Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Dying battery?

Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
It was 40 degrees here early this morning when I got off work. I started her up no problem (via remote) got in to go home and the little red battery symbol was on. My battery gauge was reading 13.1 volts for the 15 mile drive home. When I got home I turned it off then restarted her up, the battery warning was gone,but it was still at 13.1 volts. I have the car since last April (a 2018 HC charger with 38k miles) I don't know if or when the battery has ever been changed) ,is the battery on its way out?

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Sounds like it. Unless you’re using a tender frequently the average life of these batteries is roughly four yrs from my experience.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I have a 2018 HC and have gone thru 3 batteries. I live in Florida and it maybe the heat but the car is garage kept. It has 14,000 miles and gone thru 3 already. Had to have the car professionally jumped, warranty, to get to the dealers. 12 miles of nothing but traffic lights. M6 and if I stall it need a jump. Problem is,, battery is in the trunk and no access. If you know how to climb thru the trunk or jump enough to open the trunk via the hood. My advise if already not said 4 times, a trickle charger does the trick. For me.

OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #4
On my way to Autozone,car isn't dead yet, Hickster that is crazy 3 batteries, was there an overcharging issue? Slowpoke,I daily this vehicle so no external chargers are used.

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
On my way to Autozone,car isn't dead yet, Hickster that is crazy 3 batteries, was there an overcharging issue? Slowpoke,I daily this vehicle so no external chargers are used.
Hopefully that solves your problem.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
I just installed their top of the line battery. Some of your electronic accessories will do some funny things for a while but that will go away in short order. Seems like the body control module gets really pissed when you disconnect the battery.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
My input is to upgrade to an AGM battery. I've had much better luck with AGM batteries in all of my vehicles.

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
I have a 2018 HC and have gone thru 3 batteries. I live in Florida and it maybe the heat but the car is garage kept. It has 14,000 miles and gone thru 3 already. Had to have the car professionally jumped, warranty, to get to the dealers. 12 miles of nothing but traffic lights. M6 and if I stall it need a jump. Problem is,, battery is in the trunk and no access. If you know how to climb thru the trunk or jump enough to open the trunk via the hood. My advise if already not said 4 times, a trickle charger does the trick. For me.
Heat is far. far worse on a battery than cold.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Heat is far. far worse on a battery than cold.

Summer kills batteries, Winter buries them.

Catless

Member ID
Reactions
City
Parkersburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat Challenger
Alternator.

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
My input is to upgrade to an AGM battery. I've had much better luck with AGM batteries in all of my vehicles.
Any links / brand suggestions for future reference? Sears Automotive had good brands on hand before going the way of the Dodo.

OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #12
Summer kills batteries, Winter buries them.
Your right, AutoZone tested the battery and it was good, but the alternator was very weak. I just had one put on this past December at the dealer. I dropped it off there and left my key in the dropbox. I hope they can fix it before I have to go to work at 4 pm today. They must have used a remanufactured part when they replaced it. Can anything else cause it to go bad again?

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I have been told by the dealer shit to start the car once a week to keep it charged. Nice. I have a garaged with the garaged door 4 layers insulated with the garage air conditioned to 74 degrees with a driving and or trickle charged on it constant. If this is not enough then the battery is a $200 plus costing from the dealer. This is way over the top and the alternator shows no codes. I have no idea but to understand the battery is coming from the factory as bad. A 2 year battery is a 2 year battery. Had the same problems with the GMs as to say a 2 year is a 2 year, When it goes bad it stops and that is that. No charge no jumping, dead is dead.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Your right, AutoZone tested the battery and it was good, but the alternator was very weak. I just had one put on this past December at the dealer. I dropped it off there and left my key in the dropbox. I hope they can fix it before I have to go to work at 4 pm today. They must have used a remanufactured part when they replaced it. Can anything else cause it to go bad again?
You dropped it where?

The dealership would not likely use a re-man part.

As for other reasons, there are many I suppose (like a bad starter) but they are also not likely.

To be honest, I don't have a good sense of what you have going on other than just bad luck with the replacement alternator?

OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #15
Okay, here is the official verdict, I just picked up my HC at the service dept, the alternator was fine, the battery was fine, the issue....there was a bolt that fell out of the alternator and a wire was disconnected. The tech said he was starting to remove the alternator when he noticed the wire just hanging there. No biggie ,things happen :)

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack