Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Demon 170 performance in perspective…

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Back when the first Demon was presented…. It was claimed to have run a 9.65 and the world went crazy 😜. Shortly after….. I read about how they did it. The below sea level conditions, killer track prep and hundreds of runs by multiple prepped cars, and I thought… man there are going to be a lot of disappointed new Demon owners when they can’t even get into the nines, let alone do that. A small number (Ron here being one of them) set out to do just that. It wasn’t easy. A annual event even got started (Legion of Demons) to go after it. Years later it has been done. So… now the new 170 has thrown down a 8.91 and the world goes crazy 😜. See where I’m going with this? Reports are that that number was run (NHRA Certified) in February at No Problem Raceway in New Orleans. Reported DA was -1100 ft. Add the same prep and effort as before. So… no doubt they did it. But…. they sure as hell didn’t do it on that promo pass in Vegas. The DA was reported to be +2800 ft at the time that was made. This car is no doubt faster than the original Demon but I’m predicting 9.4’s when they start to find tracks next fall. Some people out there are going to start to find out how hard it is to run in the eights. 😝

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Back when the first Demon was presented…. It was claimed to have run a 9.65 and the world went crazy 😜. Shortly after….. I read about how they did it. The below sea level conditions, killer track prep and hundreds of runs by multiple prepped cars, and I thought… man there are going to be a lot of disappointed new Demon owners when they can’t even get into the nines, let alone do that. A small number (Ron here being one of them) set out to do just that. It wasn’t easy. A annual event even got started (Legion of Demons) to go after it. Years later it has been done. So… now the new 170 has thrown down a 8.91 and the world goes crazy 😜. See where I’m going with this? Reports are that that number was run (NHRA Certified) in February at No Problem Raceway in New Orleans. Reported DA was -1100 ft. Add the same prep and effort as before. So… no doubt they did it. But…. they sure as hell didn’t do it on that promo pass in Vegas. The DA was reported to be +2800 ft at the time that was made. This car is no doubt faster than the original Demon but I’m predicting 9.4’s when they start to find tracks next fall. Some people out there are going to start to find out how hard it is to run in the eights. 😝
For some reason I dont expect this one to be as hard to do. If not this year then next if the right people have one

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #3
For some reason I dont expect this one to be as hard to do. If not this year then next if the right people have one
I think it’s going to be harder. Knocking half a second off a 9.4 is a lot harder than going from a 10.1 to a 9.6. I know comparing my car to even these things isn’t exactly apples to apples but I have experienced how much harder it gets the faster you go. People at the Vegas event, stopwatch timed that pass and are saying it was a ballpark 9.5. On the other hand…. I ran a pass the day before where my throttle cable broke and shut it down before the 1/8 mile. I coasted in gear to the 1/4 and ran a 10.00 at 90 mph. That would have given one of the old Demons a run for it. 😂

clv22p

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nashville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger 1320
I don’t think you see many at the track. Unfortunately I think most are destined to be art pieces in a garage.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
So I went 8.88 with the 2.7 at 22.5 psi. But that’s not a factory tune and I suspect I was running a good amount more timing than they are. I did it on the same tire and 17in wheels. But again. My tune I used was prolly a little more spiced up

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
What was your mph Jon? That'll say a lot about the tune I think. 151 mph is pretty spicy.

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #7
Wouldn’t it be fun to know the details of the tune and what fuel they were actually using. I be thinking that the 8.9 was important enough to turn the screws on that. Of coarse I doubt they would do anything less than truthful 😆

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Subd

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
should be a tad less problematic with respect to axle, diff, and driveshaft breakage with the beefed up drivetrain (engine too); very interested to see how it all holds up, assuming anyone with a 170 actually tries to achieve the advertised numbers...

Last edited:

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
A pulley and tune and u went 8.88 with no weight reduction and a stock blower on E85? Wow nice!

So I went 8.88 with the 2.7 at 22.5 psi. But that’s not a factory tune and I suspect I was running a good amount more timing than they are. I did it on the same tire and 17in wheels. But again. My tune I used was prolly a little more spiced up

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
A pulley and tune and u went 8.88 with no weight reduction and a stock blower on E85? Wow nice!
I pulled seats for the 8.88 but I did run a few 8.9s with full interior

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I think it’s going to be harder. Knocking half a second off a 9.4 is a lot harder than going from a 10.1 to a 9.6. I know comparing my car to even these things isn’t exactly apples to apples but I have experienced how much harder it gets the faster you go. People at the Vegas event, stopwatch timed that pass and are saying it was a ballpark 9.5. On the other hand…. I ran a pass the day before where my throttle cable broke and shut it down before the 1/8 mile. I coasted in gear to the 1/4 and ran a 10.00 at 90 mph. That would have given one of the old Demons a run for it. 😂
When they were testing at 131 they were in the 9.3 in +DA. This was back in October. I'm sure they made the car faster since then and -1100 DA helped. If a racer has one in Maryland when the DA is -1000 or more in the fall I think they will be close

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
What was your mph Jon? That'll say a lot about the tune I think. 151 mph is pretty spicy.
I’ve done a lot of 150s fastest has been 155
[

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Wouldn’t it be fun to know the details of the tune and what fuel they were actually using. I be thinking that the 8.9 was important enough to turn the screws on that. Of coarse I doubt they would do anything less than truthful 😆
One ethonal R was used

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Probably gonna be a 9 2 to 9.4 car for average joe.....still not bad and if the trans brake is setup right should make RT good as well.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
if their flex is setup to see e90 then my guess max timing is 18 degrees and 17 on e85.
second thing. It will have to bleed boost depending on ethonal content.
another thing to all the haters that say e85 can’t go through the factory cats. Well here you go.
My concern is with cat over temp still. These cars could still be really choked down just like the redeye.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
I am on it.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Dodge has been testing at 131 again. @jonx96 has seen them Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I kept telling him to drive into the track and get an up close look but he wouldn't. He did get this picture driving by 82736.jpeg

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I did see one leaving yesterday. He was moving very fast down the road. I was trying to get a pic

Last edited:

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I did see one leaving yesterday. He was moving very fast down the road. I was able to get a pic
Post the picture?