Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Rear Wheel Negative Camber - How Much Is Too Much?

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker
My new 2020 50th has a rear wheel camber of -2.5 degrees. What seems excessive to me, may not be to others... I prefer less negative camber. SWM supplied me with 2020 FCA specs of -1.7 rear wheel camber. It seems I read that the 50th anniversary models come slightly lowered vs non-anniversary models, so I'm wondering if this is why there is more negative camber? I checked 7 Challenger's on the lot this week, none of which exceeded -1.7 degrees, but then none of those were 50th models. I tried discussing the issue with the service manager at the dealership, which was a complete waste of time. I had to get out of there before... well, you get the picture.

There's not a single Dodge dealership in my immediate area that exceeds a 2 star rating, and it shows. A reputable dealer on the east coast is going to do a full alignment assessment next week. I surmise that Dodge must have used a slightly lower spring on the 50th model, I'm not sure? I don't see any other explanation for the additional negative camber. btw... SWM (Steve White Motors) does a Magnuson blower system that tucks underneath the "shaker" system.

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
this would be too much
1626481912061.png

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Challengers seems to have too much for whatever reason compared to Chargers.

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
I put a Bwoody kit on the rear of mine but you can save $$ by just installing a set of camber bushings to have some camber adjustment back there.

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 9.34.28 AM.png

OP
68coronet

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
I put a Bwoody kit on the rear of mine but you can save $$ by just installing a set of camber bushings to have some camber adjustment back there.

View attachment 49279
Thanks! I saw these, but I still want to know why the rear wheel camber is 2.5 degrees vs 1.7 degrees; per the 2020 specs. If MOPAR tells me this is normal for the 50th models, I'd be good with that. I'd still want less negative camber, but I would at least know it is by design. Getting information from Dodge is, well... dodgy.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

View attachment 49279
I have seen those. How hard is it to get out the old ones?

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
Thanks! I saw these, but I still want to know why the rear wheel camber is 2.5 degrees vs 1.7 degrees; per the 2020 specs. If MOPAR tells me this is normal for the 50th models, I'd be good with that. I'd still want less negative camber, but I would at least know it is by design. Getting information from Dodge is, well... dodgy.
Just depends on if you’re OK with a 235 contact patch or 305 ;) One good burn out will show you how much is contacting the road.

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
I have seen those. How hard is it to get out the old ones?
I think there’s a press-on tool shops use.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Watching. An alignment shop and the dealer could only get mine to 1.8 degrees. Close, but still a tenth out. Don’t want premature wear on the PS4S I just put on.

OP
68coronet

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
Watching. An alignment shop and the dealer could only get mine to 1.8 degrees. Close, but still a tenth out. Don’t want premature wear on the PS4S I just put on.
Did they install bushings? What was the camber before they did the work?

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Did they install bushings? What was the camber before they did the work?
No.
I’ll have to look later to see if I can find print out.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
If you get serious about changing it you'll likely need some suspension pieces. Personally I run +.25 camber without me in the car which settles to about +.10 with me in it. This makes it about square when I mash the loud pedal insuring maximum wheel patch on the ground. I'm also noticing my tires seem to be wearing better as well vs the stock setting.

I run the AAD drag pack rear suspension which allows the adjustment.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Set the toe setting about straight on or just a hair pointing in to keep the tire wear away. Camber won’t matter so don’t sweat it. What @Speedy! says is more important info for the camber setting back there.

OP
68coronet

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
Set the toe setting about straight on or just a hair pointing in to keep the tire wear away. Camber won’t matter so don’t sweat it. What @Speedy! says is more important info for the camber setting back there.
Is the toe adjustable at the rear wheels?

Last edited:

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
If you get serious about changing it you'll likely need some suspension pieces. Personally I run +.25 camber without me in the car which settles to about +.10 with me in it. This makes it about square when I mash the loud pedal insuring maximum wheel patch on the ground. I'm also noticing my tires seem to be wearing better as well vs the stock setting.

I run the AAD drag pack rear suspension which allows the adjustment.
I just installed the AAD lowers on mine and noticed that although the AAD arm is beefy and has a spherical end on one side and a steel bushed end on the other (ie. rigid) the lower bushing on the rear brake spindle was waaay flexing on removing of stock pieces and install of the AAD's. So my question is, is there a more rigid replacement for the lower bushing in the rear spindle? The Achilles heal in any system is it's weak link, and to me, it seams this is it. No matter how rigid the lowers, under power that still has to be flexing and changing rear suspension specs alot.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State