Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Darrel Cox lithium battery issues

Ricky Racer

U.S. Army Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vancouver
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018, dodge demon
Just received my Darrel Cox battery a few days ago, the install was nice and easy, simply take out the old battery and put in the new one. So I decided to do some testing at home before taking it to the track to make sure this new lithium battery can take the abuse I was going to throw at it. The battery came about 75% charged so I charged it up with the supplied 4 amp li-po charger, the demon started right up voltage around 14.2 all good so far. The problems started when I put the car in drag mode, more specific the after race cool down mode. I brought the car to operating temperature activated the race cool down button shut off the car and let the cool down fans and pump run through there cycle, (about 5 minutes) so far no problems so I started the car again drove home and parked in the drive way shut the car off and let the race cool down fans do there thing for 5 more minutes. That’s two runs, so I started it up again and put the car in the garage leaving the race cool down feature on a third time, it ran through its cycle but I could hear the fans starting to slow down a little, well that third cycle all but killed the battery, car would not start after that. This is a brand new fully charged battery designed for this car and I killed it in less than an hour. If I’m having problems with this battery at home what’s it going to do at the track! I can’t trust this battery to do the the same job as the original AGM battery that has never let me down at the track. I really wanted this light weight battery to work. I will call them Monday to see if we can work something out but for now it’s not looking good.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Have you tried reaching out to him? Darryl is a great guy and will have the answers for you no doubt

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Wow, I have a 6 year old AA that is nothing but GOLD. Good luck.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I talked to daryel about this. Call him Monday he will get you figured out.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
One thing we know about Darrel is he will make it right. :)

Doublewide

Member ID
Reactions
City
Little Rock
State
AR
Country
United States
My DCR has been going strong for 3 years now. Absolutely love mine

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Just received my Darrel Cox battery a few days ago, the install was nice and easy, simply take out the old battery and put in the new one. So I decided to do some testing at home before taking it to the track to make sure this new lithium battery can take the abuse I was going to throw at it. The battery came about 75% charged so I charged it up with the supplied 4 amp li-po charger, the demon started right up voltage around 14.2 all good so far. The problems started when I put the car in drag mode, more specific the after race cool down mode. I brought the car to operating temperature activated the race cool down button shut off the car and let the cool down fans and pump run through there cycle, (about 5 minutes) so far no problems so I started the car again drove home and parked in the drive way shut the car off and let the race cool down fans do there thing for 5 more minutes. That’s two runs, so I started it up again and put the car in the garage leaving the race cool down feature on a third time, it ran through its cycle but I could hear the fans starting to slow down a little, well that third cycle all but killed the battery, car would not start after that. This is a brand new fully charged battery designed for this car and I killed it in less than an hour. If I’m having problems with this battery at home what’s it going to do at the track! I can’t trust this battery to do the the same job as the original AGM battery that has never let me down at the track. I really wanted this light weight battery to work. I will call them Monday to see if we can work something out but for now it’s not looking good.
You're kidding, right? You can't use the race cooldown with that battery. There is nothing wrong with it. It just does NOT have enough capacity to run that system. ALSO, it has a higher voltage, so the battery check mark or permissive will NOT work with the race cooldawn system and it WILL drain the battery to Zero. It will. 100%.

The battery will be fine but it is not intended for that system. Does not have enough Amp Hours. Heck if you have to move the car up like 8 times in the staging lanes it might go dead (fail to start). I always fast idle the car a bit if I am in that situation.

OP
Ricky Racer

Ricky Racer

U.S. Army Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vancouver
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018, dodge demon
Thread Starter #8
Ron; thanks for the info, so the battery will work as long as you don’t use the after race cool down feature. That’s good to know, there web site does not mention this anywhere. Im glad I tested it out at home first before taking it to the track.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
You're kidding, right? You can't use the race cooldown with that battery. There is nothing wrong with it. It just does NOT have enough capacity to run that system. ALSO, it has a higher voltage, so the battery check mark or permissive will NOT work with the race cooldawn system and it WILL drain the battery to Zero. It will. 100%.

The battery will be fine but it is not intended for that system. Does not have enough Amp Hours. Heck if you have to move the car up like 8 times in the staging lanes it might go dead (fail to start). I always fast idle the car a bit if I am in that situation.
But is it billed as a direct replacement? If not I would advise them to review their marketing materials.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Ron; thanks for the info, so the battery will work as long as you don’t use the after race cool down feature. That’s good to know, there web site does not mention this anywhere. Im glad I tested it out at home first before taking it to the track.
Yes, my Friend drained his at the track. He had enabled the race cooldown feature and it ran every time he shut the car off. Whithout that battery condition function/checkmark in the permissives for the race cooldown system it quickly ran his battery down. Then he lost the SRT Pages.
I even drained my Braille at Famoso way back doing the same thing. Even though it has extra capacity the protection is not there. I had the race cooldown enabled and it was hot outside and every time I moved the car up in the lanes the system kicked of for the 5 minute run. Battery, GONE!

Darryl will make you a battery with 4 cells instead of 3 for extra capacity. But I still would not chance it. I have not used Race Cooldown since I drained my Battery at Famoso.

I think the Battery is Direct Fit. Not direct replacement. Not as far as capacity anyways........Just sayin.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
My lithium has more capacity then the stock one and weighs 15 lbs. I wouldn't be afraid of using the cool down. I know bmason tested the arc angel with running a cool down I believe in the garage with no issues

OP
Ricky Racer

Ricky Racer

U.S. Army Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vancouver
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018, dodge demon
Thread Starter #12
I will call Cox racing tomorrow but for now it looks like I will be putting the original battery back in for the race track. I never had a battery problem using the race cool down feature before. It’s supposed to be 92 degrees at the track this Wednesday so I will be using the cool down feature. track temperature will probably be around 130 degrees so there will be no grip anyway.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I will call Cox racing tomorrow but for now it looks like I will be putting the original battery back in for the race track. I never had a battery problem using the race cool down feature before. It’s supposed to be 92 degrees at the track this Wednesday so I will be using the cool down feature. track temperature will probably be around 130 degrees so there will be no grip anyway.
I just bought an ice box. I haven’t had good enough luck with the cool down feature.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I just bought an ice box. I haven’t had good enough luck with the cool down feature.
I removed my burnbox because it would flat my battery everytime i used it. Went through 3-4 batteries before I finally wised up.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
My lithium has more capacity then the stock one and weighs 15 lbs. I wouldn't be afraid of using the cool down. I know bmason tested the arc angel with running a cool down I believe in the garage with no issues
He tested it for more than a half hour but it was with a Tazer turning on the fans .

OP
Ricky Racer

Ricky Racer

U.S. Army Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vancouver
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018, dodge demon
Thread Starter #16
Just got off the phone with Darrel Cox, and he explained the correct procedure for using the race cool down feature on the demon with the lithium battery. Darrel said the battery just needs a 15 to 20 minute charge between cycles. You can’t run the after race cooler function every time you shut the car off multiple times without charging it back up, unlike the OEM battery which I never had a problem with but is also a 48 pound chunk of lead. Darrel is sending me a 6 amp charger (for free) for the track. So I’m going to give the battery a go this Wednesday. Stay tuned.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Charger for the track runs off of?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Interesting

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
I'm waiting to see if the battery can be charged sufficiently between runs with that charger.