Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Noise from rear end?

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
No not my rear end...PHEWT....:)

I took a friend for a ride yesterday to demo my 2017 Hellcats power. During a couple of spirited starts I noticed a noise from the rear when it seemed to get traction and shift a gear. It seemed to be a bang when the gears changed. Is this just the differential torquing once the wheel spin/ hop had stopped? Being new to the car I hadn’t heard this before. It was nothing to concerning, just something both of us noticed.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
No not my rear end...PHEWT....:)

I took a friend for a ride yesterday to demo my 2017 Hellcats power. During a couple of spirited starts I noticed a noise from the rear when it seemed to get traction and shift a gear. It seemed to be a bang when the gears changed. Is this just the differential torquing once the wheel spin/ hop had stopped? Being new to the car I hadn’t heard this before. It was nothing to concerning, just something both of us noticed.
If you can hear a bang when your on it and engine is loud , somethings not right. Check it out. It might be the center bearing on the 2 piece drive shaft going, or a diff/cradle bushing that's shot. (Don't know how long you've owned it or miles or how hard it was driven before you got it) or just something on the rear suspension getting loose. Get it in the air and check it out.

OP
2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
Ive only had it 3 months. It has 5600 miles on it. It had been used as a pace car locally, was well maintained by the dealership sponsoring the car.
I’ll get under it this week to see if there’s anything obvious