Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

New NHRA Cage Rules..

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Just out of PRI yesterday…. The NHRA has made a rule change announcement that 2014 and later cars will not need to have the required 8.5 cert cage until 9.0 seconds and/or 150 mph. The current rule has been 10.0 (9.99) and over 135 mph. So I assume the the new et requirement will be 8.99 and 150 or faster. This came from reliable sources at PRI. There has not been a official press release from the NHRA so far but more than one source is confirming. I’m assuming that there are airbag requirements and other stuff and I did not hear anything about the currently required Competition License.

Last edited:

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Just out of PRI yesterday…. The NHRA has made a rule change announcement that 2014 and later cars will not need to have the required 8.5 cert cage until 9.0 seconds and/or 150 mph. The current rule has been 10.0 (9.99) and over 135 mph. So I assume the the new et requirement will be 8.99 and 150 or faster. This came from reliable sources at PRI. There has not been a official press release from the NHRA so far but more than one source is confirming. I’m assuming that there are airbag requirements and other stuff and I did not hear anything about the currently required Competition License requirement.
I'm not really surprised. There are so many street cars capable of running close to that now. Safety has improved a ton in cars since the last rule change. The last time they changed the rules there was basically only air bags in the steering wheel and pass side dash. Now to install a cage you have to remove all the air bags so a trade off.
In some places (here) a car with a roll bar or cage is no longer street legal.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Damn. That means that I'll just go faster.

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #4
I'm not really surprised. There are so many street cars capable of running close to that now. Safety has improved a ton in cars since the last rule change. The last time they changed the rules there was basically only air bags in the steering wheel and pass side dash. Now to install a cage you have to remove all the air bags so a trade off.
In some places (here) a car with a roll bar or cage is no longer street legal.
I’m not either. It’s overdue. What I’m curious to hear about is the licensing requirements. Everybody else has to have the competition license to be allowed to go under 10 seconds, and while the late model cars are safer, that doesn’t have anything to do with the person behind the wheel. The current license required for 9’s is actually good down to 7.50. 8.99 is actually pretty damn quick. I’m not sure some level of licensing shouldn’t be required to do that. I guess we’ll see. 👀

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Air Bag requirements. I can help with that.........

Yes @Marc W it will be interesting to see how the rule is written. License requirements and allowable mods etc......I also wonder how they came up with the 2014 year as far as this rule is concerned........Maybe the Mustangs?

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Also note: this is happening right as the possible Hellephant Challenger and the all Electric Dodge MuscleCar will be coming out. Coincidence?

Last edited:

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Also note: this is happening right as the possible Helliphant Challenger and the All electric Dodge MuscleCar will be coming out. Coincidence?
And Tesla Plaids running 9s.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
And Tesla Plaids running 9s.

Knowing how badly built the unibody is on the Teslas, they should be explicitly excluded from the rule change.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Knowing how badly built the unibody is on the Teslas, they should be explicitly excluded from the rule change.

I don't know much about them.

More are showing up in my neighborhood. I don't get it.

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
Just out of PRI yesterday…. The NHRA has made a rule change announcement that 2014 and later cars will not need to have the required 8.5 cert cage until 9.0 seconds and/or 150 mph. The current rule has been 10.0 (9.99) and over 135 mph. So I assume the the new et requirement will be 8.99 and 150 or faster. This came from reliable sources at PRI. There has not been a official press release from the NHRA so far but more than one source is confirming. I’m assuming that there are airbag requirements and other stuff and I did not hear anything about the currently required Competition License.
Hell yeah about time! Now if I can get those 9’s😳

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Does anyone know if taking the passenger seat out disables all airbags or just the drivers side? I don't mind putting the seat back in but then I have to create a new laptop mount (I'm not opposed to this either).

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Does anyone know if taking the passenger seat out disables all airbags or just the drivers side? I don't mind putting the seat back in but then I have to create a new laptop mount (I'm not opposed to this either).
Are you using a laptop for data?

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
I use one of Rons bypass harness, but the answer to your question still remains.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
If you're using HP setup the app. Droid only, I think. Screenshot_20211211-141625_TDN.jpg

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Not following your logic here. Did you mean, does removing the Pass seat disable the Pass seat airbags ony, or does it disable all the airbags? I have seen opinions go both ways and strong opinions at that. I did not program the module. So I have NO IDEA what will happen. Anyone want to help me crash test one of these cars to find out? Otherwise we have to make some assumptions.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
It seems to me that if we found the RIGHT person at Dodge, they could answer this definitively. Not Dodge Cares, or the help line, but an inside source.

There's one guy I could ask, but I'm pretty sure he's not the right guy. (But maybe he could point us in the right direction?)

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Not following your logic here. Did you mean, does removing the Pass seat disable the Pass seat airbags ony, or does it disable all the airbags? I have seen opinions go both ways and strong opinions at that. I did not program the module. So I have NO IDEA what will happen. Anyone want to help me crash test one of these cars to find out? Otherwise we have to make some assumptions.
You followed the logic perfectly... Does removing the passenger seat disable only the passenger air bags or all the air bags.

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #20
I know that removing the passenger seat (requires unplugging the harness) turns on the airbag light. I have not heard “officially” that that disables “all” of the airbags. I have seen that Speculation 🤔 Ron is right…. It doesn’t seem like it should, but trying to find out that type of info from Dodge is impossible. The other big question is…. Do Ron’s little things fix that possible issue and actually make the mothership think it’s all good and restore function. I don’t see why it wouldn’t. I do know that tech in some cases will check to see if your airbag light is on and if it is…. You don’t run. I’m sure that with this new rule change there may be a focus on that. I am going to bet that the NHRA is still going to require the Competition License and other personal safety equipment. All of the other drivers still have to, and unless there is going to be some kind of late model privilege in place (discrimination) they are still going to get that license. 😏

Last edited: