Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Demon long block swap

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Yesterday I got the 12 mm allen socket, took the oil filter nipple off the 5.7 and it fit the 6.2! One thing not to forget is if you’re running a rear sump pan, be sure to knock out the dip stick plug before installing the oil pan. I completed the oiling system, filled her with synthetic M1 0-40 and a quart of Lucas, got her primed using a high torque drill and oil flow was great. I installed the valve covers, checked the spark plug gaps and installed,they were .028 (stock plugs were Bosch R6) before installing the coil packs.

View attachment 138318 View attachment 138319 View attachment 138320 View attachment 138321 View attachment 138322 View attachment 138323 View attachment 138324 View attachment 138325
Looking good!!!! Following this closely

OP
M

Mopar78

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Waco
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2014 Ram RC SWB 4x4
Thread Starter #22
Yesterday I put the engine into the Ram. While I was connecting the wiring harness one of the oil sensor unit plugs was unusually tight so I'm going to take a closer look at it. The main ground to block bolt was a different thread type so I change it out. The knock sensors connectors where not the same so I used the ones from the 5.7. I'm going to check With MMX and make sure there are no issues with this.

The transmission is bolted to the block and the flex plate is next. For the trucks with rear sumps and dipsticks take caution if you have headers and a 4x4. On mine I have SS long tube headers and the factory dipstick will work with 1 slight mod. I'll cover that next if I get time to work on it this evening.

Domon oil 5-4-24 1.jpg

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Yes, the knock sensors are known to be different
Yesterday I put the engine into the Ram. While I was connecting the wiring harness one of the oil sensor unit plugs was unusually tight so I'm going to take a closer look at it. The main ground to block bolt was a different thread type so I change it out. The knock sensors connectors were not the same so I used the ones from the 5.7. I'm going to check With MMX and make sure there are no issues with this.

The transmission is bolted to the block and the flex plate is next. For the trucks with rear sumps and dipsticks take caution if you have headers and a 4x4. On mine I have SS long tube headers and the factory dipstick will work with 1 slight mod. I'll cover that next if I get time to work on it this evening.

View attachment 138336

OP
M

Mopar78

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Waco
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2014 Ram RC SWB 4x4
Thread Starter #24
Yes, the knock sensors are known to be different
Do you know if the 5.7 will work fine?

OP
M

Mopar78

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Waco
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2014 Ram RC SWB 4x4
Thread Starter #25
Well Crap!! While torquing down the last torque converter bolt, this happened... It seems like you should not reuse the bolts but replace them. I had to pull the transmission and transfer case, remove the converter just to get this sheared bolt out. Took about 6 hrs to pull and put the transmission back in. That and Mothers Day (I was not about to touch the Ram lol) put me 2 days behind schedule.

Anyways the intake plates are well made and are what seems to be the trick to make the swap possible. I bought new o-rings for the Whipple and changed the blower oil while I was at it. The hard part should be done and reassembling can continue. Also it was confirmed that the 5.7 knock sensors will work on the 6.2.

Demon 5-11-24 5.jpg Demon 5-11-24 4.jpg Demon 5-11-24 3.jpg Demon 5-11-24 2.jpg

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
It's probably wise since it's a "New Build" that replacing the bolts would be a good idea anyway.
I've heard of different problems with bolts if they aren't right or used.

I had a friend with a Twin Turbo build and not replacing the bolt for the added HP caused an entire driveline to fail and come apart.

ARP is a good site for the higher HP bolts.
https://arp-bolts.com/kits/bulk.php?PL=89&M=2&W=*&D=*&P=*&WS=*&Set1_page=7