Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Cracked Windshield - Insurance vs. Out-of-pocket

OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
Thread Starter #21
Many policies offer zero glass deductible. Also while your current rates usually wont normally be affected, if you ever go to switch carriers they will see that you made a glass claim. They will surely use that against you when quoting a new policy.
Maybe.....but I can take my multi-car insurance needs elsewhere, no biggie.
In CT a glass claim isn't a big deal..
Until it's time to renew the policy. Liberty Mutual dropped me for three (3) windshield replacements in 2 years. Along with my wife hitting a Christmas Tree....
Are you sure the hitting a Christmas tree wasn't the real reason? :unsure: :LOL:

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Maybe.....but I can take my multi-car insurance needs elsewhere, no biggie.

Are you sure the hitting a Christmas tree wasn't the real reason? :unsure::LOL:
I want to hear the Christmas tree story.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
So - I was driving through RIDICULOUS heavy road construction in Memphis a few weeks ago, and I heard something "ping" into my windshield. Next morning I notice a crack starting from the lower pass. side edge extending diagonal about 8". So it can't be repaired and must be replaced. I checked the price of the windshield itself, and it was over 700 dollars!

- By far the most expensive windshield I've seen. So - I have a 500 dollar deductible through my insurance. I decided to schedule through Safelite to have them come out and replace it. I noticed I could view the invoice online, and I see the cost breakdown.....I basically pay my 500, and it lists my insurance as only paying $3.26 !!!!!

Needless to say, I called up a rep from Safelite on the phone and asked them if I could just pay out of pocket instead of making any insurance claim. The lady on the phone said the pricing would be different. I asked how much I would have to pay then....and after being put on hold for a minute, she came back and told me it would cost OVER 1600 DOLLARS if I wanted to pay for it all myself. Is it normal for it to cost this damn much?? I had a windshield replaced on the wife's 2015 Kia Sportage a few years back....and no insurance and it was only around 340 bucks out of pocket.

I mean....I knew it might cost a little more, but that's insane! The Safelite rep didn't seem to have any answers. Anyone dealt with this or know what gives?!? :confused:
I had to have the windshield replaced in my Challenger within the first 7 days of owning it. I went through Safelite and saw the same things you did as far as their price, and what they were charging for it. I have since dropped my glass coverage deductible to 0 since it seems like windshields can take the smallest to pebble hits any longer without cracking in very short order, and I got tired of paying $250 a pop for the deductible.

I put 3 windshields in one of my other daily driver cars within 1 year due to how easily they chipped/cracked. By the time I was done that year, I had paid over $1000 in deductibles for windshields. I dropped my glass deductible to 0 after that. I offset the minor premium increase by dropping some other items on my policy that I never used.

OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #24
Well, my windshield got replaced yesterday. I paid my 500 buck deductable and that's the end of it hopefully. I mentioned to the installer guy that this is the most $$ window I've had replaced, and he said it's like that on all the cars pretty much....the more expensive the car the more $$ is charged for replacement glass. Kinda funny that he also mentioned it was good that I was going through my insurance or else it would cost 1500 bucks or more if I paid for it myself.....

I can only conclude that my insurance company has an agreement with Safelite. I assume Safelite is giving the insurance company a big discount, and in return Safelite gets a lot more business every year....

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Well, my windshield got replaced yesterday. I paid my 500 buck deductable and that's the end of it hopefully. I mentioned to the installer guy that this is the most $$ window I've had replaced, and he said it's like that on all the cars pretty much....the more expensive the car the more $$ is charged for replacement glass. Kinda funny that he also mentioned it was good that I was going through my insurance or else it would cost 1500 bucks or more if I paid for it myself.....

I can only conclude that my insurance company has an agreement with Safelite. I assume Safelite is giving the insurance company a big discount, and in return Safelite gets a lot more business every year....
Yeah because a Hellcat windshield is more then a V6:unsure:

OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #26
Yeah because a Hellcat windshield is more then a V6:unsure:
Hey, I get what you're saying, but I didn't create the game....I'm just forced to play it like everyone else.

- Maybe I should have given them a VIN for a Challenger SE instead of a RE and outsmart everyone! :rolleyes:

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Well maybe everything has gotten expensive but 3 years ago Safelite replaced my Shaker 392windshield and the glass was $299 and OEM.

I mentioned how cheap it was and the Safelite guy said our windshields arent expensive and then pointed to a random Toyota down the street from my house and said that windshield would be like $1500.

My glass coverage in AZ was free with USAA (I think or so cheap it was a no brainer) and I had zero deductible. It’s a state by state thing though, can’t get the same coverage here in UT.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Edit - missed the part in your original post about the cost of a new one, just saw the $1600 comment not the $700 one.

Well I just called my dealer and asked the parts dude what the windshield cost. If you have rain sensitive wipers, list price is $767 so prices have definitely gone up!

That’s for my 2016 Challenger.

Last edited:

parttimer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
crazyweathertown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
My GF has had her Subaru windshield replaced TWICE in the last 2 years with no out of pocket from insurance. We just moved to SC, our new policies include glass break with no deductible as well.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
I had full glass coverage in AZ for many years and it continues here in TN. Never cost me a dime out of my pocket. Never leave home without it.