Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

RE tranny drivability questions.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I have about 200 miles on the RE now. Had it out yesterday and for the first time at full temp (204-215) the tranny would lurch pretty good when put in drive and brake on. I've put it in manual mode the last couple of times and been shifting just to get a feel for it. But again, as I've said in a previous post I've been driving this thing like an old lady. No high rpm, no hole shots, nothing crazy even when in manual code. But yesterday I put it in reverse (smooth, no lurch at all)then put it in drive big lurch or lunge. Is that normal. Shout out to @hellno if you could put in any input, much appreciated.

Also; when in manual mode no matter how slow or under normal acceleration from 1st gear there's always a double bump (shift?) but the tranny still says first until you shift. Every time, even if I don't shift it's a take off then slight 'bump' but tranny has not shifted. Definitely feels like 2 gears.

Is this all normal? Thanks to anyone who can contribute.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I have about 200 miles on the RE now. Had it out yesterday and for the first time at full temp (204-215) the tranny would lurch pretty good when put in drive and brake on. I've put it in manual mode the last couple of times and been shifting just to get a feel for it. But again, as I've said in a previous post I've been driving this thing like an old lady. No high rpm, no hole shots, nothing crazy even when in manual code. But yesterday I put it in reverse (smooth, no lurch at all)then put it in drive big lurch or lunge. Is that normal. Shout out to @hellno if you could put in any input, much appreciated.

Also; when in manual mode no matter how slow or under normal acceleration from 1st gear there's always a double bump (shift?) but the tranny still says first until you shift. Every time, even if I don't shift it's a take off then slight 'bump' but tranny has not shifted. Definitely feels like 2 gears.

Is this all normal? Thanks to anyone who can contribute.
I have noticed that same engagement on three different transmissions mine doesn’t do it now but I have the demon converter and with it the engagement is much smoother but before with the stock converter mine did it as well , I believe it to be a characteristic of the transmission, if you can get access to a scan tool that have the capability of doing a quick learn it may help but I personally would not worry about it

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #3
I have noticed that same engagement on three different transmissions mine doesn’t do it now but I have the demon converter and with it the engagement is much smoother but before with the stock converter mine did it as well , I believe it to be a characteristic of the transmission, if you can get access to a scan tool that have the capability of doing a quick learn it may help but I personally would not worry about it
Thank you Dave.
Tony.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Also it’s still under warranty tell the service department about it , there may be a reflash that may help as well , I haven’t checked for any but it would be worth looking into

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Most of the A8s do that once in awhile. My 16 Hellcat did it and my redeye does it every now and then.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I get some weird trans behaviour periodically. Mostly after having thrashed on the car - which I attribute to the computer trying to anticipate my next application of the whip. As long it has not gone on several times in a row in the same situation I have had to back off my concerns (normally I would pursue it with vigor). But these A8s are pretty damn tough, so until it becomes a constant thing, I tend not to be too concerned. Can't tell from your post how bad it is, but it seems from my reading to be pretty constant. Particularly the lurch is concerning. Maybe take to the dealer for code and update check?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Glad mine is parked. Last I tried, it works great!