Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Looking for advice on tires to use on 18x5 DragStar-92 front wheels.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
The tires on the front have reached end of life and I'm looking to replace them with a new set of tires before an event. I've done some searches in a lot of the wheel/tire threads but can't seem to find a good recommendation thread for these wheels. I started with a basic want, run six inch wide tires in the front so it doesn't feel like I'm going to die on the highway driving to/from track but they also have to be radials since I am running ET Street R's in the rear (305/45/17). M/T doesn't make a ET Street R front that is for a 18" rim. Went and looked at the following: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-6688.

Does anyone have an opinion on this tire or anything similar?

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
The tires on the front have reached end of life and I'm looking to replace them with a new set of tires before an event. I've done some searches in a lot of the wheel/tire threads but can't seem to find a good recommendation thread for these wheels. I started with a basic want, run six inch wide tires in the front so it doesn't feel like I'm going to die on the highway driving to/from track but they also have to be radials since I am running ET Street R's in the rear (305/45/17). M/T doesn't make a ET Street R front that is for a 18" rim. Went and looked at the following: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-6688.

That is a good tire to use. It's heavier than the bias ply alternative. That is the price to pay for a radial. I know someone that daily drives his HC with those tires.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
agree with Jim, really heavy an I sent mine back to summit an ordered the M&H racemasters an really like them. primary use is for the dragstrip but have used them on the street as well. only on a dry day an I don`t go far from home.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #4
agree with Jim, really heavy an I sent mine back to summit an ordered the M&H racemasters an really like them. primary use is for the dragstrip but have used them on the street as well. only on a dry day an I don`t go far from home.
I saw these at summit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mnh-rod12, for the price that's not that bad. Are you running these or the 4.5" tires?

That is a good tire to use. It's heavier than the bias ply alternative. That is the price to pay for a radial. I know someone that daily drives his HC with those tires.
Bias ply would be okay if I was still running slicks in the rear. On my ScatPack I ran slicks all around and then I went to ET Street R's, the bias ply in the front would fight with the rear radial at top end and it made me uncomfortable. I'm waiting to hear back from oilburner to see what he's using and I'll make a decision soon.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I saw these at summit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mnh-rod12, for the price that's not that bad. Are you running these or the 4.5" tires?
28 x18 by 4.5

Bias ply would be okay if I was still running slicks in the rear. On my ScatPack I ran slicks all around and then I went to ET Street R's, the bias ply in the front would fight with the rear radial at top end and it made me uncomfortable. I'm waiting to hear back from oilburner to see what he's using and I'll make a decision soon.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
summit part# is MNH-MSS025 RACEMASTERS fit perfect on my 5 inch forgestar f14 wheels.
those other tires at 26 inch tall will look way to small on your car. an when driving on street I have the p-zeros on the rear.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet

Get the tires you have linked. You will not regret it. They drive great and are safe.