Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Hellion Twin Turbo kit…..going from Maggie 2650 to turbos…..

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I kept thinking SRT was going to release a Challenger with the Hellephant power plant and was gonna upgrade, so I didn't wanna get too deep with this one. With that looking less and less likely this one may get drop in pistons and a sprtiz of the happy happy at some point though LOL
Thought you had the upgraded RE short block (with supposedly better/forged pistons). Won't take the shot?

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I didn’t spend 20 k , you don’t have to buy all them so called go fast parts to go fast you just have to be resourceful
Im thinking you could put a parts list together, totaling less than $15k, that’ll get an 8 in good air without the bottle. The rest of the budget goes to seat time, week over week, figuring out how to do it.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I agree I figured up what I did to my car and it’s less then 15,000 if you can turn your own wrenches and get at least -500 da but weight reduction is where it counts the most

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thought you had the upgraded RE short block (with supposedly better/forged pistons). Won't take the shot?
The RE long block is claimed to be 30% stronger (whatever that means) from what I remember reading. However, I'm already pushing quite a bit on the E85 tune, adding another 100 "may" be OK for a while but having already had one event I wanna avoid another LOL.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
The RE long block is claimed to be 30% stronger (whatever that means) from what I remember reading. However, I'm already pushing quite a bit on the E85 tune, adding another 100 "may" be OK for a while but having already had one event I wanna avoid another LOL.
If I remember you weren't all that aggressively modified either...
After looking at these sheets from allpar it's only a matter of time until I join the same boat.
Screw it. Still going to send it

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
If I remember you weren't all that aggressively modified either...
After looking at these sheets from allpar it's only a matter of time until I join the same boat.
Screw it. Still going to send it
I was at 1000 hp and over 1100 torque on my 2018 and I ran it all year and upon disassembly it look phenomenal

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Yeah, that's what I was gonna say for the stock motor. It can only take so much. I have no clue why mine failed as I wasn't doing anything all that crazy. I was running a 2.72 pulley with ID1000s and a tune that maxed out at like 10deg of timing for 93. Playing around with shift points at the track we overshot on the 1-2 shift a couple times and hit 6900 or 7000 (can't remember) but that didn't happen more than a time or two and was months before the engine actually broke. I've heard a lot say not to take a stock motor either Hellcat or RE past 850 wheel but lots are doing it. I don't know where mine's out now but enough for about 140MPH in the 1/4.

The OST shop car is still stock motor and all it sees are 1/4 mile runs LOL. Mike and I laugh about that all the time. Here I was conservative and blew up.

OP
FFBOS

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
Thread Starter #68
Most are good to go. Tune is key and “customer responsibility“ as well.

A lot of e85 cats live at the 900 wheel range. I was there for probably 250+ full WOT hits and when we took the motor apart it was super clean. Only reason we dug that deep is because I somehow broke a cam phaser. Still puzzled how that actually happened, but when it was out we did a forged 6.2L short block. Manley rods and Diamond pistons, but they only rate those to “900 wheel“ lol, but many push them much much farther.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I've heard from several that e85 gives a lot of safety margin. Maybe the extra volume being a cooling effect.

OP
FFBOS

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
Thread Starter #70
I've heard from several that e85 gives a lot of safety margin. Maybe the extra volume being a cooling effect.
It does. Most of the issues guys run into are dumping whatever e they find into it on a hot tune, e85 timing doesn’t necessarily play well with e50. Rich condition can cause issues.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
You really have to try to blow something up on E85. It is very forgiving but at the same time very hard to tell when it's actually knocking without it falling on its face (without a dyno of course)

Because of that cooling effect amongst other things we were able to squeeze 460 out of the Busa completely non intercooled on E85

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Finally someone going turbos. It will be a whole other animal now.

The key 100% is the builder and tuner.

I would have switched over to turbos, but I’ve got so much into my car there’s no way I’m switching directions, if I’m gonna drop that kinda coin again I would just get another car to turbo. Which is what I’m doing lol.

Good luck with project. Can’t wait to see how it comes out.
I think a member here already did it compound boost style. Southernmincat had an Idigo Blue Challenger RE with 1320 HP. Easy for me to remember that number like 1/4 mile in feet. I think it was done up w/ Hellion build, and the results were good.

OP
FFBOS

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
Thread Starter #73
I think a member here already did it compound boost style. Southernmincat had an Idigo Blue Challenger RE with 1320 HP. Easy for me to remember that number like 1/4 mile in feet. I think it was done up w/ Hellion build, and the results were good.
Yea, his setup is stout for sure.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
If I recall he said traction was still problem even at speed, the image I recall was Michelin 345s. With that kind of power I am not surprised. Believe he put it up for sale and was going more in the direction of street/track car.

OP
FFBOS

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
Thread Starter #75
If I recall he said traction was still problem even at speed, the image I recall was Michelin 345s. With that kind of power I am not surprised. Believe he put it up for sale and was going more in the direction of street/track car.
He had the ability to dial it down however he wanted. Crazy he wanted to get rid of it. I daily drive on 17’s with 315 ET Street R’s. The only tire that can make it manageable once you get past 1000wheel.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
If it was sold just after build there were problems I'd say. Seen it many times.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Most are good to go. Tune is key and “customer responsibility“ as well.

A lot of e85 cats live at the 900 wheel range. I was there for probably 250+ full WOT hits and when we took the motor apart it was super clean. Only reason we dug that deep is because I somehow broke a cam phaser. Still puzzled how that actually happened, but when it was out we did a forged 6.2L short block. Manley rods and Diamond pistons, but they only rate those to “900 wheel“ lol, but many push them much much farther.
So you never actually lost the motor? I remember that thread awhile back on your rebuild, I don't remember or maybe I just didn't backtrack to read the reasons and I assumed it went south after 20Kmiles and all the 1/4 mile runs. That actually turned me off to the pure E85 tune idea. I was like "ahh ya' see problems long term". But now...?hmmm. I can't get a flex tune from Truestreet over here on L.I. (they don't offer it anymore) so I'm bringing it in for a straight pump gas tune this weak. I don't think I would like the dedicated E85 tune because of being pigeon holed to only finding stations that run E85 and then I can't go where I want when I want, hence I wanted the flex. I also don't have the tech capability of doing a remote tune, so it is what it is.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Thought he said it was dialed in without problems other than traction, and he was going a different direction for car set up. Mainly for rear for traction to go street strip was there issues with it. I kinda took it he was going more like Mark W set up. Was there a build problem with the compound boost

OP
FFBOS

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
Thread Starter #79
If it was sold just after build there were problems I'd say. Seen it many times.
I think he overbuilt the car.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
What I've seen historically being around these cars for more years than I wanna remember and seeing a LOT of builds, when the owner sells the car right after it's done, there's been some kinda weird problem and they cut their losses. Murdercat on this forum is selling his after going rounds with it as just one example. Hopefully that's not the case, but just been what I've seen more often than not. Why spend all that time and money and then change directions I guess.