Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Intermittent HID (solved). Step inside.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
Well, you may have read my how-to replace your HID capsules (bulbs).

I found that my driver light was out, so naturally, I ordered a pair of bulbs and replaced them.

Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago, when I notice the same light is out, again! Now, I'm sure it's not the capsule... probably the ballast.

I watch it's performance, for about a week and a half.... Yep, it's intermittent. Of course, I order a Xenon Igniter (ballast) and installed it, today.

No joy. Light still out.

Ugh.

I grabbed my meter, to check voltage at the headlamp connector and found zero volts. How can that be? I just saw the lamp working, this morning. Fuses dont go intermittent, so what gives?

I pulled fuses 15 and 16 and they were fried. I mean plastic melted and terminals burned. The fuse link was intact. Turns out, the burned fuse terminals were providing intermittent continuity. The driver side fuse was worse than the passenger side, but they both crapped out.

This was an expensive lesson, for me... so learn from this. If you have HIDs and they are acting up, check the fuses... FIRST. In their burned state, they CAN cause an intermittent condition.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Riverside, California

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Well, you may have read my how-to replace your HID capsules (bulbs).

I found that my driver light was out, so naturally, I ordered a pair of bulbs and replaced them.

Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago, when I notice the same light is out, again! Now, I'm sure it's not the capsule... probably the ballast.

I watch it's performance, for about a week and a half.... Yep, it's intermittent. Of course, I order a Xenon Igniter (ballast) and installed it, today.

No joy. Light still out.

Ugh.

I grabbed my meter, to check voltage at the headlamp connector and found zero volts. How can that be? I just saw the lamp working, this morning. Fuses dont go intermittent, so what gives?

I pulled fuses 15 and 16 and they were fried. I mean plastic melted and terminals burned. The fuse link was intact. Turns out, the burned fuse terminals were providing intermittent continuity. The driver side fuse was worse than the passenger side, but they both crapped out.

This was an expensive lesson, for me... so learn from this. If you have HIDs and they are acting up, check the fuses... FIRST. In their burned state, they CAN cause an intermittent condition.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Riverside, California
Thanks Bob...very good info. When I got my 2003 Durango, the fuse for the heated seats burned as well and into the fuse holder. Not sure what happened (thought previous owner used wrong fuse)?

Any ideas on why this happened?

OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
Thanks Bob...very good info. When I got my 2003 Durango, the fuse for the heated seats burned as well and into the fuse holder. Not sure what happened (thought previous owner used wrong fuse)?

Any ideas on why this happened?
It's weird, because they are 20 amp fuses... correct for that circuit.

I'm not a fan of HIDs, anyway, but blame the igniters (ballasts). Who the heck needs a computer to control a light bulb, anyway? LOL.

Bob
Riverside, California

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Wow... that is incredibly bad. Are you going to add additional/upgraded grounds to the circuit?

And folks will still talk crap about having the poor performing "standard" lights; a lot of good they do you when they don't turn on... or burn your car down.

OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
Wow... that is incredibly bad. Are you going to add additional/upgraded grounds to the circuit?

And folks will still talk crap about having the poor performing "standard" lights; a lot of good they do you when they don't turn on... or burn your car down.
Imma have to pull the schematic, for this circuit, and look at the grounds.

I have no idea why they are running 18awg, in that circuit... my 1948 Indian Chief uses 12 awg, for its headlight. Kinda seems like we're going backwards.

A better ground path would certainly help. For now, I'm keeping a few of these fuses, in the glovebox.

Bob
Riverside, California