Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Solved.... carrying tires on a flatbed trailer INBOUND MOUNTED!

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
This year I have been on the road twice. We believe the Grand Cherokee blew its air suspension out on the way to Oklahoma because we flat loaded everything nearly including the “kitchen sink” including two big guys into the Jeep, then expected it to tow at least 6000 lb. That payload in the Jeep included four spare wheels/tires. Okay, going over to Wisconsin I distributed the load back to the car and basically strapped the four wheels/tires on the trailer. Well, that worked, but the strapping operation was not nearly as straightforward as four motorcycles! It wore me out and simply took too long to accomplish. We could make a cage in the front of the trailer. We might next year, but for now, I needed a budget fix fast. I need to load it tomorrow night again.

So sorry, if you don’t read above, here is your solution.p:

Rigid Hitch; Burnsville, MN - the mount made for little spare tires using the stake holes on the trailer.

You need to be able to mount big wide tires. So I ordered a set of 1 1/2” wheel spacers!

That seemed okay, until you consider hanging them to the outside results in a Wide Load. No, no, don’t need to do that. Here is where you are on your own, but the solution is easy for anyone who can work steel. I put the car on the trailer. Trial fit where the tires will fit. I measured the difference in height necessary, because turning them will require raising the mount. The front is more tricky. You need to use the absolute last hole to clear the front bumper, but it holds the wheel up over the trailer rail.

Phoned a friend who is in the business of steel fab, & welding among other things I need for business. It was easy work for them using 1/8” thick steel and good welding, which they are known for usually doing pipework. We simply made some “adapters”!

Tomorrow night will be a breeze getting ready for the short trip to Baxter, MN for Mondays’ lapping exercises! I’ll post up some of the loaded pictures then.

A455D526-059A-46D7-B941-55B2215529C9.jpeg 8611564D-5801-4E82-B1C6-BB9B88B7A10D.jpeg

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
My 2018 Jeep GC TrailHawk has a towing capacity of 7,500 lbs. Having the correct tire pressures for the load is important.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
This year I have been on the road twice. We believe the Grand Cherokee blew its air suspension out on the way to Oklahoma because we flat loaded everything nearly including the “kitchen sink” including two big guys into the Jeep, then expected it to tow at least 6000 lb. That payload in the Jeep included four spare wheels/tires. Okay, going over to Wisconsin I distributed the load back to the car and basically strapped the four wheels/tires on the trailer. Well, that worked, but the strapping operation was not nearly as straightforward as four motorcycles! It wore me out and simply took too long to accomplish. We could make a cage in the front of the trailer. We might next year, but for now, I needed a budget fix fast. I need to load it tomorrow night again.

So sorry, if you don’t read above, here is your solution.p:

Rigid Hitch; Burnsville, MN - the mount made for little spare tires using the stake holes on the trailer.

You need to be able to mount big wide tires. So I ordered a set of 1 1/2” wheel spacers!

That seemed okay, until you consider hanging them to the outside results in a Wide Load. No, no, don’t need to do that. Here is where you are on your own, but the solution is easy for anyone who can work steel. I put the car on the trailer. Trial fit where the tires will fit. I measured the difference in height necessary, because turning them will require raising the mount. The front is more tricky. You need to use the absolute last hole to clear the front bumper, but it holds the wheel up over the trailer rail.

Phoned a friend who is in the business of steel fab, & welding among other things I need for business. It was easy work for them using 1/8” thick steel and good welding, which they are known for usually doing pipework. We simply made some “adapters”!

Tomorrow night will be a breeze getting ready for the short trip to Baxter, MN for Mondays’ lapping exercises! I’ll post up some of the loaded pictures then.

View attachment 19006 View attachment 19007
I did something similar on my car trailer, but I had the tire mounts attached to the front fence rail across the front. I had plenty of room in front of the car because I would center the car over the axles, if not a little more toward the rear for cg purposes. Your idea is better I think because you can move them around.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
I did something similar on my car trailer, but I had the tire mounts attached to the front fence rail across the front. I had plenty of room in front of the car because I would center the car over the axles, if not a little more toward the rear for cg purposes. Your idea is better I think because you can move them around.
I could except for the Challenger is suck a big boat! Using a 20’ and there is room behind for the two, but that front has to ride all the way forward to clear my front bumper. Got one wheel/tire not attached, but that part is easy now. Hell the car can carry it and the jack in its trunk area.

My 2018 Jeep GC TrailHawk has a towing capacity of 7,500 lbs. Having the correct tire pressures for the load is important.
So that part was not significant in the failure, but yes important. We figure we had about a 1000 lbs IN the Jeep including ourselves, plus the tongue weight, so one of the rear bags was either defective or cried Uncle. Now I have everything but the light personal stuff on the trailer or in the Challenger and over the trailer suspension where it belongs. Plus this minimizes the tie down process, that was crazy.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I could except for the Challenger is suck a big boat! Using a 20’ and there is room behind for the two, but that front has to ride all the way forward to clear my front bumper. Got one wheel/tire not attached, but that part is easy now. Hell the car can carry it and the jack in its trunk area.

So that part was not significant in the failure, but yes important. We figure we had about a 1000 lbs IN the Jeep including ourselves, plus the tongue weight, so one of the rear bags was either defective or cried Uncle. Now I have everything but the light personal stuff on the trailer or in the Challenger and over the trailer suspension where it belongs. Plus this minimizes the tie down process, that was crazy.
Yeah, my Dart is short enough and the trailer long enough that I can get away with it.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
So you're mounting up the Michelin tires to the car and bringing the Toyos as spares? I'm just not sure why you have to mount any tires to the trailer.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
So you're mounting up the Michelin tires to the car and bringing the Toyos as spares? I'm just not sure why you have to mount any tires to the trailer.
Because I may have to run the damn threads off the Cup 2’s to keep up with you! I think the Michelin’s will survive the day, but I will admit two new fronts are in my shed. I am returning next Monday for a school day.

If everything works, I do want to mount the Toyo’s up in the afternoon and use them up. I want to make those wheels not black and then mount the Pirelli tires back up for some street use and then to carry for rain day options if necessary in the future.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
@DGatzby and I had some good fun out there today. Some Vettes passed us and we passed some Vettes but neither of us broke and we came home tired but happy. More stories to come I'm sure.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
@DGatzby and I had some good fun out there today. Some Vettes passed us and we passed some Vettes but neither of us broke and we came home tired but happy. More stories to come I'm sure.

You have until the weekend to post video.

:)

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
You have until the weekend to post video.

:)
I burned up my Go Pro I had mounted on the rear tow hook. It seized up on a screen that said "Too Hot! Shutting Down!" and just stayed there until the battery drained. I had just started trying that location because it was a cool rear view shot and the exhaust sound was great to mix in.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I burned up my Go Pro I had mounted on the rear tow hook. It seized up on a screen that said "Too Hot! Shutting Down!" and just stayed there until the battery drained. I had just started trying that location because it was a cool rear view shot and the exhaust sound was great to mix in.

Tow hook centered on the rear plate location???!!!

Too hot??

How?

What?

Why?

I swear, GoPros are way too sensitive to heat, it seems that if you're not skiing in 30F air, they shutdown from heat.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
I just sent GoPro “feedback” on their app and equipment. I can’t get my Hero 3 to sync with their app unless I go in, try, reverse out and ask it to control again. Then after it would not load ANY of yesterday’s videos directly from the camera to its own app, I had enough! Sent them “feedback”.

Don’t even begin to ask my what I think of Harry’s Track App. It failed several times yesterday. Fail, fail, fail AND most annoying; standing still at BIR or RA it starts recording laps when I try looking at the limited number of laps/sessions it does record. Then when we grid, when you think everything is set up and ready. NOT. Several sessions that were entertaining, I don’t have squat. This off season one of my upgrades will be to can Harry’s app AND my GoPro, they BOTH SUCK! But, @BULL I did manage to compile a few good laps that I can share later this week. Thanks for the deadline.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I just sent GoPro “feedback” on their app and equipment. I can’t get my Hero 3 to sync with their app unless I go in, try, reverse out and ask it to control again. Then after it would not load ANY of yesterday’s videos directly from the camera to its own app, I had enough! Sent them “feedback”.

Don’t even begin to ask my what I think of Harry’s Track App. It failed several times yesterday. Fail, fail, fail AND most annoying; standing still at BIR or RA it starts recording laps when I try looking at the limited number of laps/sessions it does record. Then when we grid, when you think everything is set up and ready. NOT. Several sessions that were entertaining, I don’t have squat. This off season one of my upgrades will be to can Harry’s app AND my GoPro, they BOTH SUCK! But, @BULL I did manage to compile a few good laps that I can share later this week. Thanks for the deadline.
Check out DJI OSMO cameras.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
They have some good hardware, but they are Chinese and cannot be trusted. Be aware, DJI with respect to drones and their cameras/software are nearly criminal and cannot be used on any government property FYI. They will upload all your movies/pictures anytime you plug in a drone to get their approval AFTER you already have FAA approval for flight! I have been round and round with them (their customer service) and their geo-fence update RUINING some of our drones. They are very unreasonable. So I really cannot give DJI a penny. We have (our Company) spent $thousands on other drones, because we will never plug a drone into the internet to get China to concur that we can fly a drone we have already paid them for, so they can suck up information and video from the USA. We do critical infrastructure construction and they don’t need any further info or data from the USA.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
They have some good hardware, but they are Chinese and cannot be trusted. Be aware, DJI with respect to drones and their cameras/software are nearly criminal and cannot be used on any government property FYI. They will upload all your movies/pictures anytime you plug in a drone to get their approval AFTER you already have FAA approval for flight! I have been round and round with them (their customer service) and their geo-fence update RUINING some of our drones. They are very unreasonable. So I really cannot give DJI a penny. We have (our Company) spent $thousands on other drones, because we will never plug a drone into the internet to get China to concur that we can fly a drone we have already paid them for, so they can suck up information and video from the USA. We do critical infrastructure construction and they don’t need any further info or data from the USA.
I'm getting ready to take the test for my Commercial drone license. My company has a few of the DJI drones but for the reasons you stated, they don't plug them into the net either, and the computers that the software is on cannot be connected to the company networks (critical infrastructure reasons as well).

The cameras are really nice though. Unfortunately this Country sold it's industrial base years ago and our tech along with it. I cannot for the life of me believe that we allowed some of our top tech military suppliers to move their manufacturing to China just to make a few more pennies on stock price. If the Chinese ever do us in, we will have no one to blame but ourselves.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
Tow hook centered on the rear plate location???!!!

Too hot??

I swear, GoPros are way too sensitive to heat, it seems that if you're not skiing in 30F air, they shutdown from heat.
Yes, the ZL1 Addons rear tow hook mount they sell. It shut off once at Road America too but I just thought maybe we didn't hit the record button properly. This time though, it seized up so I could see why it likely shut down at Road America too.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Yes, the ZL1 Addons rear tow hook mount they sell. It shut off once at Road America too but I just thought maybe we didn't hit the record button properly. This time though, it seized up so I could see why it likely shut down at Road America too.

Yeah, but it's not like the various plastics back there are dripping down on the pavement...

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
I'm getting ready to take the test for my Commercial drone license. My company has a few of the DJI drones but for the reasons you stated, they don't plug them into the net either, and the computers that the software is on cannot be connected to the company networks (critical infrastructure reasons as well).

The cameras are really nice though. Unfortunately this Country sold it's industrial base years ago and our tech along with it. I cannot for the life of me believe that we allowed some of our top tech military suppliers to move their manufacturing to China just to make a few more pennies on stock price. If the Chinese ever do us in, we will have no one to blame but ourselves.
no one allowed it per say, some precious metals just arent found in the U.S.

i would be more concerned with the ip theft from our defense contractors more than anything else

Last edited:

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
no one allowed it per say, some precious metals just arent found in the U.S.

i would be more concerned with the ip theft from our defense contractors more than anything else
Yeah, but before the collapse of the Soviet empire, we wouldn't allow any of our defense related tech to be built in a Communist country, for National Security reasons. After that, all sorts of electronics companies moved to China and took the tech with them. China no longer had to try to spy on our advances, we were paying them to build them. What did we think was going to happen?

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20

Cool, I have done one re-up already myself. Usually, I just get the FAA approvals and watch others fly around and take videos. I can’t race them and they don’t burn rubber. So I get bored. Seriously the folks at Homeland Security which I have talked to and met a few times, really, really do not like their software at all. We have one nice Phantom 4 Pro I am taking to one of our “younger” smarter guys today because it is worthless right now because it was plugged in once. Now that we keep answering “ignore” to their requests to keep plugging it in, the camera won’t function! Piece of shit.

Good thing this is my thread huh?

Back to the car..... I am taking to the friendly dealer today not because I need Dodge, but they have a guy or two almost my age that are really good. We need to put it in an alignment rack and double check the caster and toe readings now with the camber changed to racing settings. Seems with the wide tires we have the problem described by some as the death wobble. It is really attempting to rotate those big rear Cup 2’s until they get red hot and it wants to dart between those rears. I did not like it at all going up the BIR straight reaching speeds where most would have just said if you let it do that again, let me out, now! Yep, I can say when that happens, if you keep your foot into it, the wobble gets bigger and quicker! Damn entertaining at over 125 mph with concrete walls on each side. The Redeye has torque to give away I’ll tell everyone,

@TrackDay I think I watched video coming out of #3 ten times. Every time I can see the car actually shift right and left! That is one of the places where I like to watch the distance a Hellcat can put on the others. I could not take advantage of that, at that place and lots of other spots at all Monday. I bet you have some video for a couple laps where we can see it in a few places when you were following?? No wonder there is no wear on the rears, it was attempting to rotate them, but the wobble had me cutting power all over the place!