Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

auto trans shift to drive engagement delay

Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
I havent found anything much on the subject info I request. I have read however that some hellcat owners with brand new cars have an issue (if it is an issue) that when the vehicle is cold, they put the vehicle in drive and it takes a second or 2 to actually go into drive and kind of clunky as well.
I experience this the same as well, but after warm up ,it goes away. I brought this up to the service dept during my routine maintenance, and the service rep told me her brand new scat pack charger does the same thing,and that the transmission mechanic said it is no issue and completely normal. How about some of you ,does anyone else have this happen?

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Another forum member here just posted the same about a month or two ago. I tried to find his thread but didn’t. Keep typing words in the Find section to see his posts. In the end it was a valve issue in the tranny that was replaced and fixed the problem if I remember correctly.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Never experienced it on either of my cars, fingers crossed 🤞.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
I want to say I've experienced that as well.

OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #6

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Did you take it in?
No, figured it was normal (to some extent). Not bad, but I notice it sometimes.

OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #8
I may bring it to the drop off on Sunday night so they can see for themselves what it is doing, this way it will sit long enough to duplicate the issue. It is still under the power train coverage til Sept 2022, so might as well.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn Hills
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger SXT
I may bring it to the drop off on Sunday night so they can see for themselves what it is doing, this way it will sit long enough to duplicate the issue. It is still under the power train coverage til Sept 2022, so might as well.
Hi Tonyacat,
Please feel free to keep us updated regarding your situation. If we can be of any additional support while your vehicle is in service, we're just a PM away.

Rob
Dodge Cares

OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #10
Hi Tonyacat,
Please feel free to keep us updated regarding your situation. If we can be of any additional support while your vehicle is in service, we're just a PM away.

Rob
Dodge Cares
Thank you Rob, I have done what other members have suggested and I wait til the rpms are at normal range and it seems not to be as bad at all,I also see that this is a normal function as well ,thank you for the concern :)

Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn Hills
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger SXT
Thank you Rob, I have done what other members have suggested and I wait til the rpms are at normal range and it seems not to be as bad at all,I also see that this is a normal function as well ,thank you for the concern :)
Of course, Tonyacat! Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions.

Rob
Dodge Cares

OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #12
Update on this issue, I bought this car used and it had low miles. Since I have been driving it daily since April 2nd of this year, the issue has completely gone away. I think it was sitting alot and needed driving to unstick everything.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn Hills
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger SXT
Hi Tonyacat,
We're happy to hear that your concern seems to have resolved itself! Should this return in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out!

Rob
Dodge Cares