Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Maxed out rear drag package! Anybody looking to do that?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Ok here goes. This is just a feeler to see if somebody here might be thinking about taking your rear end to the limit. Sometime in the future, I’m going to be changing over to a 4-link rear. I will be dropping my cradle and there it will sit on the floor. Attached to that cradle is a DSS 9” conversion. That includes a Strange 9” 3:40 Pro Gear ring and pinion with a 35 spline spool. DSS 1400+ hp axles and a 4” aluminum drive shaft. Also included is a Carlyle 15” brake conversion with billet spindles and the drilled/slotted brake rotors. A complete set of AAD control arms that they call their drag pack. Stock shocks with Demon/1320 springs and a complete set of BMR cradle and diff lockouts. This is as far as you can go, still keeping the Independent rear suspension in the car. I will also have two sets of 15x10 Billet Specialties bead lock wheels with M/T 315 Radial Pros available separately as well. The cost of doing this is $14k with one set of the wheels and tires. That’s before the labor to install everything. I’m thinking $10k for the whole thing. Assembled and ready to simply lift up and bolt in. Don’t even have to align the rear wheels as it’s already done. This setup has produced a 1.26 sixty ft in my 4500 lb car. If somebody might be looking to do the 9” conversion and necessary additional mods at some point in the future..... contact me and we can talk. Also.... check out my pics on my build thread. Some pics of this all in place and also some new pics of one of the new 4-links going in. 99631519-DCC3-4182-BA6F-3CFC7980AFA0.jpeg

Last edited:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
What are you going to do instead?

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #3

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Roger that.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
This post both gave me a chub and made me sad at the same time.

MurderCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Rochester
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Whipple Hellcat (Sold) 22 GMC 2500HD Denali
Would love to grab that 9" conversion, on the dream parts list. Unfortunately need to focus on a new tow rig for next season, just sold my daily driver with the Covid-19 market. GLWS!

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
@Hpindy @DemonSRT

My turn to spend your money......:ROFLMAO:

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
I have a friend with an '07 Charger that has a monster, NA, over 800 hp (I think 810 or so) that has a 9" setup like your's. Early on, he was having traction problems on every outing. It would bite; start to pull the front wheels; and then the suspension would unload and he'd lose traction. I kept urging him to have a four link installed, but he resisted. He finally found a guy that eliminated the problem by helping him get the right springs and change various settings. Now he has a problem with pulling 4 foot wheelies on his launches! He's going to work with this guy some more to get just the right launch, which may include a wheelie bar of some sort. My point is, as much as I thought the IRS in these cars is crap for drag racing, the conversion he has (like yours) can work pretty dang good if set up right.

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #11
I have a friend with an '07 Charger that has a monster, NA, over 800 hp (I think 810 or so) that has a 9" setup like your's. Early on, he was having traction problems on every outing. It would bite; start to pull the front wheels; and then the suspension would unload and he'd lose traction. I kept urging him to have a four link installed, but he resisted. He finally found a guy that eliminated the problem by helping him get the right springs and change various settings. Now he has a problem with pulling 4 foot wheelies on his launches! He's going to work with this guy some more to get just the right launch, which may include a wheelie bar of some sort. My point is, as much as I thought the IRS in these cars is crap for drag racing, the conversion he has (like yours) can work pretty dang good if set up right.
You’re right, they can. But..... I’m making 1400hp and it will be more in the future. I have a transbrake with a 2Step and can’t use it. Too hard on the IRS axles at this weight.

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Ah, I see. Yea, the 4 link is your best bet. Curious what times you're running? He's at about 8.80 right now but wants to sort out the wheel stand problem to get down into the low 8s. Geez....

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #13
Ah, I see. Yea, the 4 link is your best bet. Curious what times you're running? He's at about 8.80 right now but wants to sort out the wheel stand problem to get down into the low 8s. Geez....
I ran a 8.902 at 155.1mph at 4525 lbs. with this setup.

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I talked to my friend and found out he's down to 2,800 lbs. I think he's been addicted to lightening everywhere he could. He's running an all aluminum 449 ci Gen3 w/turbo 400 and the 9 inch conversion like your's. He's committed to no blower; no turbo and no NOS. The car is pretty impressive. I don't know that he can get much lower et, he just wants it lower than the 8.80 mark that he has run. He said if he goes too much lower, he'll have to put a whole new cage in. Crazy stuff I tell ya, crazy stuff...

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
That's just freaking ridiculous! NA builds are hard - I'm not a nitrous person but I'll slap a blower on just about anything. Good on him from representing.

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #16
I talked to my friend and found out he's down to 2,800 lbs. I think he's been addicted to lightening everywhere he could. He's running an all aluminum 449 ci Gen3 w/turbo 400 and the 9 inch conversion like your's. He's committed to no blower; no turbo and no NOS. The car is pretty impressive. I don't know that he can get much lower et, he just wants it lower than the 8.80 mark that he has run. He said if he goes too much lower, he'll have to put a whole new cage in. Crazy stuff I tell ya, crazy stuff...
The NHRA has cage requirements for different ET ranges. Any car that goes below 8.50 has to go to the next level that is good down to 7.50. Much more stringent requirements as far as the structure of the cage goes.

Last edited:

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I apologize for not remembering all the details of his and my conversations of the past. Those 8.50 / 7.50 numbers sound familiar and make sense. He runs in a 10.50 tire class and is just trying to be competative while maintaining his "all motor" goal. If he could get it to go straight forward instead of straight upward (he put it on the rear bumper once) I think he'd achieve his goal.

DemonSRT

500 Posts Club
Donating Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kawartha Lakes
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Built in Canada 2018 Demon #3135
@Hpindy @DemonSRT

My turn to spend your money......:ROFLMAO:
Sorry @Markp. I was out west and just got back and saw this.
Sounds interesting but I think the only item I would be interested in is the 15" conversion.
You can spend my money anytime something interesting comes up. lol