Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Prevent the dreaded U-Connect updates

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
Are you one of the unfortunates who had problems after a U-Connect update? Or, are you like me and object to a shadowy unknown entity controlling our vehicles without having any say or control with the U-C updates.
I recently installed a device that prevents the U-C updates. The only drawback is, it blocks 911 or other cellular communication from the U-C system. Like most of you, I have a cell phone, so I don’t use the U-C for that anyway.
It is literally plug and play. The hardest thing is removing the instrument panel bezel to access the U-C module. Then pull the module out enough to access the antenna, release the antenna and install the “Dongle”. Voilà.
You ask why not just disconnect the cell antenna? If you disconnect the antenna, you can permanently damage the cell, in the car. You may also get a nag screen, from time to time. As shown below. The “Dongle” mimics the antenna load avoiding any issues and lets you return to stock if you ever want too.
1679532657656.png
The “Dongle” was conceived by a fellow forum member with an electronics background. The best thing is, it is priced very reasonably. It works on 15-23 Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram vehicles. It may function on earlier year models. He hasn’t researched them. Sirius, Gps and Nav are not affected.
For more information or purchase contact Bob at: info@luxte.ch

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
Mine’s a 2015 and seems that I don’t get those update notices anymore... love it! Just last weekend, I decided to update via download to thumb drive. Update went quick and clean. Much happier doing it on my terms now.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
The update on the Charger was forced. It shut down until the update was complete.

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
sub'd

2fast4u

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
It's just a resistor to mimic antenna line resistance/load.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
It's just a resistor to mimic antenna line resistance/load.
Also, faraday material, to block signal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Why are they dreaded? Mine updates, everything always works fine after.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Why are they dreaded? Mine updates, everything always works fine after.
Not so, for everyone.

OP
Deano

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
Thread Starter #9
The update on the Charger was forced. It shut down until the update was complete.
Exactly, that is what happened to mine about 2 years ago and why I wanted to avoid another.
Just a week ago I installed the "Dongle" after the screen showed a required update. After I installed it, the screen page was gone and I've had no further update messages.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Exactly, that is what happened to mine about 2 years ago and why I wanted to avoid another.
Just a week ago I installed the "Dongle" after the screen showed a required update. After I installed it, the screen page was gone and Iv'e had no further update messages.
What's the "dongle"?

OP
Deano

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
Thread Starter #11
The device that replaces the antenna connected to the U-Connect module.

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
yea, the f'n dongle that they screwed me over on for a year's worth of fee and the POS never worked :mad:

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hmmm... not sure what you're referring to, but my mod blocks all cellcomms and I've uploaded a How-To to build your own.

No fees.

Not affiliated with MOPAR, Stellantis, or UConnect. Just working out of my home shop, building weird mods for our cars.

OP
Deano

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
Thread Starter #14
yea, the f'n dongle that they screwed me over on for a year's worth of fee and the POS never worked :mad:

I don't know what you had, but I can tell you mine works.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Got my first pop-up with the new unit yesterday. Pressed the left arrow, it disappeared for now, PHUCK EM.

Same goes for that worthless now only six month Sirius promotion. I have not even listened to that shit yet. Amazon Music is free with my Prime membership has great sound quality compared to that satellite provided crap. Made me a 34 hour playlist the other night, seems to play the music I want and does it automatically. This new wireless automatic CarPlay connection works real well. I must say, in this case, well done Dodge!

I am not going to activate squat, same as my Challenger, nothing!

Idoru99

Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Springfield
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Redeye WB
Are you one of the unfortunates who had problems after a U-Connect update? Or, are you like me and object to a shadowy unknown entity controlling our vehicles without having any say or control with the U-C updates.
I recently installed a device that prevents the U-C updates. The only drawback is, it blocks 911 or other cellular communication from the U-C system. Like most of you, I have a cell phone, so I don’t use the U-C for that anyway.
It is literally plug and play. The hardest thing is removing the instrument panel bezel to access the U-C module. Then pull the module out enough to access the antenna, release the antenna and install the “Dongle”. Voilà.
You ask why not just disconnect the cell antenna? If you disconnect the antenna, you can permanently damage the cell, in the car. You may also get a nag screen, from time to time. As shown below. The “Dongle” mimics the antenna load avoiding any issues and lets you return to stock if you ever want too.
View attachment 101320
The “Dongle” was conceived by a fellow forum member with an electronics background. The best thing is, it is priced very reasonably. It works on 15-23 Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram vehicles. It may function on earlier year models. He hasn’t researched them. Sirius, Gps and Nav are not affected.
For more information or purchase contact Bob at: info@luxte.ch
YEP! Put one on my 2015 RAM and have one on the shelf to go into my 21 Redeye - when I get the chance to pull the instrument bezel.

Idoru99

Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Springfield
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Redeye WB
Got my first pop-up with the new unit yesterday. Pressed the left arrow, it disappeared for now, PHUCK EM.

Same goes for that worthless now only six month Sirius promotion. I have not even listened to that shit yet. Amazon Music is free with my Prime membership has great sound quality compared to that satellite provided crap. Made me a 34 hour playlist the other night, seems to play the music I want and does it automatically. This new wireless automatic CarPlay connection works real well. I must say, in this case, well done Dodge!

I am not going to activate squat, same as my Challenger, nothing!
What is this wireless connection you speak of? Is it only for Apple, or will it work for Android as well?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
What is this wireless connection you speak of? Is it only for Apple, or will it work for Android as well?
Both. The new system does away with the wire. AND, it has an inductive charging too.

2fast4u

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
What is this new system you talk of? Ever since I got my s21Ultra, it will not do wireless connect for Android Auto...Have to USB every time, with the prior Samsung I had it was no problem, get in car and start, Boom, it auto switched to android auto wirelessly.

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
Not so, for everyone.
The anecdotal "argument" is SUCH garbage..."well I'm not having a problem so what's the big deal here"; when clearly there's plenty of people that have. Myopic ignorance it is; and if you're not having the issue then move along, nothing to see here. Clearly just wanna throw rocks and crap on a useful product that you don't have use for. Pretty douche-like...

Props to @Diboblo for doing this and other LX/LY/etc. related products that are extremely useful and otherwise likely wouldn't be manufactured if it wasn't for him...