Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Best 1974 Firebird Trans Am Just Sold For $173K

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Damn it. I owned a new 75 T/A, which was just ok. But I wonder if I could have kept my custom ordered ‘78 T/A (Pontiac TA 6.6, 4 sp - loaded) GOLD COLOR WITH NO CHICKEN ON THE HOOD, would be worth because of that one unique little difference???

They told me it was the first unit delivered in the western region that year. I was in Cheyenne and had to wait as long as we were waiting for those first Hellcats to get it. Actually to this day, I have NEVER seen one without IMO that ugly SOB on it.;) Shit.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
I had a ‘75 as well. 400/350. Silver over black. Sold it in ‘84 to buy my Roadrunner, which I still have.

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
Cool cars and superdutys were the last ones to hold on to the muscle cars days before performance cars were castrated with insurance, emissions and OPEC.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Damn it. I owned a new 75 T/A, which was just ok. But I wonder if I could have kept my custom ordered ‘78 T/A (Pontiac TA 6.6, 4 sp - loaded) GOLD COLOR WITH NO CHICKEN ON THE HOOD, would be worth because of that one unique little difference???

They told me it was the first unit delivered in the western region that year. I was in Cheyenne and had to wait as long as we were waiting for those first Hellcats to get it. Actually to this day, I have NEVER seen one without IMO that ugly SOB on it.;) Shit.
1978 would not go for a fraction of the 74 T/A. The price is high because it’s a rare 455SD. In either case, no matter the numbers, the bird on the hood is more desirable than without.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I was working at a restaurant next door to a Pontiac dealer when those were around. They kept a white 455SD with the blue screaming chicken hood on the raised ramp thingy right where I could look at it all day. Wanted one so bad I could taste it, but didn't have anywhere near the $$ to buy (or insure) it :cry:

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
Didn't a black Trans Am with like 14 original mile just sell for way more than that recently??

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
OMG This Totally just flooded my memories gate.
I absolutely Loved the Trans Am! Jesus! This one is Identical to the one John bought when we were dating! I know it's not his, but it could be!

John even installed the "Screaming Chicken" Decal himself! He bought it for $5000.00 in 1976 The car sales people that was selling it said they mismarked the advertised price. But that was when the law changed and whatever the window sticker was, that had to be the price. His Dad went down with him to the car sales place and John got it for 5,000.00 as advertised!

This is the car I learned to Shift on.
I loved the downshifting and the Pop pop Pop Noise!
God, I loved it and so did John. We were 18 and I remember how he came to my work and I looked out the big glass window and saw him in it out front. I couldn't go out at hat time, but I sure in the Hell met him for a Pizza after work to listen to his story!

It's funny with John and it took me a while to realize about him and his cars. He had ones that he loved but If I liked it he wanted to buy it.
I started saying to John. I really like that, but don't buy one.

This Trans Am is one I wish was in my garage with the other ones that John loved.
I think Car Guys have story's just like mine.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Always loved those cars

B5Cat16

Member ID
Reactions
City
S
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
It's a long story but my 74 Formula found me in June of 2011. The owner died and the wife didn't want it. I said screw it, I'll buy it. It's a real Formula 400 4 speed car. NOM engine and trans and not originally black either. Fire Corral Bronze was the original color. Anyway, I drive this thing everywhere. I commute to the office in it on sunny days. It's so comfortable and runs so good. I'm a Mopar guy at heart but this Bird is really cool. It will be 12 years in June that I've owned. I know if I sell or trade it, I'll regret it.

Attachments