Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Charger and 315/50/17 - What did you do for clearance/fit?

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Anticipated wheel is the Forgestar D5 Beadlock.

Car is and will always be factory ride height.

Track only setup. No street miles. Some possible long nights in Mexico but honestly doubtful.

If that isnt an ideal combination...what would be?

Last piece after the CCI driveshaft goes on before I cut it loose on kill.

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
There is a metal rib that sticks out underneath the the plastic liner. It’s located on the left side in the left rear & on the right side on the right rear. 004BB0F5-C68B-40A9-8CDC-7B16ECC57219.jpeg I had to cut some plastic away to see it then I used a 8 pound hammer and pounded away. Now no more rubbing. Went to Home Depot and bought some black spray paint to paint over the area were I flattened out that metal rib to prevent rust. My car is black so you cant even tell I really did anything.
If you don’t want to cut the plastic you can remove it. Hammer that bad boy in color match if you can paint it and cover it back up and your done.

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Great post @Primetime Hellcat 17

To add, make sure you get the correct offset for your wheels. Mine were ordered incorrectly and we had to beat the living daylights out of the finder wells to make the Weld S79, Mickey Thompson 315/50/17 fit.

This is just the first phase of beating the finder well. After we beat this area for 30m, I should have taken a picture, but didn't. But the entire rear of the finder well was beaten back. To include the front of the finder well needs "massaging".

One last thing: if your shop has an air hammer, please use it. That 8lb sledge hammer...SUCKS!!

Tire Well.JPG

OP
F

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #4
The only thing that concerns me about removing portions of the liner is my car is a true summer DD regardless of weather. Even seen snow a few times this year by accident.

Wonder if the "few extra push pins" would work? Saw someone did that somewhere...

The rib doesnt scare me. Had to hammer on the V and paint over to fit the 345 ET SS. Car had a wide ass which helped.

There just seems to be a wide variance among vehicles.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
The only thing that concerns me about removing portions of the liner is my car is a true summer DD regardless of weather. Even seen snow a few times this year by accident.

Wonder if the "few extra push pins" would work? Saw someone did that somewhere...

The rib doesnt scare me. Had to hammer on the V and paint over to fit the 345 ET SS. Car had a wide ass which helped.

There just seems to be a wide variance among vehicles.
I just did my Redeye Challenger with a 17X10 +30 offset and the 315/50R17 ET STREET R. I am not 100% sure but I always thought the Charger had more room. I released 1/2 of the tub and folded it out of the way and then got to work. I beat the rib down and even some of the other rib nearby. I did a LOT of hammer blows to try and do a nice Job of it. I then hit that whole area with a 4-1/2" grinder to smooth it out and painted it with spray can paint. Then I used a heat gun to carefully remove the cast in rib and bumps and any areas that were naturally popping out to make sure they were all gone and the whole area was smooth. Then I put the tub back and pushed real hard to the frame and forward and drilled my first 1/8" hole for a large head steel rivit. Then I put 2 or 3 more in stragic locations and was done with it. I did only cut ONE 2" X 2" section out of the tub to eliminate that boss or "stand off" and then rivited that area to the frame (just to the right of my finger in this pic where there is an upside down U shape and a push pin). I also did the "wheel tub mod for Drag Radials" to improve clearance to the back half of the tub. Nothing has ever rubbed driving around taking corners etc. Not even once. And, I still have 98% of my OEM Wheel tub.

https://www.hellcat.org/threads/wheel-tub-mod-for-drag-radials.14122/

. DSCN2624.JPG

OP
F

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #6
Are there any worries with any water or corrosion/rust up where you drilled for fasteners?

It honestly doesnt look real bad and I'm probably overthinking the whole deal.

Probably could use a thin rubber to seal it up too.