Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

SO WHY NOT ME ?

Member ID
Reactions
City
arcadia
State
FL
Country
Canada
Vehicle
dodge redeye
Greeting from the worlds slowest red eye.
I just took the Red I Kat back to the track (Bradenton Fl.). After having a hell of a time ( pun intended) getting the right cat replaced.
I also put on the skinny front M&H s and the Nitto 315/ 20 DR s.
My best time was 1.811 for the 60 foot and 11.256 for the 1/4 mile @123.17.
Now I see and have been witnessing a bunch of guys on the forum who are in the low 10s with supposedly box stock red eyes like mine!
Obviously I'm doing something DRASTICALLY wrong here. The car launches great then appears to bog a little between 1st and 2nd then breaks the traps at 6000 rpm in I believe 5th. I'm using all the right settings and power breaking to 2000 rpms (give or take) after a substantial burn out.
So why not me? What am I missing or doing wrong? Is it possible I just really DO have the worlds slowest red eye?
Linda has offered suggestions in the past, but there something more for others to be in the low to mid 10s with a stock red eye.
So anyone PLEASE throw an old man a bone, and share the magic of how you guys have paired a 1/2 second.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
LOL You just need seat time. :)
Bradenton has lots of fellow Hellcat owners. Get together everyone likes to help.
You will be OK in no time!

Happy Valentines Weekend!
Linda :)

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
Time slip and launch technique?

OP
B
Member ID
Reactions
City
arcadia
State
FL
Country
Canada
Vehicle
dodge redeye
Thread Starter #4
LOL You just need seat time. :)
Bradenton has lots of fellow Hellcat owners. Get together everyone likes to help.
You will be OK in no time!

Happy Valentines Weekend!
Right back at you Linda, and thanks but 1/2 to 3/4 of a second will Probably take more seat time than I have left @74 LOL.
I'm hard headed so I'll keep on working at it. I did here the resetting the ecm back to stock by pulling the # 31 fuse might help??
Your suggestion are always appreciated.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Dongola
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2006 F250 Super Duty, 1996 F150
Right back at you Linda, and thanks but 1/2 to 3/4 of a second will Probably take more seat time than I have left @74 LOL.
I'm hard headed so I'll keep on working at it. I did here the resetting the ecm back to stock by pulling the # 31 fuse might help??
Your suggestion are always appreciated.
Keep at it and you will improve fast.

God bless, Happy Valentine’s Day.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Welcome Bill. Any pictures by chance? Lots of good info on here.

OP
B
Member ID
Reactions
City
arcadia
State
FL
Country
Canada
Vehicle
dodge redeye
Thread Starter #7
Time slip and launch technique?
Not sure how to post time slip, but I'm not using launch control, just power braking to 1800 to 2000 and flooring it. Not getting excessive wheel spin, but I do feel it bogging a little. ( might just be me) The 315/20 nittos are inflated at 20 pounds, and the car has pulled a min wheel stand on the fresh prepped track.

John G.

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
Brake torquing to 2000 sounds like a lot to me, especially since you're flooring it; I can't brake torque mine or floor it with 275 555Rs and I only have 707 hp. It shouldn't be bogging, unless the traction control is kicking in.

Also, what was your DA?

Keep in mind a lot of guys will say they're stock when they're not.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Launch from idle. You’re blasting the tires off which is why you’re cutting a 1.8 instead of a low 1.6 or 1.5. Your trap speed makes me think that the wheel spin is causing the traction control to kick on - or something - because you should be 5-6mph faster than that, and that could be the bogging sensation you’re experiencing because supercharged HEMIs DONT BOG! :cool:
Your 1/8mi probably a 7.2@96 or thereabouts?

You have a 315 Nitto on a 20” wheel, but how wide is your wheel? If it isn’t 11-12”, that’s not helping - even at just 20psi. You’re better off on a 275 than a 315 on a stock wheel, unless it’s a widebody, then a 305 would suffice I think.
Anyway, launch from idle with some throttle tip-in before WOT and before 2nd gear, and those 2 things alone will get you 10s.

Demon1

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Naples
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
Not sure how to post time slip, but I'm not using launch control, just power braking to 1800 to 2000 and flooring it. Not getting excessive wheel spin, but I do feel it bogging a little. ( might just be me) The 315/20 nittos are inflated at 20 pounds, and the car has pulled a min wheel stand on the fresh prepped track.
Sign up for Marc Heidings’ private track rental at Bradenton next Saturday and Sunday. I’ll be there and I know several other Demons and Hellcats will be there too. Most have a good history of racing and will be happy to help. It’s $200/day to attend the private rental.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Like Jack stated, it sounds like TC is kicking in. Also that rpm at launch sounds too high.
I would reset and start over.
You can leave very easy with a RE and run a 10.xx.
I would use my settings to start.
Traction in sport
Trans in track or sport
Suspension in street.

Try leaving at about 1000 to 1200 and roll into the throttle steadily so you are floored about the 1-2 shift. Then you can get into the throttle quicker if traction permits.
It is easier to slowly get more aggressive to get where you want to be. Versus being way too aggressive and trying to calm down slowly.
Good luck and have fun.
Btw some of the faster cars are really stock.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Sign up for Marc Heidings’ private track rental at Bradenton next Saturday and Sunday. I’ll be there and I know several other Demons and Hellcats will be there too. Most have a good history of racing and will be happy to help. It’s $200/day to attend the private rental.
I so wish I could go to just hang around with you guys down there.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
There’s an nice invitation for some help. Two days to dial it in. Let one of those 10.1 second guys make a pass in it to see what it can do...or not. Hope you guys have great weather!

sad

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bartlesville
State
OK
Country
United States
You don't have the slowest Redeye....

Your Redeye has the slowest driver!!

LOL

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Take Demon1's advice. Those guys will steer you in the right direction.

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
Since you didn't specify - are you putting the car in either "Sport" or "Track" mode before making a pass? Try leaving at 1000-1200rpm and work your way up if your 60' times keep improving with more RPM. Pull up your AFR gauge on your dash as well and try to keep an eye on that. If your Cat Overtemp(COT) kicks in the car will go rich and slow you down noticeably.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Keep at it and you will improve fast.

God bless, Happy Valentine’s Day.
Thank You!

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Greeting from the worlds slowest red eye.
I just took the Red I Kat back to the track (Bradenton Fl.). After having a hell of a time ( pun intended) getting the right cat replaced.
I also put on the skinny front M&H s and the Nitto 315/ 20 DR s.
My best time was 1.811 for the 60 foot and 11.256 for the 1/4 mile @123.17.
Now I see and have been witnessing a bunch of guys on the forum who are in the low 10s with supposedly box stock red eyes like mine!
Obviously I'm doing something DRASTICALLY wrong here. The car launches great then appears to bog a little between 1st and 2nd then breaks the traps at 6000 rpm in I believe 5th. I'm using all the right settings and power breaking to 2000 rpms (give or take) after a substantial burn out.
So why not me? What am I missing or doing wrong? Is it possible I just really DO have the worlds slowest red eye?
Linda has offered suggestions in the past, but there something more for others to be in the low to mid 10s with a stock red eye.
So anyone PLEASE throw an old man a bone, and share the magic of how you guys have paired a 1/2 second.
Good morning Bill,

Your 60 ft tells the story the bogging you are feeling between 1st and 2nd is wheel spin. The Trans shifts through the gears pretty quick.

I have seen the Redeye can run an ET of 10.8.that should be doable. I have an HC Charger and my best OEM ET was a 10.8. I was lucky back then my husband (RIP) took me to the track quite often.
Lucky you the Redeye has a line lock!
Nittos love a BIG ole smokey burnout. They love to be heated. A good PSI to start at is 20. IF you are not hooking go down one or up 1 psi at a time.

Do you have 309 or 262 gears?

Trans in Track mode
Paddles off you want to have the Trans shift on it's own......you probably know that :)
Traction in Track
Suspension in Street this helps enabling the transfer of weight to the rear, helps with the "Squat" The rear is literally a PITA ( Pain In The A$$)
Traction switch it to track mode. This leaves stability control on.

Staging Just flicker the the Double bulb on.

Now launching is back to the PITA Rear and takes finessing

Try bringing the RPMs up to about 1000 just enough to know the fuel is there.
This is the part that is hard not to over think. So practice in your mind to make it easier.
You have your RPMS Up you will Launch probably when you see the last Orange light then the Finessing.

Its a Tap and smash to the floor. The Tap part is where the hooking happens and the gear will shift the smashing will get your 60 ft down.
This takes seat time.

Go to the Track Rental for sure you will have a BLAST!

Demon1

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Naples
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
I so wish I could go to just hang around with you guys down there.
You need a vacation from that cold. Come on down!

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
You’re getting some good info to consider. Hellcats have always had a problem getting off the line at the track. It’s the nature of the beast. That’s why we’ve all suffered thru the Utube videos of them getting beat by every underpowered POS you can imagine. A lot of that is inexperienced drivers that don’t understand what they need to do. The other part just comes down to tires that are not capable of doing the job. That will include any tire on a 20” wheel. The mid to low 10 second passes you are seeing are usually getting done with a more serious drag tire like the M/T-R drag radial on a 17 or 18 inch wheel. Put some of those on there and you’ll knock .3 seconds off that 60 ft. That will be worth 4 to 5 tenths at the end of the track. Another thing.... your mph is down. The most likely reason for that is the computer is pulling timing. There are a number of things that can cause that. Your PCM is a nanny. She is watching over everything and will do what is necessary to keep all the parts safe. If your fuel is a little low on octane, back comes the timing. Make sure you’ve got the highest octane fuel you can get in there for the track. Add some booster to see if that helps. Also.... learn how to use the chiller to get your IC coolant temps down before a pass. If your IAT goes beyond a set point during your run.... back comes the timing and your mph will be less that it could be. Success at the track is not only getting a feel for the car but also understanding what’s at play and making sure it’s working for you.