Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

My Journey to HC ownership

MM Alexander

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amarillo
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger HC WB
Hello World!
It's been a good while since I've been the "new guy" anywhere - but here I am. I've long been into sports/muscle cars and I've owned a plethora of them over the past 30 years. A Fox/SN 5.0 Mustang guy in the late 80's - early 2K's. The past decade and a 1/2 being deep into the LSx/LTx world. The previous 8 years or so, I've owned some form of a Corvette. An overly modified C6 GrandSport (made 918 to the tires), followed by another GS (kept it about 2 months) and finally a C7 Z06 - which I sold just this past Wednesday. I hardly ever drove it (2016 with under 21K on the odometer when sold) and I grew tired of the awkward egress/regress inherit to the low slung design of the car. Also, with the hooplah over the new C8 and the outrageous mark ups dealers are charging (upwards of $25K is the average) for a damn base model Vette, I felt I better take the money and run - while the value of the car was still somewhat respectable - based on the fact that the C8 is so hard to obtain - but that will change.
I had been intrigued/interested in the HC's since they were first introduced. I mean, no matter what brand you may be a "fanboi" of, there's something enticing about over 700 HP - from the factory with a warranty! I'm not much of a brand loyalist (Brands aren't loyal to me - why should I be to them) I just didn't find the Challenger visually appealing enough to warrant more than passing interest. That is until I noticed the wide bodied versions of the HC's. I started to look at reviews, that lead me to look at pricing and before I knew it ... I was deep into the proverbial rabbit hole.
I'm now up late, on my phone scouring the interweb of car sites looking for a low mileage HC WB in the maroon/cranberry color family. There is nothing of note, within 500 miles Amarillo, not at price I was willing to pay. I expand the search to Nationwide one evening and I find what it is I was seeking @ Koon in Virginia, an Octane Red 2020 with just 1400 miles for $62K. I reach out and get a pseudo reply, without much info, the following day. In between response/replies from Koons (the original Internet sales guy was a joke at best ... more on that later). Eventually (after a few emails/calls) I get a salesman interested in trying to sell me the car I inquired about. Saturday afternoon we iron out the particulars, agree to the numbers and they plan to overnight me the papers to sign and send back. Later on that evening, I to delve deeper in the rabbit hole - continuing to gather info/data until late into the night. Perusing various forums and see many a post when searching for Koons and find out they are a major player in the HC game. After reading more post than I care to count, mostly relating to out the door deals. I came to the conclusion that with rebates/offers from FCA, I'd only be out $3200 extra buying a new HC as opposed to the used model I was eyeing. I get in touch with my Sales Advisor early this morning and send him some models I found on Koons site to find out if they were available. If so, get me the best numbers and lets make it happen.
Well, Scott did as I asked and now I'm the owner of a new 2020 Challenger HellCat Wide Body Octane Red. I'm going to fly into Dulles on Wednesday and take a long, winding road trip back to Texas.
Scott sent me a video message Click Me Click Me of which I edited for time and added a bit of content to (images, transitions etc) in order to make it a bit more interesting.
I'm pretty excited, which is abnormal for me as I'm usually the "it's just another car " guy.
Long diatribe but Thanks for reading :cool:

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Congrats, welcome to a great forum and thanks for your service!

Post pics when you get a chance.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Congrats, welcome to a great forum and thanks for your service!

Post pics when you get a chance.
Welcome from Southern California. Glad to have you here. Definitely pictures when available.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Welcome New Guy!

I'm getting ready for a trip for myself (and the forum too???), I'll be out for the most part for the beginning of the week.

Forum rules dictate you post up super high resolution pictures of your car when you get it or we'll send the forum rats after you. :unsure: :p

;)

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Welcome New Guy!

I'm getting ready for a trip for myself (and the forum too???), I'll be out for the most part for the beginning of the week.

Forum rules dictate you post up super high resolution pictures of your car when you get it or we'll send the forum rats after you. :unsure: :p

;)
Holy bejesus.....we got a RAT squad?????...Hmmm..how many Italians ya got on this squad..:unsure::unsure::unsure:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Holy bejesus.....we got a RAT squad?????...Hmmm..how many Italians ya got on this squad..:unsure::unsure::unsure:

1613358551788.png

The Rat Patrol

;)

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Hello World!
It's been a good while since I've been the "new guy" anywhere - but here I am. I've long been into sports/muscle cars and I've owned a plethora of them over the past 30 years. A Fox/SN 5.0 Mustang guy in the late 80's - early 2K's. The past decade and a 1/2 being deep into the LSx/LTx world. The previous 8 years or so, I've owned some form of a Corvette. An overly modified C6 GrandSport (made 918 to the tires), followed by another GS (kept it about 2 months) and finally a C7 Z06 - which I sold just this past Wednesday. I hardly ever drove it (2016 with under 21K on the odometer when sold) and I grew tired of the awkward egress/regress inherit to the low slung design of the car. Also, with the hooplah over the new C8 and the outrageous mark ups dealers are charging (upwards of $25K is the average) for a damn base model Vette, I felt I better take the money and run - while the value of the car was still somewhat respectable - based on the fact that the C8 is so hard to obtain - but that will change.
I had been intrigued/interested in the HC's since they were first introduced. I mean, no matter what brand you may be a "fanboi" of, there's something enticing about over 700 HP - from the factory with a warranty! I'm not much of a brand loyalist (Brands aren't loyal to me - why should I be to them) I just didn't find the Challenger visually appealing enough to warrant more than passing interest. That is until I noticed the wide bodied versions of the HC's. I started to look at reviews, that lead me to look at pricing and before I knew it ... I was deep into the proverbial rabbit hole.
I'm now up late, on my phone scouring the interweb of car sites looking for a low mileage HC WB in the maroon/cranberry color family. There is nothing of note, within 500 miles Amarillo, not at price I was willing to pay. I expand the search to Nationwide one evening and I find what it is I was seeking @ Koon in Virginia, an Octane Red 2020 with just 1400 miles for $62K. I reach out and get a pseudo reply, without much info, the following day. In between response/replies from Koons (the original Internet sales guy was a joke at best ... more on that later). Eventually (after a few emails/calls) I get a salesman interested in trying to sell me the car I inquired about. Saturday afternoon we iron out the particulars, agree to the numbers and they plan to overnight me the papers to sign and send back. Later on that evening, I to delve deeper in the rabbit hole - continuing to gather info/data until late into the night. Perusing various forums and see many a post when searching for Koons and find out they are a major player in the HC game. After reading more post than I care to count, mostly relating to out the door deals. I came to the conclusion that with rebates/offers from FCA, I'd only be out $3200 extra buying a new HC as opposed to the used model I was eyeing. I get in touch with my Sales Advisor early this morning and send him some models I found on Koons site to find out if they were available. If so, get me the best numbers and lets make it happen.
Well, Scott did as I asked and now I'm the owner of a new 2020 Challenger HellCat Wide Body Octane Red. I'm going to fly into Dulles on Wednesday and take a long, winding road trip back to Texas.
Scott sent me a video message Click Me Click Me of which I edited for time and added a bit of content to (images, transitions etc) in order to make it a bit more interesting.
I'm pretty excited, which is abnormal for me as I'm usually the "it's just another car " guy.
Welcome...your no stranger to horsepower...but what your gonna love....how comfortable..docile..and how utilitarian these beasts are...from the ride integrity to the comfort..ease of getting in and out...then when ya wanna giggle..mash the throttle...again..and again..and again...

Last edited:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Someone said it best..."mild to wild with the hit of the throttle."

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Someone said it best..."mild to wild with the hit of the throttle."
Aretha Franklin...said it

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
Great story!

Welcome, from Southern California!

Bob

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Hello World!
Welcome and congratulations.
Enjoy with cautious enthusiasm.
Cool video link.
BTW:
You need to correct Scott.
He said 392 with 717HP.
392 is 6.4
HC is 6.2

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new HC!

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
There is a salesman at Koons that gives a discount to forum members......Craig......I'll see if I can find it.....someone just bought a car through him.....give me a bit to find it

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
ask @Tannehill for Craigs last name at Koons....he has bought cars through him.

CPRHDSRT

Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fork
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 HC Challenger
Welcome and congrats on your 2020 WB HC purchase.

I got forum member pricing (6% off invoice minus discounts / rebates at time of delivery) for our 2020 Durango R/T order through Craig at Koons .....

Craig Benner
Online Forum/Ordering Manager
Koons of Tyson's Corner
Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram
craig.benner@koons.com
O- 703-790-0900 EXT 17638

Not sure if this will help (may be too late perhaps).

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Welcome and congrats on your 2020 WB HC purchase.

I got forum member pricing (6% off invoice minus discounts / rebates at time of delivery) for our 2020 Durango R/T order through Craig at Koons .....

Craig Benner
Online Forum/Ordering Manager
Koons of Tyson's Corner
Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram
craig.benner@koons.com
O- 703-790-0900 EXT 17638

Not sure if this will help (may be too late perhaps).
I knew someone else had recently bought through him, but I couldn't remember who else it was....I didn't leave you out on purpose...I promise :D

I'm wondering if he can get us similar deals on Ram pickups.......possibly a Power Wagon??? :unsure::unsure::unsure:

CPRHDSRT

Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fork
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 HC Challenger
No worries. I would certainly think Craig could help out on a Ram as well.

OP
MM Alexander

MM Alexander

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amarillo
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger HC WB
Thread Starter #19
Thanks everyone for the inviting welcomes.
Those asking for pics - it’s a video linked in the post.
The discount for forum members is only if you order (not those already on the lot).

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Thanks everyone for the inviting welcomes.
Those asking for pics - it’s a video linked in the post.
The discount for forum members is only if you order (not those already on the lot).
That's weird because I've never heard the "order" exclusion before this. I'm sure there are a few here that have gotten the discount and it's been for lot units. When I was interested in a Jeep GC, they were willing to give it to me on a lot unit. When Erica was running it, she was quoting people group prices on lot units also. Maybe things have changed.

if they have changed the conditions, that's good to know.