Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Car Dealers Making It Difficult To Return Leased Cars

MiHiHemi

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
How can that even be legal? Oh yea, they don’t care.

Hpindy

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Gee I wonder why "car salesmen" get a bad name .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

OP
Bkuz

Bkuz

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #4

Hellcatcfp

3000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Simi Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat

ChargerChallenger

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Wonder if theirs a clause in the lease that states if dealer won’t take the car then the car is yours for free:p. And really at this time I can see the issues and hell I’d drive the crap out mine since at the end of the lease she was at the under mileage:whistle:

MikeD1

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I don't see how they can refuse it. I'd call the lease company and tell them to come get their pile of crap out of my driveway & that I was dropping the insurance.
If they want me to extend, it would need to be substantially discounted - like 50% off what I had been paying with an appropriate mileage allowance added on.

Jack_Toepfer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
The bank owns the car, not the dealership.
I called Chrysler Capital to come out and inspect my car in my driveway. They did this 3 weeks before I was scheduled to return it. This was on 3/20. I told Chrysler Capital where the vehicle was going to be returned - a local dealer - not the one I leased it from. I also explained that I would not be leasing or buying, just dropping it off.
I then tried to give the keys to someone at the dealership, which closed 3 hours early that day. This is after I spoke with a salesman and a service person - that day - that said I could drop it off and who I should give the keys to.
I put the keys in an envelope which was filled out with pertinent information and dropped all 3 of them in the box. This was after I parked the car front and center in their lot.
The next day I got a phone call from someone asking where I put the keys, and that he saw the car in the back lot. That's when I explained that I parked it in the front of the lot, and someone who works there must have collected the keys, and took it upon themselves to move the vehicle. I explained that I no longer knew where the keys were. He called back, mentioned that he found the keys, and verified that it was a lease return. It took about a week for that dealer to communicate to Chrysler Capital that they had received the car, so that the lease could be terminated. That happened on the day that Chrysler Capital sent me a letter asking why I didn't return the car when I was supposed to.

Given the circumstances, it went smoothly. I didn't leave the dealership much choice. If they didn't like it, they would have to take it up with the owner of the car - Chrysler Capital.
I ended up in that very lot almost 2 weeks later, and the car was still parked in the back. :cry:
I may end up getting my wife a Durango this week, which will save me the $395 disposition fee.

I don't see how they can refuse it. I'd call the lease company and tell them to come get their pile of crap out of my driveway & that I was dropping the insurance.
If they want me to extend, it would need to be substantially discounted - like 50% off what I had been paying with an appropriate mileage allowance added on.
Chrysler Capital wanted to extend my payments, but not my miles. No discount on the monthly rate.
A friend of mine was in a bind, has no miles on his car, and he extended his payments to October.

Last edited:

MikeD1

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Dropping the car off like you did I would recommend taking tons of pics (interior & exterior) in their lot just in case one of the dealership fools damaged it jockeying around the lot.
Also helps document you left the car there in case the bank (or FCA) questions it later.

No way would I agree to extending the lease without concessions unless it was to my advantage (no replacement & I was under mileage) otherwise you could end up paying mileage penalties or run the tires down to < the min. they allow or the miles warrant an expensive maintenance. By extending, you are doing them a HUGE favor !!

Jack_Toepfer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dropping the car off like you did I would recommend taking tons of pics (interior & exterior) in their lot just in case one of the dealership fools damaged it jockeying around the lot.
Also helps document you left the car there in case the bank (or FCA) questions it later.
Believe me... nothing has ever been more documented :)
I cleared all of the history in the car, so in the event that someone from the dealership took it out and did 100mph in it, it was recorded that I erased it with 42,655 miles on the odometer... any miles after that were by someone else... because I no longer had access to the keys, they were in a lock box. Pictures and video of everything. Even dropped it off dirty so that they'd know if someone touched it.

Every single time I left the car at a service station, someone dicked with it... and every single time they did I caught it on camera.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
Clearly leasing works for some (@Jack_Toepfer and others), but it's this kind of crap that is why I don't lease.

My buddy leased a car and at the end of the lease they refused it based on excess damage, basically forcing him to buy it (shortened, simplified version).

When I buy a car, I know every bit of expense AND risk up front. The only unknown is me... I make the payments, I own the car. If I choose, I sell it.

:)

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Clearly leasing works for some (@Jack_Toepfer and others), but it's this kind of crap that is why I don't lease.

My buddy leased a car and at the end of the lease they refused it based on excess damage, basically forcing him to buy it (shortened, simplified version).

When I buy a car, I know every bit of expense AND risk up front. The only unknown is me... I make the payments, I own the car. If I choose, I sell it.

Never really understood leasing so I steer clear of it. Also, leasing is more expensive in my neck of the woods v.s.buying the car.

I think nowadays with the whole COVID-19 situation, dealers are already sitting on inventory. They probably don't want to add a lease return on top of it that'll probably sit on their lot for a while.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Never really understood leasing so I steer clear of it. Also, leasing is more expensive in my neck of the woods v.s.buying the car.

I think nowadays with the whole COVID-19 situation, dealers are already sitting on inventory. They probably don't want to add a lease return on top of it that'll probably sit on their lot for a while.

When I study it and correlate the terms of leasing with the equivalent terms of a loan, for that moment, I get it. But the part that never seems to make any sense is the returns, who determines what's "normal wear and tear", (my buddy above got hosed on that), and then the unknowns of the current situation.

I suspect it's not all that bad, but it's still not as straight forward as a loan, everything is up front, nothing is left to future circumstances or other individuals, like I said, it's all on me. And I'm willing to pay for that.

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
St Petersburg
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Charger, 20 Durango SRT, 17 GT350. 98 C5
I've only done one lease from a dealer. A NEW 2000 Nissan Altima. After signing the ppwrk and leaving dealer lot, the "dealer" was no longer involved with that car in terms of finance.

I can't remember who the finance company was, but I think it was thru Nissan North America at the time. 3 yrs later, it's time to buy it, trade it or turn it in. I notified the finance company I'd be turning it in. They contract a car hauler guy to come to my house and get it.

Returning it to the dealer I purchased it from or any Nissan dealer was NOT an option.

These stories sound like both dealer and banks trying to pass the buck onto each other so customer either keeps it, by buying it or trading it in on another car. Bottom line. No money to be made on a customer simply returning car at end of lease if no overage on miles and no costs associated with wear & tear.

1971demon

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

Jack_Toepfer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
I agree 100%, everyone's experience will vary. My wife is on her 4th lease, and is going through a buy-back right now. The lease experience has been good to her, but this particular vehicle can't hang on to a transmission (2020 Ford Explorer). She will likely lease a Durango or a Traverse. Trying to get her to buy a Durango since they are offering 0%/84mo ... which is fantastic.

The Charger was my first lease. $0 down. $650/mo for 15k miles/yr. This is about the time many people were trying to get the $499 Challenger HC lease deals that we heard so much about.
The car itself, was/is amazing. The dealer experience - excellent (other than hot-rodding the car every time they got the key).
At the end of the day, I paid $23,400 to put almost 43,000 miles on the baddest car in the land with a sticker price of $72k.
Paid $65k for it (leftover 2016 in 2017 with 1 mile on it). $65k-$23.4k = $42,600. KBB on the car is $42k. I could have then bought the car for that much, but... no. It's been through 3 winters and 2 young boys. You'd never know it, the interior was immaculate, but it's been through the salt, down the track, and put away wet for 3 years. I got to treat it like a lease... A car guy with a lease, no doubt, but a lease nonetheless.

When the lender inspected it, it got top rank across all categories, minus the tires reading 3/32 instead of 4/32. The next owner will love it. Runs like a top... I have a STACK of slips to prove it :cool:

The car cost me $22/day ... totally worth it. It created memories for my family and friends, brought me into your lives, and it didn't cost me $1200/mo.

MikeD1

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
^^^ I agree, leases have their place. For a while on the 90's I leased 3 Lincoln's in a row. I needed a lux car to drive clients to lunch/dinners in and FORD was offering super cheap deals. 0 down, cheap rate, 2 year leases with 15K/yr mile allowance. It was perfect for me as I was pilling the miles on (just under the 15K/yr) and tho they were nice cars, I didn't want to keep any of them or have to pay for maintenance/repairs.

The deals went pretty smoothly till turn-in time on the last one. They were not happy I was just dumping it (just under the 30K limit and tires just 1/32 from the end) & not getting anything else from them.
Was lucky my new car had come in and I just parked the last Lincoln for the last few weeks to avoid wearing the tires down any more & having to spring for new rubber.

1971demon

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

Never leased a personal car..(my toys)...always leased company vehicles (my trucks)..both scenarios are the best way for me to go and the most cost effective...wife's car..is never a lease..she drives less than 5000 miles a year...

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Never leased a personal car..(my toys)...always leased company vehicles (my trucks)..both scenarios are the best way for me to go and the most cost effective...wife's car..is never a lease..she drives less than 5000 miles a year...

I've always thought that a lease made some level of sense for a car that was more of a "tool" than a "possession".

So yeah, work trucks, etc, leasing seems to make sense, but for my personal vehicles, I've always kept them for 15-20 years...

1971demon

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I've always thought that a lease made some level of sense for a car that was more of a "tool" than a "possession".

So yeah, work trucks, etc, leasing seems to make sense, but for my personal vehicles, I've always kept them for 15-20 years...
Every cool car I've bought since 97...I still own..every bike since 84..same thing...in that same period..I've had 8 different pickup trucks..all leases...with tax deductions for the business