Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

2023 Redeyes

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Do you run the gas low all the time. Thats the only thing I could think of for your bad luck with fuel pumps. If you run your tank low all the time your pumps will run hotter because there’s not enough gas to keep them cool.
Hey, are you the guy from the other forum? If so, welcome!

Yeah, I see the warning light come on, why buy gas if you still have enough for 2 days?

And geeze, every other motor in the car lasts for 20+ years and they don't have anything to cool them! Sounds like it might be a case of cheapness to me!

Member ID
Reactions
City
Columbia
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Scat Pack Shaker
Hey, are you the guy from the other forum? If so, welcome!

Yeah, I see the warning light come on, why buy gas if you still have enough for 2 days?

And geeze, every other motor in the car lasts for 20+ years and they don't have anything to cool them! Sounds like it might be a case of cheapness to me!
Yes I am on the other forum. The fuel pump is working hard the entire time the car is on so it’s up to you if you want it to work with less cooling.

I had a buddy who had fuel tanks on his pickup truck and he would always run the tank down to fumes and then switch to the other tank. He used to put new pumps in every two years and it was expensive someone told him what I told you and he never had the problem ever again. Just something to think about.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Central
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Red/Red/Redeye
Yes I am on the other forum. The fuel pump is working hard the entire time the car is on so it’s up to you if you want it to work with less cooling.

I had a buddy who had fuel tanks on his pickup truck and he would always run the tank down to fumes and then switch to the other tank. He used to put new pumps in every two years and it was expensive someone told him what I told you and he never had the problem ever again. Just something to think about.
Tangentially semi-related: I am still running my 1995 6.5 diesel Suburban K2500 I bought new. GM's great idea was to mount the injection pump in the intake valley...and then mount the fuel pump management computer called a PMD (Pump Motor Driver) on the side of it, claiming that the flowing fuel would keep it cool...yeah it would when it was running...in cool climates. But they never took into account heat soak in Florida in August. Once you shut the truck off, the underhood heat just roasted that PMD. The first PMD on my truck melted on the way home from buying the truck, brand new! The heat-soaked pumps would fry the computers and GM would deny there was any problem until they were forced to recall the pumps and extend the warranty to 100K miles. The aftermarket fix was to buy an extension harness and mount the PMD on a heat sink behind the front bumper. Never had another failure after that. So I guess my point is that fuel as a cooling method is a relatively common engineering theory. (not necessarily a good one, though) :p

Last edited:

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2

In all fairness, I went through a time when 2 of my 3 vehicles puked fuel pumps within 2 years, so I replaced the non-failed on the 3rd as preventive. Then one failed again within a year AND then one of the fuel level indicators puked and I had to remove it and bend the contacts to fix it!!! So I did 5 fuel pump jobs in 4 years! It left a biased impression.

I will seriously consider your advice in the future! Fuel pump replacements are a real PITA!!!!! And there is no fkin way I'm going to spend $190/hr for some street urchin to fix mu HC!!!!! :)