Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Should I change oil for first time yet...?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Youngstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
So I purchased my 19' hellcat last year and due to some unforeseen circumstances, I was not able to drive it much at all. It currently only has 100 miles on it. Reading mixed reviews whether the factory fill oil has any break in oil additives or not. Also, the manual states that oil should be changed at least every 6 mths, regardless of miles. With that said, this oil is the factory fill but is roughly 14 mths old. Should I change it yet, or leave it in until more of the break in miles are racked up?

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Oil doesn't go bad in the crankcase. It can get moisture in it from numerous short trips. A 30 minute drive will burn off any moisture that might be present. If it were my car, I'd take it for a good long drive. Then at around the 500-1000 mile mark I'd change it to remove any wear particles like I do with all my new cars.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Where does it live?

My .02 says environment plays a factor in the answer.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
There is definitely no "beak-in" oil used at the factory, it's just the regular stuff. I would just change it and take away any back of mind thoughts about it, and then GAME ON drive that car!!!

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
At 14 months I would change oil but that is me. No evidence of break in oil or additives from the factory. Now go drive it.

HarleyHetz

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
ARLINGTON
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Sublime Widebody Challenger Hellcat
Totally up to you...the only drawback that I can see in changing it with only 100 miles on it is that you may still have some metal shavings from break in that wind up floating around between now and your next oil change. If you are willing to do that at around 500 or 1000 miles, it's a non issue. Oil is cheap insurance. If you wind up leaving it and not changing it until then, I don't believe you will hurt one single thing, provided of course that you are not taking little short 5 or 10 minute drives in it. If so, change it now and often. When you heat up your motor, then it cools down, condensation builds up inside. If you run it until it is COMPLETELY warmed up, you will "burn off" all of that condensation, if not, it will eventually build up inside of your engine and become encased in the oil. Your oil will take on a milky appearance, if you ever see that, change it immediately!! Best of luck.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I ran my factory fill to 2,200 miles. Has anyone confirmed that FCA changes oil after the Dyno?

OP, consider getting an oil pump extractor and used oil analysis kit from NAPA and test before changing...though I would just change myself at 14 months. I would time the oil change to when I was ready to drive it regularly.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
OP, here is what they look like.

Attachments

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
The real concern is warranty if that matters to you.

FCA has been known to deny engine related warranty claims because of the 6 month maximum, regardless of mileage, wasn't done or you have proof/receipts of it.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
So here is an idea you go buy the oil and filter yourself and keep the receipt like tomorrow. You do not change the oil yet but hit the reset button oil life like tomorrow. Now drive the car 500 miles like in the next month. Then Change the oil and you most likely have removed the loose metals from breaking her in. Do not hit the reset button since you probably will have 80-90 oil life left. Then for sure 6 months from now change the oil and or do the same damn thing buy oil and filter keep the receipt make notes in your owners manual and hit the reset button again and make notes of your oil reset and put a sticker in your windshield of miles. Yeah yeah complicated but if your a really low mileage person you’re just throwing away Good oil for nothing. HELL BMW cars go 15k-20k before their first oil change. And oh yeah the computer tracks the resets and miles,

Beast707

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Carol Stream
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger WB M6 Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I'm anal about oil changes. Did mine at 250, 1000, 2500, 4000, and 5500. I store mine for 6 months a year so at least 2 times a year. Should have stock in Amsoil.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
So I purchased my 19' hellcat last year and due to some unforeseen circumstances, I was not able to drive it much at all. It currently only has 100 miles on it. Reading mixed reviews whether the factory fill oil has any break in oil additives or not. Also, the manual states that oil should be changed at least every 6 mths, regardless of miles. With that said, this oil is the factory fill but is roughly 14 mths old. Should I change it yet, or leave it in until more of the break in miles are racked up?
At 14 months you are way outside the warranty requirements. I would change it. If oil was inside an engine that was started and run and then sat 14 months the oil is bad per the warranty requirements. They have this requirement for a reason.

I was going to fly over to Miami from So California and buy a leftover 19 RedEye . 100% they would have changed the oil before I left that dealership. A lot of people do not think about this, but it's their rules.

My Ram is 15,000 miles or 6 months. It kills me but I change the oil every 6 months and I am rarely anywhere close to that mileage.

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
@PitchBlackCat

Be careful who you listen to on forums. Also know the law. Specifically LAW: 15 U.S.C. §§ 2301-2312, Also known as Magnuson Moss Warranty-Federal Trade Commission Improvements Act:

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title15-chapter50&edition=prelim

So in short (Since you probably wont read this in it's entirety ;)) Oil changes are a recommendation and not a requirement. Any required maintenance would have to be performed by the warrantor at their costs. If for some bizarre reason your oil did go bad...(unlikely) they would have to prove that to deny service. My first oil change on my Cat was done at a year and half. Oil was perfectly fine.

Just protect yourself, always take a sample of your oil and have it analyzed should you have any warranty concerns. A good one is:

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/?se...abs.net/Bstone/(S(vulbpp45dk5qkw55w030ln32))/

The 6 month oil change hype (as well as the ms12633) is nothing more than a strong arm tactic to push uninformed consumers into a bunch of unnecessary maintenance. Oil life is determined by many factors including time.

Also if you don't take anything else away from this thread, remember it's (NEVER) your responsibility to prove anything to a Dealership. The burden of proof is solely on them. If you find yourself in a situation where a Stealership is asking you for receipts or anything similar, run for the hills because you are dealing with a very crooked entity.

You as a consumer never have to prove anything unless in the extremely rare case this kind of situation goes to court. And a Dealership is going to make damn sure they have a 100% winnable case before that happens, because they are responsible for all legal and court cost should they lose.

Hope this helps and here is a Sample of oil analyses performed by Blackstone on my 4th oil change:
1592306000442.png

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
The oil in my oil cooler was 3 years old and had 42000 miles on it... since nobody every drained it :ROFLMAO:

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fishers
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Charger Hellcat
The oil in my oil cooler was 3 years old and had 42000 miles on it... since nobody every drained it :ROFLMAO:
No it wasn't 3 years old... the oil cooler is full flow so it was flushed on every engine run and there was about a quart of old oil that blended with the new oil on engine run after a crankcase change.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fishers
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Charger Hellcat
There have been several threads on oil change intervals. FWIW, many here underestimate the quality of synthetic oils, including dramatically reduced friction everywhere in the motor. I have been following and using synthetics since the '70s when Mobil 1 came out. I ran Mobil 1 for years, even in my Turbo Buick when I had it. I have run several engines on Mobil 1 for 25,000 miles and on the same filter with absolutely zero issues! BTW, the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) did a test decades ago and found that oil filters love synthetics much better than conventional mineral/petroleum based oils. Synthetics just flow better!

Many here say they change oil early to get solids out of the oil. IF there are any significant solids that don't stay in suspension, they sink to the bottom of the pan and are a non-issue. If there are any solids in suspension and flowing with the oil, the oil filter is FULL FLOW and has a micron rating and traps any solids that the human cannot see before the oil goes to the motor. The inside of the motor is much cleaner than you think. After your next oil change, cut the filter can and spread out the pleated filter to see what I mean.

Having said all this, oil and filter companies love owners who change their oil more often than actually needed. I change mine @ 6 mo/6K per factory to keep FCA happy, but could go longer in reality.

Last edited:

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
No it wasn't 3 years old... the oil cooler is full flow so it was flushed on every engine run and there was about a quart of old oil that blended with the new oil on engine run after a crankcase change.
Come on @Blickie ... you know if you don't drain it your motor will pop and your warranty will be revoked. That's common knowledge.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
@PitchBlackCat

Be careful who you listen to on forums. Also know the law. Specifically LAW: 15 U.S.C. §§ 2301-2312, Also known as Magnuson Moss Warranty-Federal Trade Commission Improvements Act:

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title15-chapter50&edition=prelim

So in short (Since you probably wont read this in it's entirety ;)) Oil changes are a recommendation and not a requirement. Any required maintenance would have to be performed by the warrantor at their costs. If for some bizarre reason your oil did go bad...(unlikely) they would have to prove that to deny service. My first oil change on my Cat was done at a year and half. Oil was perfectly fine.

Just protect yourself, always take a sample of your oil and have it analyzed should you have any warranty concerns. A good one is:

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/?session-id=vulbpp45dk5qkw55w030ln32&timeout=20&bslauth&urlbase=https://www.blackstone-labs.net/Bstone/(S(vulbpp45dk5qkw55w030ln32))/

The 6 month oil change hype (as well as the ms12633) is nothing more than a strong arm tactic to push uninformed consumers into a bunch of unnecessary maintenance. Oil life is determined by many factors including time.

Also if you don't take anything else away from this thread, remember it's (NEVER) your responsibility to prove anything to a Dealership. The burden of proof is solely on them. If you find yourself in a situation where a Stealership is asking you for receipts or anything similar, run for the hills because you are dealing with a very crooked entity.

You as a consumer never have to prove anything unless in the extremely rare case this kind of situation goes to court. And a Dealership is going to make damn sure they have a 100% winnable case before that happens, because they are responsible for all legal and court cost should they lose.

Hope this helps and here is a Sample of oil analyses performed by Blackstone on my 4th oil change:
View attachment 18747
OK, so lets say my engine blows up. The dealers says it's because the oil was bad and will not replace it. So, I say "prove it" as you suggest. Then the car sits there until they sell it to a junk yard for storage fees. Because they refuse to fix it. Or I have to get an attorny etc etc etc. It's much easier to just do some common sense maintinance. You yourself said that time is a factor in determining the life of oil. Last time I checked no one was offering to pay my attorney fees up front until we win this for sure case.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
There have been several threads on oil change intervals. FWIW, many here underestimate the quality of synthetic oils, including dramatically reduced friction everywhere in the motor. I have been following and using synthetics since the '70s when Mobil 1 came out. I ran Mobil 1 for years, even in my Turbo Buick when I had it. I have run several engines on Mobil 1 for 25,000 miles and on the same filter with absolutely zero issues! BTW, the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) did a test decades ago and found that oil filters love synthetics much better than conventional mineral/petroleum based oils. Synthetics just flow better!

Many here say they change oil early to get solids out of the oil. IF there are any significant solids that don't stay in suspension, they sink to the bottom of the pan and are a non-issue. If there are any solids in suspension and flowing with the oil, the oil filter is FULL FLOW and has a micron rating and traps any solids that the human cannot see before the oil goes to the motor. The inside of the motor is much cleaner than you think. After your next oil change, cut the filter can and spread out the pleated filter to see what I mean.

Having said all this, oil and filter companies love owners who change their oil more often than actually needed. I change mine @ 6 mo/6K per factory to keep FCA happy, but could go longer in reality.
I am in agreement. My Demon had 2600 miles and probably 150 passes at the drag strip when I hit 6 months and did my first oil change. SO I would never change it early or for good measure so to speak any more. But I would never go much past that 6 months even if I only had 100 miles on it. Now, I will define this. If the car sat 10 years I would put fresh oil in it before I drove it much or raced it. But if I just needed to move it from one Barn to the other Barn I would probably not change the oil.