Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Bullitt Car at Mecum Friday

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
One of two cars used in the 1968 movie classic Bullitt will be auctioned at the Mecum Kissimmee auction on Friday 1/10/20. I am not sure on the time. This car was missing for years. Owner used the car for every day transportation for years and then parked it for years. Steve McQueen even tried to buy it back at some point. The second car was found in a Mexican junkyard a few years back. What a find! I sold my Buick GSX at this Auction in 2016 and then bought my Hellcat. It’s a great auction if you get a chance to go you should. The auction is actually on now 1/7 and runs through the weekend. It’s on NBCSN. The Bullitt car will sell for millions.

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
Did you see it? It looks like a piece of crap in a glass case! But will still sell for big bucks....

OP
Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
Did you see it? It looks like a piece of crap in a glass case! But will still sell for big bucks....
Yes I saw that! There is a huge sentiment that says not to restore it.

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
Very sad too see!

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
I don't see what the big deal with it is. It's a rust bucket Mustang. So McQueen drove it in the movie. Wow. He never owned it! Everybody says it's the greatest chase seen ever! Really. which part? where it is wheel hopping it's ass off and the exhaust sounds like it's breathing through a straw. Or where it runs off the road and wrecks in mustang fashion. The chase seen in Mc Q with John Wayne and the Pontiac TA was just as good. They talk like it could hit 2.5 Million. "An Idiot and his money are soon parted" JUNK

Last edited:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I wouldn't restore it either

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I don't see what the big deal with it is. It's a rust bucket Mustang. So McQueen drove it in the movie. Wow. He never owned it! Everybody says it's the greatest chase seen ever! Really. which part? where it is wheel hopping it's as off and the exhaust sounds like it's breathing through a straw. The chase seen in Mc Q with John Wayne and the Pontiac TA was just as good. They talk like it could hit 2.5 Million. "An Idiot and his money are soon parted" JUNK
now tell us...how do you really feel...lol

OP
Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #8
I don't see what the big deal with it is. It's a rust bucket Mustang. So McQueen drove it in the movie. Wow. He never owned it! Everybody says it's the greatest chase seen ever! Really. which part? where it is wheel hopping it's as off and the exhaust sounds like it's breathing through a straw. The chase seen in Mc Q with John Wayne and the Pontiac TA was just as good. They talk like it could hit 2.5 Million. "An Idiot and his money are soon parted" JUNK
I still say it was the greatest chase scene. Filmed in real time without special effects on those damn hills. I drove those hills. They are insane. I hope you don’t think the Vin Diesel stuff are good chases?

TEXAS REDEYE

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
PASADENA
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 HELLCAT RED EYE
I think the car chase from the original Gone in 60 Seconds (70's version) is the greatest car chase ever. I don't know how many 'Eleanors' were used, but it had to be several.

OP
Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #10
I think the car chase from the original Gone in 60 Seconds (70's version) is the greatest car chase ever. I don't know how many 'Eleanors' were used, but it had to be several.
I’ll have to watch that and McQ again. Bullitt is best enjoyed on the big screen. I am speaking about a 9 year olds perspective. That’s when my father took me to see it. It was like a roller coaster ride.

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
I’m going to start a guess on what it will go for (and going at no reserve). $1.75 mil.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
What a tough car to put a value on, anything associated with Steve McQueen has a history of selling for huge dollars though!

I watch these auctions pretty closely and love old musclecars, and you cannot deny how soft the market has become in the last 18 months. These old muscle cars have lost a ton of their value - it actually makes me want to try to own one again someday!

OP
Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #13
What a tough car to put a value on, anything associated with Steve McQueen has a history of selling for huge dollars though!

I watch these auctions pretty closely and love old r The marketmusclecars, and you cannot deny how soft the market has become in the last 18 months. These old muscle cars have lost a ton of their value - it actually makes me want to try to own one again someday!
I have the same thought too Eric. I’m waiting for the market to really crash.

OP
Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #14
I’m going to start a guess on what it will go for (and going at no reserve). $1.75 mil.
I think you are way low. I’m thinking over 5 mil

OP
Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #15
I just watched McQ chase. Nice Trans Am I agree but he is chasing a damn laundry van!😂. Bullitt is chasing a 440 Charger RT. Not even close.

OP
Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #16
And Bullitt.

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Same auction will have the Eleanor car used in the remake, and Christine the '58 Plymouth Fury used in the movie. If I had mega dollars I would be coming home with Christine. Estimates are $300,000- $400,000 for her. Hmm, 6 new Hellcats or one Fury?

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
McQueen was definitely the King of Cool. Squint and stare worked really well for guys like him and Clint Eastwood.

Last edited:

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
I still say it was the greatest chase scene. Filmed in real time without special effects on those damn hills. I drove those hills. They are insane. I hope you don’t think the Vin Diesel stuff are good chases?
Anything connected to VD is not to my liking!

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
Why didn't they use a Cuda instead of the Peg leg 318 boat charger.