Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Intercooler Burping help!

Member ID
Reactions
City
Indianapolis
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
17 Charger Hellcat
Got out for my first couple test passes and realized IATs were way too high. Felt the IC lines and they were cold to the touch. I have a tazer, pulled the fan relays and can hear the pump turning on and off.

I popped the bleeder screw and I immediately got fluid coming out. My best guess is I have an air pocket somewhere that I just cant get out. Any tips or hints on getting this thing working right? Was thinking about getting one of the vac systems but it seems like you have to completely empty the system and then refill entirely?

Appreciate any help.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Disconnect a hose at the reservoir and hook a garden hose to it and force water thru it til it comes back to the reservoir

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I was able to easily bleed mine simply by using the Tazer and running the pump several times for just a minute or two each time, and this after a nearly empty loop.

IMO, try the Tazer again.

OP
joeslokat
Member ID
Reactions
City
Indianapolis
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
17 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #4
I was able to easily bleed mine simply by using the Tazer and running the pump several times for just a minute or two each time, and this after a nearly empty loop.

IMO, try the Tazer again.
I need to put an actual bleeder in it instead of the bolt thats in there so i can control where the fluid goes. Making a mess.

I can try that again tho.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Install an air separator in the line. It's a small valve that auto bleeds the air off. It's a air separator or called an air eliminator.

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Install an air separator in the line. It's a small valve that auto bleeds the air off. It's a air separator or called an air eliminator.
the Only air separator valves I found don’t look like they would work on our cars. They look like they are for house plumbing use

OP
joeslokat
Member ID
Reactions
City
Indianapolis
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
17 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
Have you done this with success? I would be interested in getting one so that this doesnt happen again.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I have installed them on piping systems, but there would be no differences except for the size. But have installed some on smaller systems. 1/2". Just a bleeder valve. I imagine this is for a rubber hose. Easy, cut, install with hose clamps, tighten, done. You may have to check it every 6 months make sure any trash has not clogged up the top portion.

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I need to put an actual bleeder in it instead of the bolt thats in there so i can control where the fluid goes. Making a mess.

I can try that again tho.
Where you successful?

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
I had to drain my system completely to add a killer chiller, 5 months later I’m still getting air out of the bleeder. Just put a pile of paper towels under the bleeder and keep burping it, the burps are getting smaller and smaller every time, got to end soon.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
When I put the Magnuson blower on my 6.1 a few years ago, I had this problem also. I used the bleeder valve on the heat exchanger over and over and got nothing but liquid, but when I pulled the cap on reservoir it still wasn't flowing full force. I took the car out and made repeated, erratic, sharp left and right turns, like they do when they're heating up tires on race cars (hoping to knock the air bubble lose). Then hard stops, forward and backward. I also jacked the car way up on the front (wheelie style) while running and then just the one corner and took the cap off the system. Nothing really worked.
Then a short time later I noticed a seepage/wetness (Not a drip or leak) on one of the lines going to the exchanger while doing an oil change. When I pulled to change clamp, the water gushed out and when I was done went to refill system. It was flowing like CRAZY. I guess the pulled line off the bottom of the heat exchanger caused a syphon effect and pulled the air out :unsure:. I topped off the system and was fine ever since.

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat

Attachments

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I bought one of these for when I finish my FI spacers and blanket install.

I’ll post the link in case someone down the road needs it.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/coolant-refill-air-purge-tool/003466sch01/

does the use of this tool require me to drain the complete system first?

I don't know about that particular one, but I've heard nothing but good things about vacuum fillers.

Let us know how it works out, I've considered something like that for years and just never done it.

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I don't know about that particular one, but I've heard nothing but good things about vacuum fillers.

Let us know how it works out, I've considered something like that for years and just never done it.
I’ve seen nothing but good reviews on the website I bought it from (ECS tuning), on YouTube and on amazon. i think it’s one of the best quality lower priced models you can get. The parts are robust and don’t feel cheap at all.
I had been eyeballing this thing for years too!!
I’ll let you all know how it works out.

I need to figure out if i have to drain the system before using it, I don’t think I do, just want to be sure.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I’ve seen nothing but good reviews on the website I bought it from (ECS tuning), on YouTube and on amazon. i think it’s one of the best quality lower priced models you can get. The parts are robust and don’t feel cheap at all.
I had been eyeballing this thing for years too!!
I’ll let you all know how it works out.

I need to figure out if i have to drain the system before using it, I don’t think I do, just want to be sure.
Yeah definitely. Post results, good or bad. Like to know how it holds up with coolant and underhood temps for a period of time.

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Question

If you drain the system wouldn't that add more air to it?

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Question

If you drain the system wouldn't that add more air to it?
the premise of this tool is to create a vacuum in the system that removes All the air. Then at the flip of a switch it holds that vacuum while refilling the system with coolant.

im wondering if I need to drain the system first before using the tool because if I don’t drain it first I can see the tool sucking out all the coolant while its attempting to create the vacuum.

Yeah definitely. Post results, good or bad. Like to know how it holds up with coolant and underhood temps for a period of time.
im a little confused with your post. This tool doesn’t stay installed on the car. Once you refill the coolant youre done.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
im a little confused with your post. This tool doesn’t stay installed on the car. Once you refill the coolant youre done.[/QUOTE]

Thought it was an air separator like Hickster was talking about, but was plastic instead of brass or stainless. that's why I asked about the durability with coolant and under hood temps. Now I understand what it is.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I don't guess that with the system under vacuum , it wont collapse any of the intercooler lines ?
Or is that not enough vacuum to do any damage to anything ?

Nice kit , thanks for sharing that , hopefully one of those filler neck adapters will fit or work right ?

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I bought one of these for when I finish my FI spacers and blanket install.

I’ll post the link in case someone down the road needs it.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/coolant-refill-air-purge-tool/003466sch01/

does the use of this tool require me to drain the complete system first?
Yes , pretty sure your gonna drain the whole system (I'd say in a bucket) & pull a vacuum & refill making sure you have enough in the bucket to refill it.