Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Backseat Deck Rattle - Argghhh!

JustForFun

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muscleville
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye Widebody
I have almost 700 miles on my Redeye, and it has already developed a very pronounced rattle in the deck above the back seat under the backglass. When driving with NO radio on and just cruising, ANY little bumps or imperfections in the road will cause that cardboard (?) piece to thump and rattly like crazy! It is driving me nuts and really ruining my driving enjoyment.

Are there any known DIY solutions to this? I would rather avoid having the dealer touch this as I fear it will simply turn into a worse thing and/or they will say they can't do anything about it.

JFF

OP
JustForFun

JustForFun

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muscleville
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Thread Starter #2
All these Challenger owners and "I'm" the only one with a rattly in the rear deck lid?

JFF

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
My rattle is due to the exhaust. I know the feeling, rattles drive me nuts as well. I will be changing my exhaust soon. Good luck with fixing your rattle.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
All these Challenger owners and "I'm" the only one with a rattly in the rear deck lid?

JFF
Would definitely check it out first myself.
Took my car back to the original dealer it was purchased from to get an extra key fob reprogrammed. (which is a high end dealer in a real swanky area). I have an M6 SRT. Took it to the service area where it's valet to the garage. Pimple face kid gets in stalls it TWICE. Walked over, told'm flat "get out" . I pulled it in myself. Thought they would say something but they didn't. Get the car home. There's a small nick on the leather shift knob. Wasn't there BEFORE. When the guy was programming the key he put a laptop in the car with him, just plopped it down on the console. Maybe that's when it happened. Point is for something so minor (although aggravating) you should really try yourself first or you could risk interior damage, scratched paint etc. THEN try and get'm to own it. If it's mech issue you can't handle or safety issue, you gotta do what you gotta do. But something so minor I'd def try myself first.

WildCat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kakastan
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat
I agree with Coolblue..try to isolate it/fix it yourself. Perhaps its something that just needs tightening or snapped back in place (many panels back there simply pop into position) may want to bump on some panels to see if any need reseating or try and shim what ever it is that is loose with some black felt, thin neoprene or similar material.
I avoid dealership interaction unless its absolutely required for exactly what coolblue stated, as it has also happened to me.(serv tech damaged my console trim)

USMC Gunny

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tucson
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
you sure it is the deck, I have a rattle that I swear comes from the passenger side front. But the wife says it is the stupid little clothes hangar thing right behind the passenger seat. Still chasing it.

I did see a video of a guy putting dynamat under their to help with vibration. Of course you have to take the backseat out and all the trim.

landoawd

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hillsborough
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
The deck on my Scat Pack was foam blocked to hell and back, and random foam was wedged in the c-pillars, under the brake light, etc. I hope the new owner enjoys their (largely) rattle-free ride. I have yet to do the same with the HC, but the driver's clothes hanger, both door cups, the deck, and the sunglass holder all rattle.

Inrfire

Member ID
Reactions
City
Omaha
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
My cars so loud now, the only rattle I hear is in my head lol

Taxinator

Member ID
Reactions
City
SANTA CLARITA
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT
I too had horrible rattling, so I figured I might as well replace the speakers while taking everything out. Replaced the Alpine speakers, installed some peel and seal, and put camper seal form tape on the underside of the rear deck cover. Rattle is almost gone, but need a little more foam in the center-rear of the deck cover next to the rear window...this should eliminate the remaining rattle. Good luck...definitely annoying!