Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

extended warranty through dealer: driveshaft and U-Joint bad. not covered under warranty, max care. $2100 to replace driveshaft and joint.???

Eireman

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Nurse
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ventura
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
my dodge dealer said my warranty was cancelled,?? WTF? then after a month and it not being the differential, told was U-Joint and need to replace driveshaft. ready, but not covered under your warranty. 38,000 miles and driveshaft joint falling apart?? isn't it part of the powertrain??
2016 Pitch Black with brown leather interior with sunroof auto torqueflight tranny.

any input??? gotta pick it up tomorrow.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Doesn’t sound right? Can you look at the warranty coverage to determine whether the dealer is correct or not? I would dispute it!

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
What date was your car put into service? My '16 was put in service in March of '17, so its 5yr/60,000 powertrain expired in March this year. I did purchase an 8yr/85,000 Powertrain Plus warranty when I bought it so I have 2.5 years left.

If the dealer is letting you buy a Mopar extended to pay for the repair, the Powertrain Plus should be cheaper than a Maxcare.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Doesn’t sound right? Can you look at the warranty coverage to determine whether the dealer is correct or not? I would dispute it!
I misunderstood when you said it was cancelled. It sounds like the warranty has expired?

Catless

Member ID
Reactions
City
Parkersburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat Challenger
Your 5/50 warranty is up but if you have Maxcare Service contract that isn't expired it is covered if you don't have mods to void it. READ YOUR CONTRACT don't ask a bunch of people on the forum that don't know your specifics.

OP
E

Eireman

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Nurse
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ventura
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #6
What date was your car put into service? My '16 was put in service in March of '17, so its 5yr/60,000 powertrain expired in March this year. I did purchase an 8yr/85,000 Powertrain Plus warranty when I bought it so I have 2.5 years left.

If the dealer is letting you buy a Mopar extended to pay for the repair, the Powertrain Plus should be cheaper than a Maxcare.
no, i have an extended warranty, which i bought when i purchased the car, not sure when in service, but shouldnt u-joints be part of the powertrain which should be covered under an extended warranty? when i pick the car up I will have the paperwork in my dashboard. just seems really strange them saying its not covered under warranty!!???
Your 5/50 warranty is up but if you have Maxcare Service contract that isn't expired it is covered if you don't have mods to void it. READ YOUR CONTRACT don't ask a bunch of people on the forum that don't know your specifics.
yeah, my contract is in the car, ill check it out when i pick it up. just wondering if anybody has ever had a situation like this where a u-joint going bad isnt covered under the powertrain warranty. thanks for your response though.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Did you buy the MOPAR ext. warranty or did the dealer sell you something from the secondary market ??
Many of the 2nd market warranties that get sold are junk !!

Catless

Member ID
Reactions
City
Parkersburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat Challenger
So what was the outcome of this when you read the service contract?

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
So what was the outcome of this when you read the service contract?
@Eireman did you get any help on this?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
@Magnified here's a case for you.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Interesting. All relevant questions asked above. What kind of warranty (if any) was purchased? Car modified? "Cancelled" is a serious action - this would mean they found modifications to the car sufficient to void the warranty or some other evidence of abuse. Did you buy new?

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
My factory driveshaft didn't have any u-joints:unsure:

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
my dodge dealer said my warranty was cancelled,?? WTF? then after a month and it not being the differential, told was U-Joint and need to replace driveshaft. ready, but not covered under your warranty. 38,000 miles and driveshaft joint falling apart?? isn't it part of the powertrain??
2016 Pitch Black with brown leather interior with sunroof auto torqueflight tranny.

any input??? gotta pick it up tomorrow.
@DodgeCares

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
He didn't say "expired", he said "cancelled", which leads me to believe there are modifications that allowed them to deny the warranty repair claim.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I looked at his posts again. Last seen Wednesday. This is not keeping him up at night. Maybe this car was modified and he did not know about it? Oh well, a warranty that has been “cancelled” usually stays that way and not dependent on any social media opinion anyway.