Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Factory tires and rain

DaveB

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Penhold
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
How do the P Zero summers do in the rain? I’ve put 5000km on the HC this summer but she’s yet to see rain. I’m thinking about taking it to visit my mother next week, but the forecast is for rain. The trip is 650km (400 miles) each way so once I’m rolling, I’m committed. Are these tires unsafe at highway speeds in the rain? Take the truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I had to drive it in the rain with them. It was fine. You can’t press the throttle hardly at all b4 they break loose. So sometimes 500 hp mode makes sense. Sorry but a good idea don’t ban me.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I've been caught in the rain a few times, inc. my drive home from the dealer (100+ miles of FL rain) and never had an issue in full Street mode. Keep the traction nanny's full on & don't go nuts on the skinny pedal & you'll be OK. As DGatzby said, you can always dial back the HP to 500 if you really don't trust yourself and there's ECO mode if you feel the need to really wimp out - ;)

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Just don't drive it like a Hellcat, you should be ok. Drove mine home from the dealership in a heavy downpour.

YMMV

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Morris Co
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
18 Charger HC
You will be fine. Just use some common sense and you're all set.

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
How do the P Zero summers do in the rain? I’ve put 5000km on the HC this summer but she’s yet to see rain. I’m thinking about taking it to visit my mother next week, but the forecast is for rain. The trip is 650km (400 miles) each way so once I’m rolling, I’m committed. Are these tires unsafe at highway speeds in the rain? Take the truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After purchasing mine I ran into rain and a little snow flurries on the ride home - a little nerve racking with a new (to me) 700 hp car at night, but I had no issues at all. That was about 75 miles in somewhat heavy traffic. I didnt know how to change hp modes yet, so that wasnt much of an option, or I might have wimped out (lol).

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
I’ve got almost 10,000 miles on the factory PZero summer tires and I haven’t had any issues with rain. The big thing is just not mashing the skinny peddle when roads are really wet. Drive it like a 2004 Honda Accord and you’ll be just fine.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Not a direct answer to your question, but I keep my OEM all-seasons on the front and the rears on my old OEM rear wheels and swap them on for long range highway duty and I've never had anything but good things to say about them. The summers, I'm not sure about but while they're probably not as good in the weather, I think they'd be fine for regular US duty. Up in snow land, I would hesitate to say.

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
What's the long range nightly low temp in your area for the trip? If you're doing any nightly driving and the temp drops below 10c, rain or no rain, that's when you need to go easy on the throttle. At that temp and below, with the summer P Zero's, my dry right turns easily go full on Smokey and the Bandit with no effort. And I just have a 392. Magnified has the right idea.

Last edited:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
What's the long range nightly low temp in your area for the trip? If you're doing any nightly driving and the temp drops below 10c, rain or no rain, that's when you need to go easy on the throttle. At that temp and below, with the summer P Zero's, my dry right turns easily go full on Smokey and the Bandit with no effort. And I just have a 392. Magnified has the right idea.
Such a great movie. Jackie Gleason nails it. Without him it would have been a waste.