Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

HELLCAT goes 8s

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thank you (I think). 😂. The 315-17 M/T-R has been a common combination with the 3.09 gears for over a year now. You can read all about it on the forums! On the right wheel, it only requires beating down the stiffening rib inside the wheel well where the inside edge of the tire at the front would rub. A very simple modification. I initially did it with a set of the RaceStars that are specific to the Hellcat. Combined with the 3.09’s it is the best setup for consistent 60’s without going to a 15” wheel. Here’s a old picture of that wheel/tire combo. View attachment 6435
What size is that 17x9.5 or 17x10??

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
315/50/17 won’t fit as is. They do require some inner fender messaging that is still better than 15” grinding of end link and knuckle.

Here’s 315/50/17 launch
There's air under that front tire. Might want to get that looked at.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I like the way we phrase it by saying massaging the fender well instead of saying hey you need to beat the hell out it with a 5lb hammer :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I am a wimp. Even though I know its perfectly fine to beat on the car when needed, i still start out really gentle.

Except for this new pick up that parked next to me so close the other night at the grocery store that my sons couldn't even get in the Expedition. We were in BFE too, and it was around 20 degrees. People are jerks.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
What size is that 17x9.5 or 17x10??
The 17” RaceStar that is specific to the Hellcat is 9.5”. That allows it to fit without needing to go to shorter swaybar end-links. That size is fine for that tire according to M/T. The wheel in that picture is 10” wide because it was widened to the outside when it was bead locked. The back space and offset specs for any other wheel will determine how the tire is going to be placed inside that wheel well and how much massaging is going to need to be done.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Tires ordered thanks to big thanks to MARC W and UNCRNPS FOR SHARING MUCH NEEDED INFO see sharing is caring , it’s always awesome when we work together to accomplish our goals :)

OP
uncrnps
Member ID
Reactions
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #67
Thank you (I think). 😂. The 315-17 M/T-R has been a common combination with the 3.09 gears for over a year now. You can read all about it on the forums! On the right wheel, it only requires beating down the stiffening rib inside the wheel well where the inside edge of the tire at the front would rub. A very simple modification. I initially did it with a set of the RaceStars that are specific to the Hellcat. Combined with the 3.09’s it is the best setup for consistent 60’s without going to a 15” wheel. Here’s a old picture of that wheel/tire combo. View attachment 6435
315 is the main reason, I moved from 2.62 to 3.09. I completely agree that with newer 17” tire, we really don’t need a 15”. However, 15” do comes handy on certain tracks so I’m glad to have both setup

Also, there was no 315/50/17 when I did the conversion or I might be on 17” too

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I bought my racestars from hhp I assume they are fit my hellcat I already use them lol

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I actually just removed my 3.09 out when going to more power because of traction I’ll have to reconsider reinstalling it

OP
uncrnps
Member ID
Reactions
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #71

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I actually just removed my 3.09 out when going to more power because of traction I’ll have to reconsider reinstalling it
One if the reasons that the 315 works so well with the 3.09 gear is because it is a much taller tire. You’ll be surprised how much bigger it is than the 305. You not only get a lot more sidewall and a longer footprint on the track but it reduces the overall gearing because of the larger diameter. It just a better package. I found the 3.09 gears difficult to manage with the 28” tall 305 tire. The 315 is much easier. If you’re not going to run a bead lock then you will need to get serious about those RaceStars turning inside the tire. Jim has had good results with what he’s done with removing that powder coat on the bead and using sticky stuff. I’ll let him tell you. (There.. even 😝)

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
One if the reasons that the 315 works so well with the 3.09 gear is because it is a much taller tire. You’ll be surprised how much bigger it is than the 305. You not only get a lot more sidewall and a longer footprint on the track but it reduces the overall gearing because of the larger diameter. It just a better package. I found the 3.09 gears difficult to manage with the 28” tall 305 tire. The 315 is much easier. If you’re not going to run a bead lock then you will need to get serious about those RaceStars turning inside the tire. Jim has had good results with what he’s done with removing that powder coat on the bead and using sticky stuff. I’ll let him tell you. (There.. even 😝)
I did the same as Jim with my Racestars. I Grinded off the powdercoating and used glue but they still will spin but once they do they don't spin as much the next time. They eventually almost find there place on there own if that makes any sense.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I use the glue just takes 48 hours to adhere properly

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I use the glue just takes 48 hours to adhere properly
You have to remove the powdercoat from the inner lips of the wheel to really get the tire to stop slipping. You want to scuff it so the glue can grab better. If the glue by itself is working for you then your good. If not next time take the tires off and remove the paint from the inner lips of the wheel then glue them.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Actually @uncrnps helped me with that. 😉
I mount mine dry. They usually only move the first time out.
For some reason the last set I had one keep moving slightly.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX