Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Best deals on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and SRT oil Filter?

T_Trahan44

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2012 Challenger SXT
Any way we can help your numbers and buy directly from you, T?
If you're local to my store, yes. Otherwise, not so much. I appreciate the offer. 😁 I can try to find the best account for you guys to purchase under, though. I'll do a little testing to see what I can find.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Thanks my friend

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
So, I found the best deal at my dealership when I was getting the V86 recall done. 3 oil and filter changes for $165, making them $55/ea. My Service Manager said it's under they're cost but their hoping to make money in other services obviously.

I'd usually just do it myself but it was a few hundred miles from needing done and they had the car anyways.

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I have been shopping around for oil and filter. When I search the SRT oil filter I get the notice it is not for my 2017 Hellcat and instead refers me to the black filter. I was under the impression from other posts that the SRT filter is preferred by most. Any input would be appreciated as I have extended warranty on it and dont want to do anything to give them an excuse not to honour it if issues should arise.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I have been shopping around for oil and filter. When I search the SRT oil filter I get the notice it is not for my 2017 Hellcat and instead refers me to the black filter. I was under the impression from other posts that the SRT filter is preferred by most. Any input would be appreciated as I have extended warranty on it and dont want to do anything to give them an excuse not to honour it if issues should arise.

The SRT filter is considered to be the better filter, however I've seen the statement from FCA that it is not the "correct" filter and is not to be used. :rolleyes::sneaky:

With that said, use at your own risk.

I use the SRT filter and get my oil analyzed, the results show excellent filtration/wear. However I also change my oil on a crazy short mileage basis (6months/racing event instead of 3000miles). So keep that in mind.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
The SRT filter is considered to be the better filter, however I've seen the statement from FCA that it is not the "correct" filter and is not to be used. :rolleyes::sneaky:

With that said, use at your own risk.

I use the SRT filter and get my oil analyzed, the results show excellent filtration/wear. However I also change my oil on a crazy short mileage basis (6months/racing event instead of 3000miles). So keep that in mind.
My dealership uses/recommends the white SRT filter for my oil changes.

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
I have to wonder what the difference would be in flow rates between the 2 filters? My car will only see 3-4000 miles during driving season then will have an oil and filter change before its long winters nap......I hate the thought of that....

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Was going to post pictures of my white filter and cases of oil for my oil change monday...but forgot. You'll have to take my word for it. Always used them and I think when I did look it up the first time the p/n was listed as approved. Anyway, after X oil changes, always looks good, and I send my oil in for analysis on Bull's account.... whoops

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I have to wonder what the difference would be in flow rates between the 2 filters? My car will only see 3-4000 miles during driving season then will have an oil and filter change before its long winters nap......I hate the thought of that....

The Other place has an old thread on the differences, including flow specs, between the two. Finding it might be challenging.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Do you remember what the outcome of that was? I thought the white was actually superior but I could be wrong.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Do you remember what the outcome of that was? I thought the white was actually superior but I could be wrong.

@rayzazoo was behind that if I recall correctly, SRT won out pretty clearly.

But like most things back then, and like now, there was much "debating" over it.

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
I did a little Googling this morning and found these 2 items;

041AA Filter -
"For track-day use, SRT engineers suggest using the SRT oil filter (part number 05038041AA). Originally designed for Viper applications, it works great with all Chrysler V8 engines."

This information was sent out in a SRT news release and was publically verified by SRT engineers, and confirmed during a SRT Engineering chat session. The 041 is a factory and certified Mopar part.

"The SRT oil filter for all the past engines and the new 22mm inlet SRT filter for the Gen 4 and beyond engines share the same characteristics.
We worked with many of the filter suppliers to get the best features. Some fell out for various performance reasons but we ended up developing the current SRT filters with one of the mainstream manufacturers (it is different than their commercial offerings - or at least was when we developed it). The high flow oil pumps in our large engines (Viper is the biggest) can overpower the internal relief valve. When this valve opens it allows some of the high pressure dirty oil to bypass the filter element in order to keep the filter from being damaged. The SRT filters do indeed have a higher differential bypass valve to make sure all the oil delivered to your powerplant is clean. The housing is slightly thicker than many of the brands out there to handle the pressure but is not the thickest. The real thick ones failed our development testing (fractured at the crimped flange). The media used was one of the latest synthetics that allowed very fine filtration, more debris capacity, and much lower restriction than our standard Mopar filter (and just about every other filter out there). The final result was clean oil to your Snake, all the time, with more pressure to the internals where it is needed. I would fully recommend using this filter in your beast, I do in mine. Hope this info helps. KCC"

698632DD-E869-4F3D-8CC2-CAD6C39F8D77.jpeg

I think I’ll go with the SRT. It’s like adding a catch can, you don't need it, it just makes sense. Thanks for the input gentlemen.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Found another white and more PUP hiding in the garage (wife had set things on it). White it is, for me.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I have used the white SRT filter on my ‘15 and this ‘19. As most know the road racing is probably the most violent, repetitive and one of the best exercise of our machines to their limits in terms of RPM’s and heat. My oil pressure is always good and the oil always looks good, never has been a problem. I am going to keep using them.

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
There are better prices mentioned here for PUP, but if you buy from your dealership (I do - I want to bolster documentation I'm adhering to the six month oil and filter change requirement and specified products to maintain warranty) be sure to let them know you are doing these oil and filter changes yourself. My dealership gave me reduced prices (I'm thinking wholesale) and listed the purchaser as "______'s Garage". It was an appreciated savings.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
My dealership uses/recommends the white SRT filter for my oil changes.
Knowing how fashion conscious you can be, how could they not recommend a color matched filter??