Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Exhaust Difference?

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
No idea, would love to do a side by side since I don't remember what mine stock sounds like anymore. Not a whole lot of hellcats in my area and dealers don't take me seriously :confused:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I traded in my 2018 for a 2019 Charger Hellcat. It seems the 2019 exhaust is louder and more noticeable inside the car. Especially running 500 hp in street mode. I’m still breaking in. My 18 Hellcat was quiet in the same modes with louder supercharger whine. The 19 you hear exhaust over supercharger. Anybody else?
I'm happy to report that my '18's exhaust is much louder than my girlfriend's Redeye is. Also, the blower is louder on the '18.

Happy, because the '18 is mine.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Worcester
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Went from a 17 Challenger HC to a Redeye. No difference in sound that I can discern. Both loud. And, what's a 500hp key?
That's strange as I have a Redeye and when starting next to my buddies '17 HC (also an A8 if that matters) they have two totally different sounds.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
That's strange as I have a Redeye and when starting next to my buddies '17 HC (also an A8 if that matters) they have two totally different sounds.
That is the cam and valve events.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Worcester
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
That is the cam and valve events.
Interesting but believable. I would still like to see someone post a full underside view of a stock HC for comparison.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Interesting but believable. I would still like to see someone post a full underside view of a stock HC for comparison.
I already did that on the previous page. My 2019 Challenger HC has the exact same exhaust as a 2018 Demon. Same cats as confirmed by an FCA employee, same everything. The only difference between the Demon/Redeye and the HCs/THs are in the static valvetrain events as ground into the cams and programmed VVT (and possibly the active exhaust valve) adjustments in the ECM relative to those two parts. That being said, @Hpindy confirmed that they changed the cams (and blower designs) in the 2018 and later HCs/THs to a milder set of specs - but, I have yet to be confirm how much the combination of these would have a significant impact on total NHV (as I have yet to scan my 2019 with HP to compare it to the pre-2018 vehicles). This is also not to suggest that the Redeyes and Demons share the same VVT or active exhaust valve adjustments in their factory tunes at idle or under load.

The real problem with noise is it is very, very subjective.

Last edited: