Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Redeye brake failure

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
A buddy of mine has a 2019 Redeye. Last week he tried to stop and all the sudden the brake pedal was very hard, as if there was no vacuum on the brake booster. The car only slightly slowed down with both feet on the brake pedal, so sadly he gave the car sitting at the light a love tap resulting in "minor" damage to his RE. He said its never done it before, or since then. He is going to take it in, and I am sure the dealer will just give the standard we cant find a problem so cant fix it speech. Anyone else had a similar issue?

An intermittent brake problem is a quite scary on a car that weighs 4000lbs and is capable of 200mph!

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
FYI, the RE brakes are not unique to it. It contains the same brake system as the Hellcat and several other models.

Keep us posted as to the findings, please.

OP
45-70govt

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
Knew the RE had the same brakes, just trying to be specific. Ill report back if they find anything.

OP
45-70govt

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #4
As I understand there was braking action, but just very limited. He said both feet on the pedal as hard as he could it only slowly slowed down, it didn't slow anything like normal with one foot lightly on the pedal.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat
Was there any hard braking previous to the brake pedal going hard?

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
If only there was another way to manually slow a car? ;)

If the dealership gives your friend "the cannot repeat" line, have him call FCA/SRT right in front of them and open a case, then call the NHSTA and open another, and then call his lawyer.

Safety systems are no joking matter.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Years ago we had Jag. SOB was in the garage more than we had it. Finally after some brake problems, they failed for the Mrs in a panic stop on the interstate. Nobody injured but she rear ended a car. We met for a meeting a Jag, and I wrote the letter demanding a new vehicle. I was five minutes late to the meeting. They already had agreed and she was on her way upstairs to pick out her replacement car.

Yep, those kinds of things can get attention. THEY SHOULD, I AGREE.

Kwalski

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Is there any way for data to be pulled from the black box? I know insurance companies can get that information and it maintains many data points for some time. It would tell the speed, deceleration forces, maybe even pedal force?

OP
45-70govt

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #9
He said it never happened before or since. I guess he was shifting with the paddles to help slow it down but didn't hit the e brake as there was really no time as it took him by surprise. Would be a bit scary to use the e brake in my opinion, as there is no way to release it unless you push it further. Might be an insta- skid scenario.

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
Years ago we had Jag. SOB was in the garage more than we had it. Finally after some brake problems, they failed for the Mrs in a panic stop on the interstate. Nobody injured but she rear ended a car. We met for a meeting a Jag, and I wrote the letter demanding a new vehicle. I was five minutes late to the meeting. They already had agreed and she was on her way upstairs to pick out her replacement car.

Yep, those kinds of things can get attention. THEY SHOULD, I AGREE.
I had a Jag once... spent more time in the shop than on the road.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Subscribed

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
Subscribed.

Bob
Riverside, California

Catless

Member ID
Reactions
City
Parkersburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat Challenger
Factory brake pads/rotors?

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
Defiantly a problem. Thats what I dislike about my Cat is the brakes will throw you thru the wind shield if you stab them very hard.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Something like this happened in my Ram 1500 when it was newer.
Only happened once and it was in a parking lot going maybe 5-10mph but the pedal was rock hard. I put it in neutral and pushed the emergency brake to stop it.
Turned it off.
Restarted the truck. Worked fine. Strangest thing and its never happened again in 6 years since.

OP
45-70govt

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #16
Only "mod" to the brakes are the Power stop Z23 pads. They have been on the car for many months before the issue occurred. Looked at the brake booster diagram and there is actually an electronic check valve on the brake booster of our cars. No idea if it is what caused it, but the way electronic things can be intermittent it could be related. Will report back once he hears from the dealer.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
FCA wont like the Z23 pads! be prepared to hear some sh-t.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
FCA wont like the Z23 pads! be prepared to hear some sh-t.

Agreed....

On the flip side, the owner's not the only one running them, not by a long shot. Many, many miles driven on them by many of the members here without this issue. And as stated, they've been on the car for some time.

Catless

Member ID
Reactions
City
Parkersburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat Challenger
Only "mod" to the brakes are the Power stop Z23 pads. They have been on the car for many months before the issue occurred. Looked at the brake booster diagram and there is actually an electronic check valve on the brake booster of our cars. No idea if it is what caused it, but the way electronic things can be intermittent it could be related. Will report back once he hears from the dealer.
Not going to get into a discussion about whether the pads could be involved but if it were my car I would change back to the OEM pads immediately. I did ask the question if the brakes were stock for a reason. If we assume that there really is some issue with the braking system and it happens again the outcome could be a lot worse. I would not want to give any opportunity for the manufacturer to point at aftermarket parts as a possible problem.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Not going to get into a discussion about whether the pads could be involved but if it were my car I would change back to the OEM pads immediately. I did ask the question if the brakes were stock for a reason. If we assume that there really is some issue with the braking system and it happens again the outcome could be a lot worse. I would not want to give any opportunity for the manufacturer to point at aftermarket parts as a possible problem.
This is true. This would be a classic example where the Magnuson-Moss Act is actually against you with the manufacturer, further your liability insurance better be in good shape because if you hurt someone your toast financially.