Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Fans running after shutting car off

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Hello all,

I noted this morning after going for a short drive that the cooling fans were running after shutting the car off. The fans ran for about 15 minutes. I never noted this before. Car (2019 challenger Redeye) only has 3550 miles. No tune modifications. Outside air temperature was 54 degrees. Coolant temperature read 205.
Any input appreciated.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Seems like a strange (very) set of conditions, but the fans running in and of itself is possible, right?

OP
Paladin06

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
The fans running with the car off is normal under much warmer conditions. This is very unusual and the fact that it has never done it before. Also as soon as I raise the hood the fans stop. They will restart when I close the hood. WTF?? :-(

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I was going to say I remember my car doing this a couple times during the summer...any chance you have the cooling fans feature in the performance pages turned on?

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Notice mine run after shutting down.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
The fans running with the car off is normal under much warmer conditions. This is very unusual and the fact that it has never done it before. Also as soon as I raise the hood the fans stop. They will restart when I close the hood. WTF?? :-(
You have a super secret fan.......

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
That is a nice 'feature' to have. I remember jumping the fan relay to keep the fans running between passes with the engine off to help with heat soak in the older 5.7 hemi's. Shut-off is really the time when heat-soak builds up. Although it's not much use to cool the rad coolant with the water pump not turning, the fans are still moving air across the motor.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I was going to say I remember my car doing this a couple times during the summer...any chance you have the cooling fans feature in the performance pages turned on?
That is my guess @Paladin06. Check the racing performance page and see if you have the after race cooling fan on. It WILL go off when the hood is raised, that also makes me think that is what you have going. Oh, unless like me you have the little ZL1 piece of plastic that jambs the hood switch to think I never raise my hood;)

OP
Paladin06

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
That is my guess @Paladin06. Check the racing performance page and see if you have the after race cooling fan on. It WILL go off when the hood is raised, that also makes me think that is what you have going. Oh, unless like me you have the little ZL1 piece of plastic that jambs the hood switch to think I never raise my hood;)
I'll check the fans and no, no ZL1 mod.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I'll check the fans and no, no ZL1 mod.
It’s a bit funny. You can jam it up with whatever you can dream of also.

OP
Paladin06

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
Checked the cooling in the race page. Clicked to deactivate the cooling at the bottom left hand side. No idea how it got activated . 1612475650227.png

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Life is good. Noisy as all get out when they are on. In the fall I’ll pull into the garage, leave them on to heat the place up a bit!

OP
Paladin06

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13
Life is good. Noisy as all get out when they are on. In the fall I’ll pull into the garage, leave them on to heat the place up a bit!
They are a bit loud for sure. ;-)

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Mine never come on. When I get into the garage I lift the hood and turn the ceiling fans on with the garage door open. 56 degrees cools it down with the ceiling fans moving air. I have 2 48 inch fans in the garage. When I 1st bought it. Sept 98 degrees out. Laid a towl on the heads and placed cold packs on for a cooling down period. Helped, I suppose. But I still have the car.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Mine never come on. When I get into the garage I lift the hood and turn the ceiling fans on with the garage door open. 56 degrees cools it down with the ceiling fans moving air. I have 2 48 inch fans in the garage. When I 1st bought it. Sept 98 degrees out. Laid a towl on the heads and placed cold packs on for a cooling down period. Helped, I suppose. But I still have the car.
We are talking about the after race cool option the Demon then the Redeye’s have. Somehow his got turned on.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
With out undoing the battery that could cause a problem. I had the same things happen on the vettes. After a run the fans are not on but after a few minutes you could have your hand in a place and those fans will come on. Unconnecting the battery will prevent that. Yes, now I do understand the problem. I almost l most had my head in a machine in Ft Myers. I was working on an air cooled chiller, inside of it. My head about 14 inches from the cooling fans that are the size of a large prop plane. The machine was not tagged out, locked out. The machine lost pressure and for it to come back to operating pressure. The cooling fans had to come on with my head a foot away. I was pissed and hit the superentendent with an open 1 and 1/8 wrench and kicked him in the head till they pulled me off. I know what these fans can do. Needless to say, I prayed, went to the bar and back to Clearwater from there. These fans can come on at any time. Good luck. Shine and milk shake tonight. Celebrate court today.