Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

First time out with the Hellcat at the track, what to expect?

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
So I'm no stranger to drag racing, spent the entire last year learning how to do it with the Scat Pack. Got pretty good at it, held the title of fastest stock charger scat pack with a 2015 that went 11.612 @ 119mph which got obliterated by a 2019 Charger when they came out. Had a lot of fun, made a ton of friends and am looking forward to making more friends with the Hellcat. When I was learning to drag race I came up with the following habit from burnout box to light to 1320... This is a video of me at Capitol Last year.

1.) Use tazer to do a burnout with a zero one, zero two, zero three count to get the Mickey Thompson ET Street R's sticky, when I saw smoke I would roll out.
2.) I would then hit traction control for eight seconds to turn off the traction control completely. I found that in the Scat Pack, traction control even on Track settings hurt time.
3.) Roll to light, hit first beam, wait for other driver.
4.) Hit second beam, begin torque converter lock by power braking to 1800 RPM.
5.) On third yellow, drop the hammer and hold on.
6.) 1320 begin light braking and depending on lane wait to turn off to service road.

Am I going to be able to adapt this to the Hellcat or do I have to re-work my procedures? Also is launch control a gimmick in these cars as well or does it actually work? Would launch control have me leave under boost or would power braking at the line be the best option? I play to lower the PSI in the Mickey's to 20PSI to start off with, thoughts on this? I'll be heading to Cecil County tomorrow night and have flutters in my stomach, the prospect of drag racing again has me all excited!

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
You'll have to tweak your launch RPM to taste and track conditions a little differently, in my opinion (not much or drastically, but it won't be the same). My opinion, shit can the launch control, but its up to you. Some folks, i believe, use it. Experiment, see if you like it.

Other than that, I think that looks like a great summary. Have at it, have fun, be safe. Smoke some Mustangs and Camaros. And that old, balding doctor guy in that Corvette.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
I swear to god he was at Capitol too. Was it the Silver Corvette? He would rip the shit out of my Scat Pack but he has a god damn ZL1. Sounds good, I'll ditch launch control and start power braking at 1000 and going up in increments. Any thoughts on PSI for the tires? I always used 20 as a starting point for the Scat Pack and went with how track conditions/weather were. Sometimes id go lower to 18 or 16 depending on conditions.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Hunching your shoulders makes another 5hp... :p

;)

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
that harder you press the pedal to the floor the faster you go. true story.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I just saw this post. I haven't been on much .
@fumanchu182 the things I would change are.
#1 leave traction in sport and don't do anything else. The traction control will be off but you will still have stability control. It won't stop you from wrecking but it will help give you extra time to save it if needed. Don't forget if you are hooking you could run full traction control and it shouldn't affect your time.
#2 is leave around 1000 rpm. I basically JUST load the suspension. I don't look at rom any more. The times I do it's anywhere from just under 1000 to 1200. This depends on track prep.
My track it is good so I can just send it and not worry about traction. Cecil is supposed to be good to from what I hear.
If not sure about it leave at 1500 rpm and once the car moves roll into the throttle. It won't be quite as quick but you should go a-b.

#3 tire pressure I would start at 19.5 to 20.5. You could try lower if you think traction will be an issue.
Then just equalize them after.

This is what works for me and I have tried every possible tip or combo of tips I have ever seen posted.

Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Really good summary and video.

This is how I do it:

1. Tire pressure - start with 20 psi and reduce if you break traction, but do not go under 18 psi
  2. Put the car in track mode for transmission & traction and street for suspension
  3. Burnout until you see white smoke and then let off of the line lock and roll through the starting line, thus pressing down the track with your hot tires
  4. Bump into first bulb and then bump into second bulb with 1500 rpm
  5. If the track can hold it, stall at 2k rpm and floor the peddle
  6. Hang on and have a good ride
But all in all, track prep will determine stall rpm and how much you have to peddle the car.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Really good summary and video.

This is how I do it:

1. Tire pressure - start with 20 psi and reduce if you break traction, but do not go under 18 psi
  2. Put the car in track mode for transmission & traction and street for suspension
  3. Burnout until you see white smoke and then let off of the line lock and roll through the starting line, thus pressing down the track with your hot tires
  4. Bump into first bulb and then bump into second bulb with 1500 rpm
  5. If the track can hold it, stall at 2k rpm and floor the peddle
  6. Hang on and have a good ride
But all in all, track prep will determine stall rpm and how much you have to peddle the car.
And that is why I have tried everything. Something may work well for some but not others.
My car 60' gets worse if I leave at a high rpm. But I am still on stock power. For me the difference is a 1.57 60' to a 1.52' .

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
agree 100% @moparjim. If the track and hold the stall, increase until the track can not hold it.

For me, I like to stall at 2k and then if we break traction, reduce to 1.5k on the next pass and then lower to 1.2k. But if the track can not hold 1.2k stall, then I find another track. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Ask Dave, I left Clay City this past weekend because of track management and conditions and got 4 hours of sleep and drove to a new track to race on. lol

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
Awesome information @Dman007 and @moparjim. I can't wait till 1600 when I cut out of the house like a bat out of hell. Helmet is in the car. Compressor is in the rear. Extra tire pressure gauge is in the rear. I'm not running the skinnies up front tonight as I have a hour ride between me and the track, not chancing it. Working out the kinks with my go pro. Have an old here so it is test, pull SD card, look, retest... Quite the PITA. @BULL I'll make sure to Hunchback of Notre Dame all night... :)

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Awesome information @Dman007 and @moparjim. I can't wait till 1600 when I cut out of the house like a bat out of hell. Helmet is in the car. Compressor is in the rear. Extra tire pressure gauge is in the rear. I'm not running the skinnies up front tonight as I have a hour ride between me and the track, not chancing it. Working out the kinks with my go pro. Have an old here so it is test, pull SD card, look, retest... Quite the PITA. @BULL I'll make sure to Hunchback of Notre Dame all night... :)

I bet you think of me the next time you launch... :giggle:

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
I bet you think of me the next time you launch... :giggle:
Can I think of you even when not launching? :p

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
I just saw this post. I haven't been on much .
@fumanchu182 the things I would change are.
#1 leave traction in sport and don't do anything else. The traction control will be off but you will still have stability control. It won't stop you from wrecking but it will help give you extra time to save it if needed. Don't forget if you are hooking you could run full traction control and it shouldn't affect your time.
#2 is leave around 1000 rpm. I basically JUST load the suspension. I don't look at rom any more. The times I do it's anywhere from just under 1000 to 1200. This depends on track prep.
My track it is good so I can just send it and not worry about traction. Cecil is supposed to be good to from what I hear.
If not sure about it leave at 1500 rpm and once the car moves roll into the throttle. It won't be quite as quick but you should go a-b.

#3 tire pressure I would start at 19.5 to 20.5. You could try lower if you think traction will be an issue.
Then just equalize them after.

This is what works for me and I have tried every possible tip or combo of tips I have ever seen posted.

Have fun and let us know how it goes.
Totally agree on leave traction in sport. Totally forgot that. Sport is OFF, while Track still has some modified mysterious functions that I can't get details on.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
agree 100% @moparjim. If the track and hold the stall, increase until the track can not hold it.

For me, I like to stall at 2k and then if we break traction, reduce to 1.5k on the next pass and then lower to 1.2k. But if the track can not hold 1.2k stall, then I find another track. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Ask Dave, I left Clay City this past weekend because of track management and conditions and got 4 hours of sleep and drove to a new track to race on. lol
I have found my car likes to launch just above idle and caveman it. LOL
I have seen others that it works better for them at 1500 or 1800.🤷‍♂️
I just got news that I am in for a 30 car rental on the weekend. So I will try a few things.
This should be interesting.
No skinnies and full interior.
I have to go drive almost 7 month old 91 out of the tank.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #15
My track plans got cancelled. Cecil County, MD is full of cowards and last minute the Marylandistan gov't shut it down.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Geeze I hope you found out that Cecil couldn't open tonight!

Linda :)

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
OK you got the info!
My daughter was upset. She had plans to be there.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #18
Geeze I hope you found out that Cecil couldn't open tonight!

Literally makes no sense as there will be racing for the rest of the week except for today. However ocean county will have its beaches open, no social distancing in effect because it’s not enforceable. Golf courses are open, and most of the things that the politicians want to do will be available.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
I stay six feet away from most mofos at the track anyway, but I must admit there are a bunch who don't.

football to the head.gif