans can hold it...Good luck DCT trans. In the end Ford came up short and all the smack talk the Ford guys did well now they all can eat their talk.
Check this out
GT500 has been out about a month or two. Give it time, the Hellcat has come a long ways in 5 years. The GT500 is going to give any Redeye Hell in stock trim. When modded, certainly the Redeye had the advantage at the moment due to 5 years of development on the platform. The GT500 will be in the 8s within a year.

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Good video and I just yesterday changed my GT500 order to Iconic Silver from Twister Orange. And for those who bash the competition doesn’t make sense. Without competition you dont know What you have. And for the record Ford never gave up on making the Mustang good, bad, ugly and now pretty damn sweet. Dodge and Chevy having taking many time outs on their pony muscle cars over the years and Ford started the pony wars so thank you Ford. And would we have the bad ass Hellcats today had the niche market been ignored?
Theres an orange GT500 for sale here in GA at a local dealer.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
GT500 has been out about a month or two. Give it time, the Hellcat has come a long ways in 5 years. The GT500 is going to give any Redeye Hell in stock trim. When modded, certainly the Redeye had the advantage at the moment due to 5 years of development on the platform. The GT500 will be in the 8s within a year.
Ford has always had way more aftermarket support then mopar .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
I like the new Mustang (especially in Orange). Only 2 issues with the Mustang:
1- I’m too tall to fit in one comfortably
2- Lithia Ford is crooked as shit in my area ($5,000 markup on all Raptors and I’ve seen $3,000 markup on the Ranger). I simply can’t buy from these guys, and I’m not sure I can trust the service department (some sketchy stories from that department too).

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
Stock to stock (GT500 vs Redeye) the GT500 will be competitive but the 60fts will be holding it back giving all Redeye's an advantage out of the hole. Sure a GT500 will likely be 8s within a year, but on stock transmission? At this point stock to stock, I'll be hearing GT500s wanting to roll race and not go from a dig. Too early to know yet if the DCT will hold power or not when the torque management is turned off. Also while this platform is new, nothing is impressive about running a 9.9 with that power level. Give them a month or two, okay then well stop posting videos of things that aren't all that impressive. What I do like so far the GT500 is making good power and they also seem a bit lighter than advertised as well. I'm just not sold on the DCT until they can 60ft better and the transmission can take the beating.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Ok, gave you accolade's for posting vid's and sharing info but now I have a bit of a rant. What company would knowingly produce the Pinto? Who would design a car whose trunk floor is the gas tank?(Mustang, Falcon). On top of that, everyone tout's the original GT40 (and on it's own merit I love that car also) BUT Ford STOLE that championship. They had the European sanctioning bodies change rules mid-year (Gee....wonder how that happened----sudden mid year donation to the Euro racing fund?) when they knew Ferrari didn't have the pockets or means to change foundry castings that fast. I.E. they ran 420+c.i. engine in same class that Ferrari was running 300+ c.i. engine. They've been doing it forever. They would illegally feed there team's one off parts. Like there NASCAR FE motors getting "special" cranks with wider journals and bearings than stock (meaning WHOLE NEW custom castings and machining to fit in stock blocks). ONLY the teams could get. Nowhere could you buy them. Everyone else, (G.M.-Mopar) based on STOCK parts no matter how modified. They did it to Boss 429's also. Chrysler had a production based 426. Ford had again, "special" 1/2 INCH! rod bolts put only in there NASCAR 429's. Try getting a set of those on the street. They also did things that would literally drive mechanics crazy. SAME year motors (again FE) with two different exhaust manifold bolt patterns. Same motor family with two or three different heights for valve pedestals and valve lengths. 6 different tranny options for a three speed Falcon, with the same tranny! in same year! I could go on and on. It's a history of these kinds of things.
BTW I have not seen the new movie 'Ford vs., Ferrari', I do not know if any of this is touched on. In Short I agree with @Hpindy on comment.

Last edited:
Member ID
Reactions
City
SOUTH LYON
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
1970 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack
First Off gotta say I bleed Mopar, that said I purchased a new REWB only drove it home before weather set in (300 miles) Also have just driven a GT 500 cold streets, that thing flat out hooked, at a 30 roll it hooked. On the street at a low roll on factory rubber were going to have a hard time, they just dont make the torque, they hook and leave, were spinning. Theres a couple track tests on factory rubber going 10.60s @133 and the sixty ft is weak in a lighter car, thats gonna be a handful when they figure them out. There working on Trannys for the cars currently and have some of the best tranny gurus rubbing on them.
Race Purestock and have spent years and years learning how to make the old cars hook on a 5 inch wide goodyear polyglass gt. Horsepower is great and MPH shows it but you gotta hook and leave to win. Cant tell you how many times around the detroit area I've seen Z06s, Hellcats, ZL1's handed there tail on OEM rubber. The stick drivers are almost always easy prey on OEM rubber, Trackhawks are the exception now.
This happens all too often around the Detroit area on OEM rubber. Gotta hook and leave!!!!!
go to about the 4.45 mark to skip the BS, not my cars either one

Last edited:
Member ID
Reactions
City
SOUTH LYON
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
1970 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack
Great VID by Demonology and impute from Ron. The young man that was driving his 500 was great, car was 3 days old, New car, New Dragstrip driver on OEM rubber, now the track was well prepped but that car is strong!!! Redeyes on OEM rubber factory tune, how many guys have went 10.60s ??? That Venom isnt going to kill a Demon on Race gas tune with stickey tires, that said there going to be aiming for Redeyes and they are packing enough heat right from FORD. IMHO

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
Great VID by Demonology and impute from Ron. The young man that was driving his 500 was great, car was 3 days old, New car, New Dragstrip driver on OEM rubber, now the track was well prepped but that car is strong!!! Redeyes on OEM rubber factory tune, how many guys have went 10.60s ??? That Venom isnt going to kill a Demon on Race gas tune with stickey tires, that said there going to be aiming for Redeyes and they are packing enough heat right from FORD. IMHO
First off, welcome to the forum. The weak point no doubt in RE/HC is factory tires, but it's a simple fix. Swap tires, and hook. The GT500 can hook easier with its stock tires (Which aren't the same size or brand as the Redeyes), but it seems it hits a wall after a certain point of power because of the DCT. That's where the Redeye continues to hook better (On a better tire) and the DCT GT500 doesn't. From a roll it will be a very close race, but from a dig with both cars on drag radials the Redeye will have the advantage. It is pretty cool how well the GT500 hooks with OEM tires, I do wish my Redeye would hook that well on OEM tires. However, I'm glad that the remedy is a simple tire swap. The remedy for the DCT to get better 60fts will likely be a much more costly one. While the race will be much closer from a roll, people will look at the time slips more so than anything else, and those are from a dig. Both cars are cool, just depends on what you are more focused on. Overall car, or a more drag focused one.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
First Off gotta say I bleed Mopar, that said I purchased a new REWB only drove it home before weather set in (300 miles) Also have just driven a GT 500 cold streets, that thing flat out hooked, at a 30 roll it hooked. On the street at a low roll on factory rubber were going to have a hard time, they just dont make the torque, they hook and leave, were spinning. Theres a couple track tests on factory rubber going 10.60s @133 and the sixty ft is weak in a lighter car, thats gonna be a handful when they figure them out. There working on Trannys for the cars currently and have some of the best tranny gurus rubbing on them.
Race Purestock and have spent years and years learning how to make the old cars hook on a 5 inch wide goodyear polyglass gt. Horsepower is great and MPH shows it but you gotta hook and leave to win. Cant tell you how many times around the detroit area I've seen Z06s, Hellcats, ZL1's handed there tail on OEM rubber. The stick drivers are almost always easy prey on OEM rubber, Trackhawks are the exception now.
This happens all too often around the Detroit area on OEM rubber. Gotta hook and leave!!!!!
go to about the 4.45 mark to skip the BS, not my cars either one
Really? The guy in the Cat must have been reading the news paper!

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Just saw a little video the young guy did.
The one that ran 10.6x stock with the new car. Well he went back on a drag radial and ran a mid 10.6. On the second pass the car went into clutch over temp. Basically cut the power out.
I have said before they will not likely gain what a HC/RE does with a drag radial.
The much lower low end torque is one thing against it. The launch control appears to work pretty well so it is getting more out of the stock tire than the average owner could do themselves.
I don't mess around on the street so I won't be getting my ass handed to me there.
At the track it doesn't seem to me that they will be much quicker there. So a RE should be pretty confident on a tire at the track.
Competition is good and today's performance cars are amazing.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
The one that ran 10.6x stock with the new car. Well he went back on a drag radial and ran a mid 10.6. On the second pass the car went into clutch over temp. Basically cut the power out.
Again, I agree with @Hpindy with his statement. "Fords Suck". LOL