Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Belt failure...

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
So this happened after a couple of pulls the other night.

After a night of car shows and a few pulls in Mexico I found this the next day after an oil change. Noticed quite a bit of belt dust in areas I've never seen before. I looked at the ribs of the belt and saw this.

I've had the Litens 2.85 Hellraiser on the car for about 6000 miles. Zero issues until today. Not sure if that's to be expected with the Bando belt supplied with the Litens pulley. I'm tempted to put the factory green belt on until I decide what direction to go. I don't believe the factory belt I still have is the correct size 57 1/2" (K100570HD) for the 2.85 pulley. Still looking for the box with the factory pulley/belt.

I'm leaning towards the Metco Tensioner Pulley & Idler Pulley Kit but not sure which belt to go back with. I'm not sure why they suggested the Bando belt over the Gates green belts.

Anyone come across this issue and found the best solution?

thumbnail_20201003_162828.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Djason

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Thread Starter #2
Damn...looks like factory Gates is 58 1/2" (K100579 HD) not the 57 1/2" (K100570 HD) I need.

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
The only thing that occurs to me is to make sure that none of the ribs on any of the pulleys has any damage from a stone or something like that.

Or maybe not any damage to the pulley ribs, but maybe just something got up in there and caused some damage and debris, which then cascaded?

Was the belt you referenced (I'm not familiar with them) sold as being better than the "green" belt? Remember that at one point, the green belts were an upgrade from the factory black belt.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Bull beat me to it. Debris get in under the belt?

OP
Djason

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Thread Starter #5
Was the belt you referenced (I'm not familiar with them) sold as being better than the "green" belt? Remember that at one point, the green belts were an upgrade from the factory black belt.
No debris that I'm aware of. The car is a good weather only garage queen. 8100 miles after 20 months of ownership. Lol...with that said I have made many hard pulls on fun runs for the past 6000 or so miles.

Correct, I was under the impression this Bando belt was an upgrade from the Gates Green belts. Not sure the reasoning, I didn't ask.

Everything looked good Friday. When I changed the oil Saturday is when I noticed the excess belt dust. It looks like the belt is just coming apart. The Bando belts are what came with the Litens pulley. Trying to find the vendor I originally bought the pulley/belt from but it's not in my file for some weird reason.

After a bit of reading this morning I believe the Metco kit with the Gates Green belt is going to be the ticket for my boost levels. At 20lbs there might be an issue with belt slip, which in turn might be heating up the belt, and possibly damaging the ribs then it snowballs to failure. With additional belt wrap with the Metco tensioner/pulley I'm hoping for better results. Just not 100% sure which belt is the best to use. More research.

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Maybe just a freak occurrence?

Double check pulley ribs, pulley alignment (bearings) and if all's good, try another belt and watch closely. Obviously clean up the engine bay real well and looks for signs of dust again.

If you see it again, then you can likely rule out external circumstances.