Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Paddle Down & Hold Question

Rollieman

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hamilton
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
On a roll at 50 MPH with transmission in automatic

I understand if you hold the left paddle down and hold it down the transmissions will find it's lowest optimum gear ---- (assume 4500 RPM).

My question is: will it stay in that gear (4500 RPM) as long as you're holding it down until you go WOT ?

I know if you tap & release it drops down one gear for every tap; but, will only stay for about 10 seconds before it starts upshifting.

Thank you !

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
I believe it has an override built in to protect you from yourself. Meaning I think it will hold that gear but also shift if you dont at a certain rpm point.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
I believe it has an override built in to protect you from yourself. Meaning I think it will hold that gear but also shift if you dont at a certain rpm point.
Correct I’ve tried it and it works. Check your owners manual for details.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
On a roll at 50 MPH with transmission in automatic

I understand if you hold the left paddle down and hold it down the transmissions will find it's lowest optimum gear ---- (assume 4500 RPM).

My question is: will it stay in that gear (4500 RPM) as long as you're holding it down until you go WOT ?

I know if you tap & release it drops down one gear for every tap; but, will only stay for about 10 seconds before it starts upshifting.

Thank you !

Pull for 2 to 3 seconds, then let go. The trans will find the lowest ALLOWABLE gear. Not optimal gear - it will find the lowest allowable gear. It will stay here, at least on mine, until you tell it to stop. You don't really want to be at the very top of the range when you hit it because as the revs hit when you WOT the trans will shift and that always gives me a feeling of a bog - it is suboptimal. When you go WOT, trans will then upshift every time it reaches the red line automatically. As you note, if you do nothing, or get out of it, even without you telling the trans to go back to regular operation it will eventually time out and return to regular op regardless.

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
I wish mine would up shift once I go WOT. If I'm in manual mode and using my paddles, it is very MANUAL. I really cannot get on it (it gets pretty crazy on me); try to watch the tach and watch the road and keep the car under control without reaching redline (before I can upshift) and sending the car into an rev limit / limp mode situation. I then have to slow down; through it into neutral; then back into gear / automatic mode.

I drive with the paddles when just cruising around and bringing the revs up a little higher between shifts than what it would do in AUTO mode. If I go WOT, it always climbs too fast for me to keep up with and I end up in limp mode. Very frustrating, especially when I got into it with a C7 Corvette. The race was on and I was starting to pull ahead. Next thing I know it's in limp mode and the C7 shot ahead. The guy and I slowed down, side by side again and I told him I'm having problems with manual shifting and said we should try it again. He looked at my side emblem and asked "is that a Red Eye". When I told him "yes", he didnt want to race again. Now he's probably going around telling people about how he masively pulled away from a Red Eye. :mad:

OP
Rollieman

Rollieman

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hamilton
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #6
Pull for 2 to 3 seconds, then let go. The trans will find the lowest ALLOWABLE gear. Not optimal gear - it will find the lowest allowable gear. It will stay here, at least on mine, until you tell it to stop. You don't really want to be at the very top of the range when you hit it because as the revs hit when you WOT the trans will shift and that always gives me a feeling of a bog - it is suboptimal. When you go WOT, trans will then upshift every time it reaches the red line automatically. As you note, if you do nothing, or get out of it, even without you telling the trans to go back to regular operation it will eventually time out and return to regular op regardless.
Thank you Maginified ---- just to follow up: If I pull down the paddle and hold it down will it continue maintain that (lowest allowable gear) indefinitely providing I don't move the throttle pedal or let up the paddle?

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
I wish mine would up shift once I go WOT. If I'm in manual mode and using my paddles, it is very MANUAL. I really cannot get on it (it gets pretty crazy on me); try to watch the tach and watch the road and keep the car under control without reaching redline (before I can upshift) and sending the car into an rev limit / limp mode situation. I then have to slow down; through it into neutral; then back into gear / automatic mode.

I drive with the paddles when just cruising around and bringing the revs up a little higher between shifts than what it would do in AUTO mode. If I go WOT, it always climbs too fast for me to keep up with and I end up in limp mode. Very frustrating, especially when I got into it with a C7 Corvette. The race was on and I was starting to pull ahead. Next thing I know it's in limp mode and the C7 shot ahead. The guy and I slowed down, side by side again and I told him I'm having problems with manual shifting and said we should try it again. He looked at my side emblem and asked "is that a Red Eye". When I told him "yes", he didnt want to race again. Now he's probably going around telling people about how he masively pulled away from a Red Eye. :mad:
Just leave it in auto and pull the paddles. If you pull the paddles while it's in auto mode it will up/down shift as you command, but will automatically upshift at redline when you reach it so it won't hit the fuel cut. And if you do nothing for a few seconds it'll go back to auto mode.

If you move the shifter to 'M' it truly is in manual mode and will stay in whatever gear you ask for. You could bang it off the rev limiter all day if you want (or when you're too slow with the paddles).

If you're trying to race someone, you're best bet is letting it shift itself in track mode.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thank you Maginified ---- just to follow up: If I pull down the paddle and hold it down will it continue maintain that (lowest allowable gear) indefinitely providing I don't move the throttle pedal or let up the paddle?
Don't know what it will do if you continue to hold. Should drop to lowest allowable after 2 seconds and you let go of the paddle then. And be prepared - it means lowest allowable. Sometimes makes me cringe it goes so low.

HemiPacer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Malvern
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
When I’m racing at the track I race in M1 ( paddles) as it will hold the gear until 6.2 then up shift itself. From memory straight auto mode up shifts at 5.8 . I have had two instances of hitting the rev limiter in 500 odd passes.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
Why don't the hellcats have the stutter rev limiter like the viper?

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
When I’m racing at the track I race in M1 ( paddles) as it will hold the gear until 6.2 then up shift itself. From memory straight auto mode up shifts at 5.8 . I have had two instances of hitting the rev limiter in 500 odd passes.
So at the track you pull the shifter over to the left (manual mode) then do all your upshifts with the paddle on the steering wheel?

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
So at the track you pull the shifter over to the left (manual mode) then do all your upshifts with the paddle on the steering wheel?
Dont even need to pull the shifter over. Once you hit the paddles (assuming the mode ur using has them enabled) the car will switch over automatically.

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
Dont even need to pull the shifter over. Once you hit the paddles (assuming the mode ur using has them enabled) the car will switch over automatically.
Ok I get that but I'm trying to get a slightly higher shift rpm like 6100 or so. Is there a way other than a tune to achieve that? I understood that when the shifter is pulled left in manual mode you can shift whenever either by the paddles or bumping the shift handle up for a manual shift. People say to stay away from this as it easy to over rev the engine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

HemiPacer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Malvern
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
Ok I get that but I'm trying to get a slightly higher shift rpm like 6100 or so. Is there a way other than a tune to achieve that? I understood that when the shifter is pulled left in manual mode you can shift whenever either by the paddles or bumping the shift handle up for a manual shift. People say to stay away from this as it easy to over rev the engine.

I think when you pull the shifter across it goes into a manual mode that won’t upshift when hitting X rpm . I have tried racing like that to squeeze a few more rpm out of each gear but surprise surprise I’m not as consistent as the A8 .
Don’t touch the shifter and after getting rid of the traction control pull the left paddle towards you and you’ll see M1 come up on the bottom right corner of the instrument cluster . It also makes it easier to control your burnouts as the car won’t bog down changing gear at 5.8 .
There is some differing opinions on whether this is helpful over the quarter mile , I guess it depends on how much power you have gear ratio and how many gear changes before hitting the line .

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
My experience was when you you put the shifter in manual 1st it bounced off the limiter before I could shift it LOL

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
My experience was when you you put the shifter in manual 1st it bounced off the limiter before I could shift it LOL
Lol that's what I want to avoid..

Member ID
Reactions
City
thousand oaks
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Don't know what it will do if you continue to hold. Should drop to lowest allowable after 2 seconds and you let go of the paddle then. And be prepared - it means lowest allowable. Sometimes makes me cringe it goes so low.
I hear you on that. When I hold my paddle coming into a U-turn for example I scare myself and anyone in close proximity as it practically locks up the tires, engaging at what feels like 5000+ rpm. I've never looked because I'm worried about controlling the abrupt deceleration.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle

No. The factory set up won't let you intentionally go over the rev limiter... Now, that doesn't mean that you can't "bounce" over it accidently. If revs increase so fast rotational mass and kinetic energy can push the motor over the "max" rev count before the fuel reduction can arrest the rev climb. Or so it has been reported. I don't have a log or anything like that to show concrete proof (seems to me Dodge's tuners should have recognized the potential for this kind of situation and figured out exactly how far in advance of the "red line" they needed to have the the nannies jump in to prevent an over rev situation - or perhaps where the currently redline is set is really the "we need to start pulling here to avoid going much higher" and already takes into account the possibility of bouncing above it).

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
No. The factory set up won't let you intentionally go over the rev limiter... Now, that doesn't mean that you can't "bounce" over it accidently. If revs increase so fast rotational mass and kinetic energy can push the motor over the "max" rev count before the fuel reduction can arrest the rev climb. Or so it has been reported. I don't have a log or anything like that to show concrete proof (seems to me Dodge's tuners should have recognized the potential for this kind of situation and figured out exactly how far in advance of the "red line" they needed to have the the nannies jump in to prevent an over rev situation - or perhaps where the currently redline is set is really the "we need to start pulling here to avoid going much higher" and already takes into account the possibility of bouncing above it).
What's the factory rev limiter again on a regular Hellcat?

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
What's the factory rev limiter again on a regular Hellcat?

6200 RPM if I remember correctly.