Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Battery voltage sky rocketing, battery symbol on, and lights in dash go completely off.

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
It is a lithium battery. So is the battery damaged or is it a bad alternator making the battery put out more? I need to get this fixed asap as it is dangerous at night. The voltage is going between 15-15.8 volts. Normally it is around 14.0-14.2 volts.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
That's not good for a lithium battery . I know mine came with a warning label not to exceed 14.7 volts or damage will occur. I went in made sure my changing voltage was set to 14.5 volts max just incase .
I think your battery may be damaged and causing this issue .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #3
Ordering battery. Very scary at night when headlights go out and the road is dark and curvy. No night driving until new battery.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
A quick and dirt test would be to grab a volt meter , start the car then remove the positive cable from the battery and meter the voltage to see what the alternator is putting out .

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Ordering battery. Very scary at night when headlights go out and the road is dark and curvy. No night driving until new battery.
I would test the battery and alternator Individually first to see who is to blame .

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #6
Well it definitely needs a new battery as part of the covering material was eaten away by E85 gas containers that fell on their side and leaked out. It has been that way for about a year. Maybe the damage finally got to a cell. I ordered the Daryl Cox battery tonight. I know expensive. 784 vs 284 for a high quality battery. 500 extra for a 9 pound battery. But before I install it I will get the alternator checked out.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Well it definitely needs a new battery as part of the covering material was eaten away by E85 gas containers that fell on their side and leaked out. It has been that way for about a year. Maybe the damage finally got to a cell. I ordered the Daryl Cox battery tonight. I know expensive. 784 vs 284 for a high quality battery. 500 extra for a 9 pound battery. But before I install it I will get the alternator checked out.
Ohhh . That maybe an issue .
The darrell Cox battery is really awesome and money well spent . I would have bought that one too if they were in stock when I needed a battery. I ended up with a antigravity battery. Similar cost but not as light . I'm happy with it .

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Trickle charger,,,, I waz told a many a times. Heat in Fl drains all the power out of that energy pack in the trunk. I have insulated the garage door and and conditioned the garage. Finially getting into the 80s here.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Darrel is a pretty cool guy. I was talking to him in the staging lanes a week ago. He is at our track almost every weekend

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
When mine is charging properly, right, the guages say 14.9 to 15 volts. That is with a full charge and charging system working correctly. I looked it up in the book and that is correct.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #11
Charging system passed. Battery failed. Cox racing told me they make the battery in house. One week to make. Four days to get to me. I just will not drive the car at night.

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
Charging system passed. Battery failed. Cox racing told me they make the battery in house. One week to make. Four days to get to me. I just will not drive
Charging system passed. Battery failed. Cox racing told me they make the battery in house. One week to make. Four days to get to me. I just will not drive the car at night.
Cool, my battery from them is still going strong after 2.5 years.. 20190406_184452.jpg

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
How can I run from the scene of my nefarious crimes if I cant drive the car at night?

Glad turned out to just be the battery. Sounds like you saw the damage or at least part of it about a year back?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Did I miss the part about the battery that failed not being under warranty?

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #15
My fault. E85 leaked onto it.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #17
Well the dealership was wrong. They did not do a load test on the alternator. It had the voltage going up and down and reading at over 15.1 volts. So I bring it into a shop today for the alternator. I pick it up. The engine is running rough! I pull over. The supercharger belt is all shreaded and hanging on by a tooth. So I continue on my way home. Two mile from home the powersteering and everything else goes out. The accessory belt now is also shreaded. I made it home. But now I need a tow monday morning! I cant win!

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Wait, what? So the alternator was bad? Fried new battery? Or did I miss something, whichnis quite possible.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #19
Dealer made me wait theee hours for a five minute test. Then they stated incorrectly that the alternator was good and the battery was bad. So I bought the Darrell Cox battery arriving this thurs. hi n the mean time I went to Walmart and bought a cheap 70 dollar battery. I installed it. Same deal. 15 to 16 volts. Brought it to a local shop. They did an alternator and battery test. Alternator was bad under load test. They installed a new one. Picked it up last night. Felt rough. P2305. Coil right above alternator. Then both belts got shredded. Towing it in tomorrow morning. I can’t win.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Damn, man. I'm sorry to hear that. Hang in there - it'll get better once it's straightened out.