Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Snow Tires

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Not Hellcat specific but I figured someone on here is driving a rwd car around in the Winter time so seemed like a good place to ask.

Going to drive my BMW through its first Winter here in Salt Lake City. Still thinking about getting rid of it and getting a truck but prices and inventory kind of suck right now, so I'm planning to drive this for a year or so.

Any recommendations? Going to be driving down to Vegas once a month as well, so would like something that performs well in snow and is quiet/comfortable if able.

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
Michelin x-ice snow, they were a brand new model this past season. I have them on a 5.7 hemi Magnum and another fwd car.

Really nice snow/ice tires and they reviewed with top marks.

note that they are uni-directional.

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Not Hellcat specific but I figured someone on here is driving a rwd car around in the Winter time so seemed like a good place to ask.

Going to drive my BMW through its first Winter here in Salt Lake City. Still thinking about getting rid of it and getting a truck but prices and inventory kind of suck right now, so I'm planning to drive this for a year or so.

Any recommendations? Going to be driving down to Vegas once a month as well, so would like something that performs well in snow and is quiet/comfortable if able.

Back when I only had a rwd car, I never solved the problem.

In the sense that All-seasons we're just ok for light/plowed snow, but wouldn't get through anything substantial, and true snow tires sucked at everything else but snow, and didn't last very long either.

Blizzacks (sp?) came out after I got my truck, but I always wanted to try those.

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
Michelin X ice, or bridgestone blizzaks are EXCELLENT in my experience!

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #5
Back when I only had a rwd car, I never solved the problem.

In the sense that All-seasons we're just ok for light/plowed snow, but wouldn't get through anything substantial, and true snow tires sucked at everything else but snow, and didn't last very long either.

Blizzacks (sp?) came out after I got my truck, but I always wanted to try those.
We have the Jeep for when things get thick but for 95% of the time I think my car will do just fine if I put a good tire on it. If I wasn't making the trip to Vegas, I'd probably just throw good all seasons on but since I'll be on venturing out of the local area I figured I'd give snow tires a shot.

I put them on my wife's old Honda CRV (AWD) in MN a few years back and that thing was like a go kart in the snow!

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I have had the best luck with Cooper. The new ones are called evolution. I had a couple of sets of blizzaks wasn't impressed with either on different cars too

1632938080706.png

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
State
OR
Country
United States
I have had the best luck with Cooper. The new ones are called evolution. I had a couple of sets of blizzaks wasn't impressed with either on different cars too

View attachment 54552

Never tried those, good to know that you tried them, and liked them.
How are they wearing?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Never tried those, good to know that you tried them, and liked them.
How are they wearing?
3 winters on the challenger and still have plenty of tread

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
3 winters of challenges and still have plenty of tread since they don‘t catch😁

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)

How much snow you get there in SLC? What elevation?

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #11
How much snow you get there in SLC? What elevation?
No idea how much they actually get here in the city area but I won't be commuting up in the mountains in this car at all.

I-15 down to Vegas can get some decent weather just South of the city if I remember correctly. Other than that just daily driving on the North side of the city up to the base in Ogden.

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
Over too many years to admit too, I have had many snow/winter tires. After trying Bridgestone Blizzak tires I never used any others.
One night on my way to work, I came up on a turned over pup trailer blocking the highway, I stopped to set out flares and assist. As I stepped out of my car I almost fell on my butt, there was ice all over the road that I didn't even notice while driving, the tires are that good.

The SLC area is at 4500 give or take. Snow fall varies from very little to "Oh my Hell". Sometimes the plows can't keep up with it.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #13
Over too many years to admit too, I have had many snow/winter tires. After trying Bridgestone Blizzak tires I never used any others.
One night on my way to work, I came up on a turned over pup trailer blocking the highway, I stopped to set out flares and assist. As I stepped out of my car I almost fell on my butt, there was ice all over the road that I didn't even notice while driving, the tires are that good.

The SLC area is at 4500 give or take. Snow fall varies from very little to "Oh my Hell". Sometimes the plows can't keep up with it.
Crazy to want to drive a RWD car with snow tires during the Winter or should I just go buy another vehicle?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Long, LONG, ago we were driving from New Mexico back into Texas and this was the first winter storm (of many in this same stretch over the years) that was a monster. Ice and snow all over, but not super deep. Lit like twilight in the middle of the freaking day, nearly zero other traffic. Way before cell phones or even the massive adoption of citizens band radio (though we had one). And this land is empty; really empty then. Anyway after hours of driving 45-50 and seeing only a few other cars on the road, we come upon a tractor trailer way the hell off the road, having taken the barbed wire fence with him at least 100 yards off the highway. Truck was upright at least. Slowed down and got him on the radio, he said he was good, but to ask the Rip Griifin Truck Stop in Big Spring, 40 or more miles away, to send him out some Sterno. About 20 miles or so later, my mother had been driving and wanted to switch with my dad. Stopped in the middle of the road (no traffic) and opened the doors and got out and just about fell flat. They had to use the rack on the roof to hold on to to make it from one side to the other. No choice but to keep driving.

Ya'll watch it out there in Utah.

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
Crazy to want to drive a RWD car with snow tires during the Winter or should I just go buy another vehicle?
Not at all. RWD is all I have ever driven here year round. However, with dedicated winter tires. I think with the Blizzak tires I could go as good as many 4WD/All WD vehicles that had all season tires. And, as I had them on the front as well, I could stop better than the 4 wheel drive vehicles.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #16
Not at all. RWD is all I have ever driven here year round. However, with dedicated winter tires. I think with the Blizzak tires I could go as good as many 4WD/All WD vehicles that had all season tires. And, as I had them on the front as well, I could stop better than the 4 wheel drive vehicles.
Perfect. Yeah I'll be putting them on all 4 corners and plan on buying a 2nd set of wheels in the spring to put some PS4S tires on, that way I can just swap them at my convenience.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Perfect. Yeah I'll be putting them on all 4 corners and plan on buying a 2nd set of wheels in the spring to put some PS4S tires on, that way I can just swap them at my convenience.
that is what I have been doing for many years. Everyone has what snow tire they like but either way, they will be way better then not having them

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Nokian Hakapalitta would be my first choice.
That being said my buddy owns a tire shop and he sold me on the new Continental Ice for my Ram and my mother's Grand Caravan.
He found no difference to the Nokian.
I use the Blizzaks on my 300 AWD. According to my buddy they are a slightly lesser tire.
Up untill the last 4yrs I pretty much had only RWD cars and I found its best to get a real good winter tire like any of the 2
I mentioned. Likely all 3 but I have yet to try out the Conti to vouch for them myself.
I have no reason to doubt my buddy though.

One thing you can do is try to get a tire thinner than the ones for summer. They work better in snow than a wider tire.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Damn we gotta a ”city slicker” here among us😁

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
State
OR
Country
United States
F16 i have driven numerous rwd cars in the winter, its not a problem until the snow is too deep for your ground clearance. X ice and blizzaks both did excellent for me.