Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

REDEYE: Spare tire and more weights and measures.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Today I removed the Performance Spare tire (from Performance spare tire co.) I put in my '09 SRT a few years back. I was hoping to transfer it the RE I recently bought. Did a test fit and would not clear the bigger front Brembo's by just a hare. But there's a bit of irony here. Yesterday I removed the rear seat delete from the '09 to put in the RE at a later date and it was determined it saved 48l.bs. Guess what the performance spare and hardware weighed?.....47.5 lbs.!!! So net net it was a wash. If you want the comfort of having a "real" spare and want to keep car same weight, do a rear seat delete. LOL. Just FYI while I had the RE tire /rim off I weighed it. RE rim with stock P Zero (275/40) was right at 57 lbs.

You might be wondering why this became an issue or point of interest on my '09. Short story--- My wife and mother were out a few years ago in her RAV4 and she gets a for real, true blowout. Thank God it was the rear tire. The entire sidewall just disintegrated and shredded.(Dry rot?). I go and change tire. Next day replaced all tires with new B.F.Goodrich rubber. But then I thought "what if I got a blowout, not just a flat?" So I look up spares and found this co. Not cheap (@$300) but fit front and back perfect. They give you a jack but it's sh&*. I bought an OEM Mopar scissor jack off eBay (more money) that worked perfect. Does anyone know if Mopar makes a spare to fit over the huge Brembo's? Would a 300 SRT spare work?

Attachments

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Today I removed the Performance Spare tire (from Performance spare tire co.) I put in my '09 SRT a few years back. I was hoping to transfer it the RE I recently bought. Did a test fit and would not clear the bigger front Brembo's by just a hare. But there's a bit of irony here. Yesterday I removed the rear seat delete from the '09 to put in the RE at a later date and it was determined it saved 48l.bs. Guess what the performance spare and hardware weighed?.....47.5 lbs.!!! So net net it was a wash. If you want the comfort of having a "real" spare and want to keep car same weight, do a rear seat delete. LOL. Just FYI while I had the RE tire /rim off I weighed it. RE rim with stock P Zero (275/40) was right at 57 lbs.

You might be wondering why this became an issue or point of interest on my '09. Short story--- My wife and mother were out a few years ago in her RAV4 and she gets a for real, true blowout. Thank God it was the rear tire. The entire sidewall just disintegrated and shredded.(Dry rot?). I go and change tire. Next day replaced all tires with new B.F.Goodrich rubber. But then I thought "what if I got a blowout, not just a flat?" So I look up spares and found this co. Not cheap (@$300) but fit front and back perfect. They give you a jack but it's sh&*. I bought an OEM Mopar scissor jack off eBay (more money) that worked perfect. Does anyone know if Mopar makes a spare to fit over the huge Brembo's? Would a 300 SRT spare work?
Hell mine didn’t come with a spare tire

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Subwoofers roll very nicely!

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

Ok......I went through some of this spare tire dilemma earlier this year. I decided that I wanted a spare tire more than a giant hunk of styrofoam, I think the tire will roll better when I put it on. I found spare from a 2007 300, jack tire, hold down hardware etc., and all together I paid around $20 for everything. I got everything home and tried the spare on a the rear of my car and it fit with no problems. Move it to the front, and it would not clear my 4 piston Brembo's. So.....back to more research. It seems that a spare from a 2014 and up LX platform car will fit over the 4 piston calipers. The p/n on the spare that I bought was 04782465AA. This spare needs to be used with a spacer on the front.

After more research, this is the p/n for the '14 and up LX spare that is supposed to clear the front brakes and doesn't need the previous spacer . The rim is supposedly stamped a little differently to clear the brakes. I haven't had much luck finding a 2014 and up in my local wrecking yards, but I keep checking.
4895689AA.

Usmc341

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Henderson
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye

I have the spare also (Modern Spare). The Hellcat version comes with a spacer for the front wheels. Actually I don't mind the extra 47lbs because it's over the rear axles. With 700+ ft lbs of torque who's going to notice anyway.

Last edited:
OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #6
Ok......I went through some of this spare tire dilemma earlier this year. I decided that I wanted a spare tire more than a giant hunk of styrofoam, I think the tire will roll better when I put it on. I found spare from a 2007 300, jack tire, hold down hardware etc., and all together I paid around $20 for everything. I got everything home and tried the spare on a the rear of my car and it fit with no problems. Move it to the front, and it would not clear my 4 piston Brembo's. So.....back to more research. It seems that a spare from a 2014 and up LX platform car will fit over the 4 piston calipers. The p/n on the spare that I bought was 04782465AA. This spare needs to be used with a spacer on the front.

After more research, this is the p/n for the '14 and up LX spare that is supposed to clear the front brakes and doesn't need the previous spacer . The rim is supposedly stamped a little differently to clear the brakes. I haven't had much luck finding a 2014 and up in my local wrecking yards, but I keep checking.
4895689AA.
Thanks for the info.

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #7
I have the performance spare also. The Hellcat version comes with a spacer for the front wheels. Actually I don't mind the extra 47lbs because it's over the rear axles. With 700+ ft lbs of torque who's going to notice anyway.
Thanks for the reply. From what your saying, it looks like a new perf. spare kit would be mine with a spacer included, I guess. Not a whole new stamping on the rim.

Last edited:

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Thanks for the reply. From what your saying, it looks like a new perf. spare kit would be mine with a pacer included, I guess. Not a whole new stamping on the rim.
You can also buy the spacer separately. Sorry, I forgot about that. They are about $80, the last time I checked.

Usmc341

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Henderson
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thanks for the reply. From what your saying, it looks like a new perf. spare kit would be mine with a spacer included, I guess. Not a whole new stamping on the rim.
Correct.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Thanks for the info.
I just bought a spare from a 2015 Charger off of Ebay. It has the rim p/n that I mentioned at the end of my other post that is supposed to fit over the bigger front brakes. it should be here by late next week. I'll let you know how it goes.

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #11
I just bought a spare from a 2015 Charger off of Ebay. It has the rim p/n that I mentioned at the end of my other post that is supposed to fit over the bigger front brakes. it should be here by late next week. I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks for the follow up.
I was contemplating buying a 3MM spacer but it's just more hardware clanking around in trunk and one more piece to deal with during breakdown.(But it's a much cheaper option for me since I already have the spare, so that might be the outcome). I'd much rather have the correct size rim. Some guys do the switch, back to front if they have a good rear/ flat front combo, but I don't think most people realize flats happen at the worst times under bad conditions and you just want to get it on and moving down the road. Your not in your perfectly level driveway under controlled conditions just loddy dollying the day away. Let us know!
Again thanks.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Thanks for the follow up.
I was contemplating buying a 3MM spacer but it's just more hardware clanking around in trunk and one more piece to deal with during breakdown.(But it's a much cheaper option for me since I already have the spare, so that might be the outcome). I'd much rather have the correct size rim. Some guys do the switch, back to front if they have a good rear/ flat front combo, but I don't think most people realize flats happen at the worst times under bad conditions and you just want to get it on and moving down the road. Your not in your perfectly level driveway under controlled conditions just loddy dollying the day away. Let us know!
Again thanks.
Agreed on all counts, that's why I tried to find a factory spare that actually worked without spending $300+ to do that, especially since I was able to get everything at my local wrecking yard for so cheap. Unfortunately, the spare wouldn't fit over the front Brembos without a spacer. After talking with several other members with SRT Challengers who's cars came with a factory sprare, they all told me that their cars also came with a spacer that it about 1 inch or so. Those spacers are about $90, which I guess is cheap, but I just don't want to deal with one more item to haul around, or deal with in a situation like you mentioned above. Here are some pics below of the factory rims where you can see the difference in how the rim is built. The first one is the type of spare rim I originally purchased, which won't fit over the front Brembos (this isn't my car just a pic of the rim from the net). The center section with the holes in sunken further into the rim.Take note that it has 18 holes around the perimeter.

s-l1600.jpg

And this is the type I just bought. Notice the difference in the center parts between the two rims (the second rim only has 14 holes around the perimeter), but the important part is the center part is shifter to the outside of the rim which seems to be how they are getting the additional room for the brakes. I was able to find this on Ebay for $65 shipped. I'll take pics and post up results next weekend.

2014 300 spare.jpg

2015 charger spare.jpg

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Can I please get an idea on how wide this tire / rim combo is at its widest? I’m looking for a spare that will both accommodate the HC’s large brakes as well as fit beneath the rear strut tower brace I just installed. Looks like Ive got about 8 inches:
A8BBE5FE-9272-4450-857B-43A7ADB29716.jpeg

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #14
Agreed on all counts, that's why I tried to find a factory spare that actually worked without spending $300+ to do that, especially since I was able to get everything at my local wrecking yard for so cheap. Unfortunately, the spare wouldn't fit over the front Brembos without a spacer. After talking with several other members with SRT Challengers who's cars came with a factory sprare, they all told me that their cars also came with a spacer that it about 1 inch or so. Those spacers are about $90, which I guess is cheap, but I just don't want to deal with one more item to haul around, or deal with in a situation like you mentioned above. Here are some pics below of the factory rims where you can see the difference in how the rim is built. The first one is the type of spare rim I originally purchased, which won't fit over the front Brembos (this isn't my car just a pic of the rim from the net). The center section with the holes in sunken further into the rim.Take note that it has 18 holes around the perimeter.

View attachment 9721

And this is the type I just bought. Notice the difference in the center parts between the two rims (the second rim only has 14 holes around the perimeter), but the important part is the center part is shifter to the outside of the rim which seems to be how they are getting the additional room for the brakes. I was able to find this on Ebay for $65 shipped. I'll take pics and post up results next weekend.

View attachment 9722

View attachment 9723
I didn't know any SRT Challengers came with a spare. I thought only the pump/goop kit. But I did hear that 300 SRT's came with spares. Hope that works . Definitely a deeper offset in the rim.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Am I the only one who is just going to carry an 18" front runner or two as a spare(s)?

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
I’d much prefer a doughnut than that goop crap, which isnt going to do any good in the event of a blowout.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Am I the only one who is just going to carry an 18" front runner or two as a spare(s)?
I'm acutally looking to use two of these as my front runners when I go to the track (after I change the tires of course). This spare rim and tire weighs in at about 32 lbs compared to my factory front rim/tire that weight in at about 60 lbs. This way I only have to bring one additional front tire and then my two rear with me to the track. I know they aren't the prettiest, but they are a lot cheaper than buying dedicated front runners that I will only use several times per year.

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #18
Sorry,
I'm acutally looking to use two of these as my front runners when I go to the track (after I change the tires of course). This spare rim and tire weighs in at about 32 lbs compared to my factory front rim/tire that weight in at about 60 lbs. This way I only have to bring one additional front tire and then my two rear with me to the track. I know they aren't the prettiest, but they are a lot cheaper than buying dedicated front runners that I will only use several times per year.
But if you swap out rubber for speed rated tire would it fit in well? Or am I missing something. I'm known to do that sometimes. LOL.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Can I please get an idea on how wide this tire / rim combo is at its widest? I’m looking for a spare that will both accommodate the HC’s large brakes as well as fit beneath the rear strut tower brace I just installed. Looks like Ive got about 8 inches:
View attachment 9724
I'm supposed to have the spare that I just purchased by the end of next week (says Thursday on the shipping info). When I get it, I'll take the measurements, including weight and post them here for everyone.
The original one that I bought measures about 6 inches wide and 27.5 inches tall. I'm not sure how much the new one that I bought will change from that but the very middle might stick out a bit more. I'll know more when it gets here. I'll keep you posted then.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country