Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Pure Alcohol in Catch Can

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
As the title says, pure alcohol in the catch can. I started running corn back in September. I Live in Pa, it started getting cold here about a month ago, cold brings super DA, like minus 1500 early morning snd late evening and I’m out in it having a blast as the car it’s like nuts crazy power wise in it especially now on corn, runs like scraped ape in it. But I’ve noticed in this cold weather, 35-45 F, I’m finding pure alcohol in my UPR remote mounted catch can. Seems the cold catch can which is mounted right behind passenger side head lights condenses alcohol out of the blow by. Anyone else see this? There’s very little to no oil in it and what is is 2-3 pea size perfectly round BB’s of yellowish what will mush between your fingers like soft wax. The E content has now gone down to 73% in pump E85 and I purchased a barrel of E98 I mix with the 73 to maintain 85% E in the tank. I tested the fluid in the catch can with a electronic tester, it’s 100% alcohol, it burns with a invisible flame with only blue tips, like a Bunsen burner in biology class LOL. This normal??

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Subscribed / Interested in the conversation

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
I thought it’s just water mainly from it being cold. I used to have my catch can by the engine where it was warm and it would be oil for the most part, since I moved it behind the headlight, they fill with water / and a few globs of oil when it’s cold out. I daily drive in the winter and I have to empty them once a week at least.

I guess I’ll try to light it on fire....

OP
16GoManGoHC2

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
I thought it’s just water mainly from it being cold. I used to have my catch can by the engine where it was warm and it would be oil for the most part, since I moved it behind the headlight, they fill with water / and a few globs of oil when it’s cold out. I daily drive in the winter and I have to empty them once a week at least.

I guess I’ll try to light it on fire....
Looks exactly like crystal clear water, I thought it was water too at first. smell it, smells like E. Pour it in a small container like a tea or coffee scooper and hit it with a match, I bet it lights right off!! Mine did!!
You running corn I assume?

FlyByU

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Stafford
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2010 Challenger SRT
Its normal, change your oil frequently with e85.

The Englishman

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2018 Demon
Stills are illegal over here🥺

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Well, this explains why @Hickster has 20 catch cans on his HC ! Mak'in shine as he drives !!

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
Looks exactly like crystal clear water, I thought it was water too at first. smell it, smells like E. Pour it in a small container like a tea or coffee scooper and hit it with a match, I bet it lights right off!! Mine did!!
You running corn I assume?
Yes, corn for many year.

I change oil about every 2000-3000 miles. All the blackstone tests others have done have shown virtually zero breakdown in materials vs. 93

I also use Amsoil 10w-40 for the forged bottom. That oil has all the bells and whistles as far as extra protection goes.

OP
16GoManGoHC2

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
Yes, corn for many year.

I change oil about every 2000-3000 miles. All the blackstone tests others have done have shown virtually zero breakdown in materials vs. 93

I also use Amsoil 10w-40 for the forged bottom. That oil has all the bells and whistles as far as extra protection goes.
So you try lighting it on fire yet? Curious if yours burns too or not?

I’m running 85-88% E in the tank at the moment. Snowed here today 2” or so and they salted the roads, guess I’m done for the season :(

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
we may get our first snow this weekend

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Its normal, change your oil frequently with e85.
so why is this? What makes this fuel different then others?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
As the title says, pure alcohol in the catch can. I started running corn back in September. I Live in Pa, it started getting cold here about a month ago, cold brings super DA, like minus 1500 early morning snd late evening and I’m out in it having a blast as the car it’s like nuts crazy power wise in it especially now on corn, runs like scraped ape in it. But I’ve noticed in this cold weather, 35-45 F, I’m finding pure alcohol in my UPR remote mounted catch can. Seems the cold catch can which is mounted right behind passenger side head lights condenses alcohol out of the blow by. Anyone else see this? There’s very little to no oil in it and what is is 2-3 pea size perfectly round BB’s of yellowish what will mush between your fingers like soft wax. The E content has now gone down to 73% in pump E85 and I purchased a barrel of E98 I mix with the 73 to maintain 85% E in the tank. I tested the fluid in the catch can with a electronic tester, it’s 100% alcohol, it burns with a invisible flame with only blue tips, like a Bunsen burner in biology class LOL. This normal??
So it sounds to me...like you got a 700 plus horse power still in your garage...;)

OP
16GoManGoHC2

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13
So it sounds to me...like you got a 700 plus horse power still in your garage...;)
Yea, sitting there board, it wants to EAT!!!

FlyByU

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Stafford
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2010 Challenger SRT
so why is this? What makes this fuel different then others?
Its 85% plus ethanol, thats the difference, lol. The nature of the fuel and the combustion process. I read up on it and its just how it is. Its really not fuel, its moisture but has enough fuel in it to keep the smell and be somewhat flammable. Thats my understanding anyway, I didnt bother getting too deep into the research once I realized its just how it is and no changing it.