Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

First Semi-long trip with the RE

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
Finally took her on a 350 mile-each-way trip. Just had PPF film done on the front facia nd rear flares. Car did great! It did rain like crazy for a whole day while I was driving in the countryside. Gotta say, in those conditions the silly all season Pirelli's the car came with did well in the rain....I was able to go the speed limits pretty confidently. If it were the summer tires I guarantee it would have been a traction nightmare in rain...they hydro-plane so easily.....but great on dry hot ground (unlike my all seasons).....

I set the cruise for 70 something-ish most of the trip and averaged 21.9 mpg....and no I didn't buy it for that. Was interesting though, that my '15 Hellcat got a best of 26.3 mpg under similar driving.

Didn't use any oil or smoke...but I have noticed....my exhaust seems to have gotten louder all of the sudden. And I notice it's louder in all modes too. Seemed much quieter when I first got it. Don't get me wrong, it sounds good and I don't think I have any leaks anywhere. -But I will check after I change the oil. Then I'll idle it while it's up on the ramps to know 100% there's no leaks. Has anyone else noticed their exhaust getting a bit louder after say...1K miles or so?

fullsizeoutput_c2.jpeg

Member ID
Reactions
City
Burnsville
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I think you are correct about the exhaust. I have a 2019 RE and I feel my exhaust has gotten louder as well over the course of a few thousand miles.
Did a road trip in mine in June. 625 miles each way for about 1300 miles or so. Averaged 20.9 mpg but most of my driving was with the cruise set for 83mph as the speed limit on I-90 was 80 mph. I also have the 3.09 rear gears and at 2000rpm at 80.
Very comfy and fun road trip car for sure!!

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Finally took her on a 350 mile-each-way trip. Just had PPF film done on the front facia nd rear flares. Car did great! It did rain like crazy for a whole day while I was driving in the countryside. Gotta say, in those conditions the silly all season Pirelli's the car came with did well in the rain....I was able to go the speed limits pretty confidently. If it were the summer tires I guarantee it would have been a traction nightmare in rain...they hydro-plane so easily.....but great on dry hot ground (unlike my all seasons).....

I set the cruise for 70 something-ish most of the trip and averaged 21.9 mpg....and no I didn't buy it for that. Was interesting though, that my '15 Hellcat got a best of 26.3 mpg under similar driving.

Didn't use any oil or smoke...but I have noticed....my exhaust seems to have gotten louder all of the sudden. And I notice it's louder in all modes too. Seemed much quieter when I first got it. Don't get me wrong, it sounds good and I don't think I have any leaks anywhere. -But I will check after I change the oil. Then I'll idle it while it's up on the ramps to know 100% there's no leaks. Has anyone else noticed their exhaust getting a bit louder after say...1K miles or so?

View attachment 21370
Yep it gets louder. Mine had an exhaust leak. Don’t worry the sensors will be all over it. Mine was loose at the header connection/exhaust. The sensors know about it quick. After it was fixed it sounds great again. I may do another 500 mile round trip on it again this weekend. They are great cars. FYI guys getting damn near the same exact mileage with the 3.09 gears, they must all be running the same and very good;).

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Love the PC but I’m bias.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
How the hell you guys getting mpg like your sharing. And I do a lot of open hwy driving as well. And yes she keeps getting louder and louder:cool:
5EF99338-0F72-40B0-9280-D3B93E38A990.jpeg

Member ID
Reactions
City
Burnsville
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
When I begin a road trip I reset my trip A and trip B screens to zero. Zero it all out and then start off on your adventure. Then you can keep track of mpg, total miles driven, total hours etc from those screens.
If I'm not mistaken the screen your looking at is your average TOTAL mpg from day one, including all those times stuck in traffic and not moving, around town trips and sitting idling away etc.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Two hour drive to the track.
I drove in street mode like a civilized law abiding citizen one way and got 25 mpg.
Reset it at the track and got 5.5.
Drove like an ass in street mode on the way home and got 22.
11 is my average but normally have it in sport.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Are we back to the MPG thing again. Watching MPG on these cars is like kissing your sister. What’s the point?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
It’s more of a fascination thing P. You know none of us bought it for its mileage. The things can be comfy and deliver in excess of 20 mpg, take them to the track drive all day, then return home with AC, stereo, great interior, smooth ride. Mileage, ha! At Road America mine did a 4.4 mpg, I’ll have to check it at BIR sometime, I imagine it’s worse because of more WOT time per lap.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Burnsville
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
What DGatzby said --
We (I at least) are just bragging about how the cars can have 800 hp and STILL deliver over 20 mpg on road trips along with comfort and style.
And (I at least) would not have any idea what it`s like to kiss my sister --

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Yeah I agree these Hellcats are just an incredible car all around. And you would think the GT500 would get as good as mileage and or better. But nope I would be amazed if mine gets 20 at best.
BC98E418-8804-4EB8-9D47-86A1AA20C4FD.jpeg

OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
Thread Starter #12
I think you are correct about the exhaust. I have a 2019 RE and I feel my exhaust has gotten louder as well over the course of a few thousand miles.
Did a road trip in mine in June. 625 miles each way for about 1300 miles or so. Averaged 20.9 mpg but most of my driving was with the cruise set for 83mph as the speed limit on I-90 was 80 mph. I also have the 3.09 rear gears and at 2000rpm at 80.
Very comfy and fun road trip car for sure!!
That's actually great mileage considering you have 3.09 gears. I have 2.62's, and with my cruise set at 79 mph I run around 1700 rpm's. Good to hear I'm not just imagining this car getting louder!
Yep it gets louder. Mine had an exhaust leak. Don’t worry the sensors will be all over it. Mine was loose at the header connection/exhaust. The sensors know about it quick. After it was fixed it sounds great again. I may do another 500 mile round trip on it again this weekend. They are great cars. FYI guys getting damn near the same exact mileage with the 3.09 gears, they must all be running the same and very good;).
It's one of the reasons I figured that I most likely don't have any big exhaust leaks causing it to get louder....the O2 sensors would probably go lean if it leaked bad enough and throw a code. Good to know you went through an actual leak on yours...I'll make sure I look at the area(s) you pointed out when I check my car.
It’s more of a fascination thing P. You know none of us bought it for its mileage. The things can be comfy and deliver in excess of 20 mpg, take them to the track drive all day, then return home with AC, stereo, great interior, smooth ride. Mileage, ha! At Road America mine did a 4.4 mpg, I’ll have to check it at BIR sometime, I imagine it’s worse because of more WOT time per lap.
Exactly...for amusement purposes really....plus it gives you an idea of how well these cars are running. Amazing what kind of mileage these cars are capable of on the road when driven semi-normally! As far as driving around town though....these RE's will eat through some gas with any "spirited" driving....lol

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
some of us get fascinated by 700-800 HP cars getting 20+ MPG because we grew up in a era where that kind of HP was relegated to Pro Stock NHRA and NASCAR. On the street we had our pick of fking gutless 160 hp V8 wonders that couldnt get out of their own way and would barely break 15 mpg if your buddy was pushing it.

Bordercat_797

Active Duty U.S. Army
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
El Paso
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Dodge CHALLENGER HELLCAT REDEYE WIDEBODY

View attachment 21370
This may have already been asked, but did you have the car in eco the whole time or was that all from just keeping it in cruise control?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk