Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

PSA Merger with FCA: EV, Autonomous cars are coming

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
https://electrek.co/2019/11/02/the-...tric-vehicle-powerhouse-under-carlos-tavares/

quick snipet...

This week’s announcement of a 50-50 merger between the PSA Groupe and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) could create the world’s fourth-largest automaker. A big winner in the marriage is vehicle electrification.

The deal, if all goes well, would create an expansive portfolio of brands, including Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Citroën, Dodge, DS, Fiat, Jeep, Maserati, Opel, Peugeot, Ram, and Vauxhall. The company would produce about 9 million vehicles per year.

Of course, we know that FCA’s former CEO, the late Sergio Marchionne, put a damper on EVs during his tenure. But with the merger, things would change. Carlos Tavares, the prospective CEO of the merged FCA-PSA alliance, is as gung-ho as Marchionne was uneager.

OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #2
Zero replies...10 days post-merger news...

End of ICE? Death to Supercharged V8s? All of this is BS, no changes?

Good, bad or the ugly, let's hear what u think!

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Zero replies...10 days post-merger news...

End of ICE? Death to Supercharged V8s? All of this is BS, no changes?

Good, bad or the ugly, let's hear what u think!
ITS OVER

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Short run might prolong V8s as merger increases fleet MPG numbers thus reducing FCA fines? EV batteries are a long way from being a replacement to ICE...they suck in cold climates and the thermal runaway issues with the batteries in bad accidents. Think V8s are toast though, but ICE/hybrid shit boxes will continue to be pushed. Enjoy your Cats...glad to be here with you Bi@#$chs.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Depressing, I'll keep my Cat till they pry my cold, dead fingers off the steering wheel !

OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
I cant imagine ESCALATING the HP wars at this point tho....

Agree?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I cant imagine ESCALATING the HP wars at this point tho....

Agree?

Disagree

If FCA knows their customers, which I hope and believe they do, I could see a high performance hybrid.

No?

OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
Disagree

If FCA knows their customers, which I hope and believe they do, I could see a high performance hybrid.

No?
AH ok I meant ALL ICE...should have said so....

yeah once we go hybrid, personally I'm out...thankfully I have a Demon and other non-golf cart equipped cars to last me a long time...

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Porsche 918 and McLaren P1 are the future when the technologies are cheap enough.

Infrastructure just isn't there to go full EV. Cars will be some sort of hybrid probably for the next 20+ years.

The rumor is still that there is a C8 in the pipeline with twin turbos and hybrid drive train pushing 1000hp. While its all rumors, it has come from historically accurate sources in the vette community. I guess we will see

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
AH ok I meant ALL ICE...should have said so....

yeah once we go hybrid, personally I'm out...thankfully I have a Demon and other non-golf cart equipped cars to last me a long time...

Would you consider 800hp ICE + 200hp Elec if that was the only performance choice?

I wouldn't like it, but I'd take that over nothing.

The Englishman

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2018 Demon
Electric/ hybrid vehicles are all about lower emissions and saving the planet,with the ice on the hybrid being a small often three cylinder lump,so a nice V8 coupled to the golf cart motor is illogical at best,we are Mopar tho🤪

As for autonomous vehicles that’s one scary concept to me which I can’t see taking off on a large scale,but who knows.

Personally I believe the majority of new vehicles will be electric within ten years,hope I’m wrong,but as Joe said I have a few runarounds that drink gas,IF it’s still available.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Porsche 918 and McLaren P1 are the future when the technologies are cheap enough.

Infrastructure just isn't there to go full EV. Cars will be some sort of hybrid probably for the next 20+ years.

The rumor is still that there is a C8 in the pipeline with twin turbos and hybrid drive train pushing 1000hp. While its all rumors, it has come from historically accurate sources in the vette community. I guess we will see
I don't think the cost efficiency for electric motors on each wheel is there yet tbh, the p1 and 918 spyder are hypercars for all intents and purposes.

However as much as you guys groan about turbos it's the only way we will get to keep v8s for the short and near future, eliminating the $1700 gas guzzler tax plus getting 17 and 24 on an 800+ hp powertrain sounds real nice to me even if the car doesn't sound quite as loud, a straight pipe could fix that problem, plus turbo wouldn't lose hp at altitude so high altitude areas get to enjoy some fun too.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Electric/ hybrid vehicles are all about lower emissions and saving the planet,with the ice on the hybrid being a small often three cylinder lump,so a nice V8 coupled to the golf cart motor is illogical at best,we are Mopar tho🤪

As for autonomous vehicles that’s one scary concept to me which I can’t see taking off on a large scale,but who knows.

Personally I believe the majority of new vehicles will be electric within ten years,hope I’m wrong,but as Joe said I have a few runarounds that drink gas,IF it’s still available.
sure for the mass majority but electric motors that drive each wheel have track and drag uses albeit not so cost efficient yet, like I said in other threads but certain people cry about moving to awd, imagine the redeye with an awd system that can send 100% power to rear or 30/70, now imagine that on top of the 30% power sent to the front you have electric motors sending power to them, now you can launch the car at ridiculous rates, on the road courses it's a much more fun thing, applying power to the front or back wheels while the car is turning to hit the apex faster, etc. etc.

Autonomous is already here, telsa, Cadillac supercruise, mb and bmw take over in traffic completely under 30 mph, etc. etc. but fully autonomy is still a ways to go.

Majority of vehicles will not be electric in 10 years, more like 20+. I would say 95% of cars in 10 years will offer electric variants in their trim levels, remember the first hybrid came out in the early 2000s and in the late 2010s is when a majority of manufacturers released a hybrid esque model for a large amount of their models.
Also there aren't enough charging stations in most of America outside of california and metropolitan areas, I would assume the rest of the world is in the same bost.

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
I think the end of the horsepower wars is within sight. Not because the technology doesn't exist to keep it going within new fuel standards, but I think the market will change. There aren't many millennials that I know who are in to large V8 muscle cars. I'm sure this forum is dominated by Gen X and Baby Boomers. I'm in my prime earning years so probably have one or two somewhat expensive fast cars left to purchase, but I'm sure like most of you as I get closer to retirement I'll own what I own at that point and won't be dropping big dollars on toys. I don't think there are enough people behind us with the same interest to keep them building these cars.

OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #15
Would you consider 800hp ICE + 200hp Elec if that was the only performance choice?

I wouldn't like it, but I'd take that over nothing.
but thats just it..I HAVE SOMETHING aleady...multiple somethings..and used ICE somethings if I want...

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
I don't think the cost efficiency for electric motors on each wheel is there yet tbh, the p1 and 918 spyder are hypercars for all intents and purposes.

However as much as you guys groan about turbos it's the only way we will get to keep v8s for the short and near future, eliminating the $1700 gas guzzler tax plus getting 17 and 24 on an 800+ hp powertrain sounds real nice to me even if the car doesn't sound quite as loud, a straight pipe could fix that problem, plus turbo wouldn't lose hp at altitude so high altitude areas get to enjoy some fun too.
I agree, however many times a build like that is done to experiment with new technologies.
I believe they will trickle down to the more mainstream brands as they learn to make them cheaper etc.

I remember when Blu Ray Disc player was $1,000 retail and the laser to read them cost something like $150 for the mfg to purchase
Then BD went into Playstations and the price of that laser dropped to just a few dollars.
Now you can walk into Wal Mart and buy a BD player for $50!

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
I think the end of the horsepower wars is within sight. Not because the technology doesn't exist to keep it going within new fuel standards, but I think the market will change. There aren't many millennials that I know who are in to large V8 muscle cars. I'm sure this forum is dominated by Gen X and Baby Boomers. I'm in my prime earning years so probably have one or two somewhat expensive fast cars left to purchase, but I'm sure like most of you as I get closer to retirement I'll own what I own at that point and won't be dropping big dollars on toys. I don't think there are enough people behind us with the same interest to keep them building these cars.
Well i will be 40 next year and have been told that i am a Millennial. If that is the case, i know a lot of Millennials that are into cars.

Im curious to see how FCA uses this turbo 6 they have in the pipeline. 525hp for a performance version is more than the 392. Also, a potential twin turbo making 700hp!

The old Japanese inline 6s from Toyota and Nissan could make 1000+ hp with aftermarket help. If FCA is building something similar with new tech, im interested. Just don't pull a GM and lock everyone out.

Otherwise im with Jaxson over here.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
I agree, however many times a build like that is done to experiment with new technologies.
I believe they will trickle down to the more mainstream brands as they learn to make them cheaper etc.

I remember when Blu Ray Disc player was $1,000 retail and the laser to read them cost something like $150 for the mfg to purchase
Then BD went into Playstations and the price of that laser dropped to just a few dollars.
Now you can walk into Wal Mart and buy a BD player for $50!
yeah I'll +1 that, same with your v6 twin turbo comment, however srt could still make use of v8s with twin turbos like amg and M cars, imagine a 5.0L twin turbo making more power than a redeye and getting better gas mpg than a 5.7L hemi.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle