Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Motor Trend trashes Challenger Hellcat Red Eye (December 2019 edition)

TEXAS REDEYE

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
PASADENA
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 HELLCAT RED EYE
I'll let you guys go to the local store and read it while the wife shops instead of buying it. In a nutshell, Randy Pobst rates it 12/12, while Motor Trend rates it 11/12. They ran a blistering 11.8 @ 126 with a 0-60 time of 3.8 seconds (insert sarcasm simile). The only car MT rated lower than the Red Eye was the Toyota GR Supra (Launch Edition).

Randy Pobst comments on the Red Eye.........."Someone had to be last. The Dodge isn't refined, but it could be the most fun. Seats are like thrones. The Hemi pulls harder than you'd dream, tranny is sharp and effective in manual mode. Heavy handling is balanced and brings on the good times."

Motor Trends comments on the Red Eye........." An absolute hoot when blasting exhaust notes at your friends during stoplight-to-stoplight drags, impressing/appalling neighbors with apocalyptic burnouts, and driving a sweeping country road at 70 percent. But ask it to lay waste to a racetrack or take a narrow twisty road at full chat, and the Challenger is found wanting."

Outside of the BMW M2, Shelby GT 350, and the Toyota Supra, all other cars were way more expensive.

Look, I know car mags are subjective and don't really mean a thing, but still, nobody wants their car to be rated last or next to last on any testing.

Rant over.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Tat's it??? Can't slam any better than that"" Nothing about the tires that mite be on he Camaro?? ell Cat, if that's it what else to read?? Idiot,, best that I can say with out getting banned by the otter place, if not buy now.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody

SunnyS

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Siesta Key
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat
Challenger out sold both Camaro and Mustang so nobody cars about Motor Trend.

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
One fools opinion... disregard.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
And I've said it before, I'll say it again, nobody cares about turning when there is a HEMI in front of you... make up for it in the straights!

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
A mazda miata might handle better than my hellcat but who cares? I bought it for what it is a "muscle car." Many automotive authorities are clueless. I remember reading a review on the HC challenger in which the journalist said " I don't know what the hellcat is supposed to be?" What an idiot.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I always get a chuckle when the car reviewers mention road course handling and the word Challenger in the same sentence. It's a big ass car, handles just fine for what it is and what it's made for, and accelerates like it defies the laws of physics.

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
I personally don’t give a rip what any magazines have to say about our overweight girls! I love my redeye and that’s that. The hell with them, also why I don’t buy there rag mag....

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat, Demon, Trackhawk and project X,
Those guys just don't get it, maybe too many test drives with exotics. MOPAR has always been the dark horse, Hemi just rocks.

The Englishman

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2018 Demon
I know which one I’d have ,in a heartbeat

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
The car is hated on because its the same thing since 2015 (late 2014).

Camaros and Mustangs have all been refreshed and even have new platforms.

All FCA did was wide body and more HP.

There was a video WB HC vs ZL1. The ZL1 bested everything the WB HC did performance wise however, the two hosts just kept giggling at driving the WB HC. So, it couldn't be a terrible car if they are giggling like school girls while driving it on a canyon road.

There was also one where the ZL1 was up against the GT350. And they trashed the ZL1 much like they did the WB HC.

Always seems like an agenda in these writings/videos. Buy what you like

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
I dont know... the WB Charger looks pretty capable, on the track...

Bob
Riverside, California

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
11.8 in a Redeye I don't trust a single word from anyone who runs 11.8 in a Redeye. My first pass ever in my Redeye with a light launch was 10.8 with 1000 miles on the car. You could run better then 11.8 in a Redeye with the black key. These guys call themselves car guys..what a joke.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
IF IT CAN TAKE A DODGE HATER LIKE I WAS FOR YEARS AND CHANGE MY OPINION THEN IT MUST BE A HELL OF A CAR !!!

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
Motor trend guy prolly drives a Prius...

Bob
Riverside, California

Member ID
Reactions
City
Asheboro
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 WBHCRE
My .02. I've been a subscriber to MTOD for at least 2 years. I have a track rat 91 NA Miata. Is a great car. Was a street car, got a little Road Kill in me, the wife hated it.
Bought a 2003 Miata for her. These are $2500 salvage title cars, fully capable, fully legit road cars. Fun as hell.
The Redeye IS a different animal. I posted about two/three weeks back how MT even considered a Dodge. I'm sure they did it on the HP number.
So how did it fair? Watch the videos. Without quoting, It's an awesome car, can get you in a lot of trouble, not for the newbie driver ,..all while giggling. Do you find yourself in the same situation? Do you drop the pedal slightly and wait for it? Does it bring a smile to your face? It does mine.
I'm not interested in the negatives of a review. I'll take the positives. It was considered against what? Look at those price points, and what they do.
So, as of tonight,.....look at Jay Leno's Garage at the new 2020 Mustang GT500.
Bad assery. Would I buy one? No. Why? It's not me.
To me visually, and I posted this on the video, it's a Camaro, meets a BRZ, meets a GTR. That's what I see. What do I hear? Something pretty special. That engine and throw in the seats is there.
That said, I'm waiting for an ACR Challenger.....I may be crazy, and I'm not in the know about anything, but I believe there is something coming to compete. It may be end by of year, but 50th Anniversary,
Only downside is the news today of FCA now looking to still partnership up with another company.
I'll keep my Redeye until.....
My .02
L J

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I drank the Koolaid!
I have never regretted buying my HC...not once.
Every time I see it, I want to drive it. Even mundane drive to/from work always seems to include at least one of those giggle moments where ya think, this thing IS insane!
Glad there are other fast cars out there, good for you Ford...but I'll keep my HC.

Proud American

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
It is impossible to do an "apples to apples" comparison when reviewing Hellcats to anything else. They stand alone as the only true modern muscle car.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States