Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

For Magnified

DMNkilr

Founding Member
Premium Account
Doctor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Highlands Ranch
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
they don't make nothing for me
They made this one car I kinda like, just remember it destroying the Can-Am series, and basically destroying the competition anywhere it raced

Attachments

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
IIRC, this is the Porsche that killed the Can Am series. It broke McClaren’s domination of the series. There was no place for it afterwards except to break closed course records.
1607875680913.jpeg

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
They had to versions of that car. 200MPH and 230MPH+. Legendary

DMNkilr

Founding Member
Premium Account
Doctor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Highlands Ranch
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
IIRC, this is the Porsche that killed the Can Am series. It broke McClaren’s domination of the series. There was no place for it afterwards except to break closed course records.
View attachment 32708
I may just be demonstrating my ignorance, but it isn't it the same basic car? The 917 was the road racing version. I know the 917/30 pictured had the baddest engine they ever built. I was always partial to the closed cockpit models.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
I may just be demonstrating my ignorance, but it isn't it the same basic car? The 917 was the road racing version. I know the 917/30 pictured had the baddest engine they ever built. I was always partial to the closed cockpit models.
You’re right. There were so many variants. The long distance road racers had different wheel bases, smaller less powerful engines and different aerodynamics, but they were all 917s.

The Can Am series was my favorite series at the time. It was basically no rules racing except for safety and full fenders. Big block aluminum Chevrolets with Hilborne fuel injection were dominate before the Porsche showed up. There was just so much innovation from talented individuals before really big money killed it.

Jim Hall’s Chaparrals were always cool. He fielded one (2J) that employed an auxiliary snowmobile engine/fan that sucked air out from under the car to generate downforce. In theory, it would have stuck to a ceiling. It got banned for picking up loose asphalt and pitching it back at any car following.
615457.jpg

I was lucky enough to attend a race at MIS in 1969. One of the orange McLarens (Bruce McLaren) won that day, but I was pulling for a new Boss 429 based 8 liter iron block powered Lola. It broke, but so did the fastest car that day, a Can Am Ferarri.

Last edited:

DMNkilr

Founding Member
Premium Account
Doctor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Highlands Ranch
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
The can-am stuff was so cool! Fuel injected big blocks with those calliope injectors could still be one of the coolest looks ever. I was fortunate enough to get to go through the Chapparal racing exhibit at the petroleum museum in Midland, TX years ago. Chapparal built beautiful cars and their aerodynamics were ahead of their time Chaparral-2J.jpg gallerywide.jpg Chap2.jpg

The Lola's had the look
ca0813-161622_2@2x.jpg lola-t260-chevrolet.-jackie-stewart-riverside-can-am-1971-17380-p.jpg

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
The can-am stuff was so cool! Fuel injected big blocks with those calliope injectors could still be one of the coolest looks ever. I was fortunate enough to get to go through the Chapparal racing exhibit at the petroleum museum in Midland, TX years ago. Chapparal built beautiful cars and their aerodynamics were ahead of their time View attachment 32836 View attachment 32839 View attachment 32838

The Lola's had the look
View attachment 32841 View attachment 32842
#65 pictured above was a popular 1:24 scale slot car. Cox sold a bunch.
gettyimages-163094082-1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Chapparal museum is still there. Have photos of my kids in the cars. The petroleum museum part of it is what I would characterize as being similar to a trip to the Musueum of the Party back in the old USSR. Take that place with a grain of salt.

OP
HRJ

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
Thread Starter #29
Last time I went down 349 (prolly been about 5 years) the old Chapparal HQ building was still there just south of Midland. Wonder if the test track is stil around? That would be really cool...

DMNkilr

Founding Member
Premium Account
Doctor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Highlands Ranch
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
Chapparal museum is still there. Have photos of my kids in the cars. The petroleum museum part of it is what I would characterize as being similar to a trip to the Musueum of the Party back in the old USSR. Take that place with a grain of salt.
I was lucky, the people we were visiting said the Chapparal museum was the only thing to see there:)