Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Something I don't like about high powered cars

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I experienced today something I really dislike about high powered cars (and always have). I can be just driving comparatively spiritedly, having just a little fun, but because of the cars power (and sound) everyone thinks you're WOT or otherwise acting the fool. I can be at 3/5 or 3/4 and Vin Diesel or Johnny GT Mustang thinks you're WOT throttle and throwing down the gauntlet.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
I experienced today something I really dislike about high powered cars (and always have). I can be just driving comparatively spiritedly, having just a little fun, but because of the cars power (and sound) everyone thinks you're WOT or otherwise acting the fool. I can be at 3/5 or 3/4 and Vin Diesel or Johnny GT Mustang thinks you're WOT throttle and throwing down the gauntlet.
Precisely why I drive my A8 in M mode. If I want to drive “spiritedly” but not full w/o, it won’t downshift and scream bloody murder. Just accelerates smoothly and goes about the job without all the drama. I’ve found this method to be the ticket without getting one or looking like that guy in the green Hellcat in the Allstate commercial. “You wanna go bro?!?”

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
Precisely why I drive my A8 in M mode. If I want to drive “spiritedly” but not full w/o, it won’t downshift and scream bloody murder. Just accelerates smoothly and goes about the job without all the drama. I’ve found this method to be the ticket without getting one or looking like that guy in the green Hellcat in the Allstate commercial. “You wanna go bro?!?
This.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I just be like Billy mays...

BUT WAIT. THERE'S MORE!

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Guy in an R/T Charger on way to work earlier this week thought he smoked my cat. I was leaving a red light, he was next to me, next I heard him go WOT and take off. 2:45 am. Yea, I will try you... Not!

LonestarHellcat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Guy in an R/T Charger on way to work earlier this week thought he smoked my cat. I was leaving a red light, he was next to me, next I heard him go WOT and take off. 2:45 am. Yea, I will try you... Not!
Good move, never know these days if they’re cops

WildCat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kakastan
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat
Good move, never know these days if they’re cops
^110% this.
WA State trooper "aggressive driving unit" are currently running light blue/grey metalic (not factory paint) dodge chargers, tinted windows, lowered with black aftermarket wheels. Used soley to bait drivers into racing or otherwise unlawful activity, then a marked unit swoops in. I had one rip on on me out of no where, then follow me "tight" for about 8-9 miles last week.
Nope. No dice here, as I got the facebook alert last month from my local hellcat group.

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
^110% this.
WA State trooper "aggressive driving unit" are currently running light blue/grey metalic (not factory paint) dodge chargers, tinted windows, lowered with black aftermarket wheels. Used soley to bait drivers into racing or otherwise unlawful activity, then a marked unit swoops in. I had one rip on on me out of no where, then follow me "tight" for about 8-9 miles last week.
Nope. No dice here, as I got the facebook alert last month from my local hellcat group.
Good to know!

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
^110% this.
How is that a good use of tax dollars?

I had some D-bag in an Acura CUV on DUBs tailgate me in my wagon this morning for miles. First chance he had to "blow past" me - he did. I guess there was something to prove to the raunchy ol' station wagon.

Saw a Pro Street first gen Camaro and he just minded his own business.

Last edited:

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
@Magnified how would that work out in front of the right judge? Lots of analogies can be drawn up.

Can a nark smoke a joint, hand it to you then bust you and not be guilty themselves? Can a lady actually go thru the act with you, then arrest you but allow themselves to walk? So can another break the law, either break the speed limit, and engage in a race, then arrest you and walk? Damn it, is it still the USA on that west coast?

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
^110% this.
I'm so glad Georgia doesn't do stupid sh@t like this, and has anti-speed trap laws as well.

§ 40-14-8. When case may be made and conviction had
(a) No county, city, or campus officer shall be allowed to make a case based on the use of any speed detection device, unless the speed of the vehicle exceeds the posted speed limit by more than ten miles per hour and no conviction shall be had thereon unless such speed is more than ten miles per hour above the posted speed limit.

§ 40-14-7. Visibility of vehicle from which device is operated
No stationary speed detection device shall be employed by county, municipal, college, or university law enforcement officers where the vehicle from which the device is operated is obstructed from the view of approaching motorists or is otherwise not visible for a distance of at least 500 feet.

§ 40-8-1 Any motor vehicle which is used on official business by any person authorized to make arrests or traffic violations in this state shall be distinctly marked on each side and the back with the name of the agency responsible therefore, in letters not less than four inches in height.

Well anyway you get the idea...Why I moved from a State that can care less about my rights to easily one of the best states in the Country. :) That is of course just my opinion....

Last edited:

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
^110% this.
That is beyond all out “F ing”. SNEAKY !
They are getting paid to bait you into racing, all while getting their own jolly’s, and then slap a ticked, or worse.

A nice response back would be American
Graffiti Police chase where they hooked chains under LEO differential, then egged them on into a chase. Personally I would have left more slack in the chains like 50’ to enhance the result.

Last edited:
OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13
@Magnified how would that work out in front of the right judge? Lots of analogies can be drawn up.

Can a nark smoke a joint, hand it to you then bust you and not be guilty themselves? Can a lady actually go thru the act with you, then arrest you but allow themselves to walk? So can another break the law, either break the speed limit, and engage in a race, then arrest you and walk? Damn it, is it still the USA on that west coast?
They can produce the situation, but not command the act. Generally, if they act the fool and goad you into racing, when you finally set up, if on the count of three (or whatever) you launch and they don't, technically that's not entrapment. You started the race. Works the same if the jihadist sting unit says "here, this cell phone is connected to those bombs we just set out on the plaza. Dial that number on the screen to set them off. Allahu akbar!" No one (supposedly) is going to make the target actually push the call button to detonate the bombs, even if he did not participate in building them.

It's a very fine line. If its not done just right there are many counter arguments that can be made (but as with all things, while the counter arguments can be made, that doesn't meant they'll be successful in the end).
For the other questions - nope, officers can't have sex with the mark then charge them with prostitution (generally). And all this is not west coast only, the law is pretty much the same everywhere. One thing I have always held out as a superiority of European Napoleonic code based law compared to our English common law base is what they do with the results of this kind of thing. Here, if police violate constitutional rights with a warrant-less search or whatever, the evidence is tossed entirely and the accused walks free. In my mind, this punishes society. In Europe, the police are punished (with a fine, diciplinary action, etc...) but the evidence remains admissible. This actually gives a lot of options to the police - if they feel a serial killer lives in house X, but they do not have enough probable cause for a search warrant, they can go ahead and search the house anyway, risking the punishment, in order to produce the evidence and stop the killer.

Anyway, too early for such things. And a busy day. And god I'm tired of working. I should be able to spend the day just driving the cars and having fun. If there were any justice in the world. lol

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat

You want me to answer that? Lets just say that what those in positions of power are allowed to do that - and those of us on the recieving end pay the consequences. Places like Washington - where one party has control of the state congress and governors office have no checks and balances and they care less and less about abiding by the rules because of it.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #15
I respectfully disagree, 72. Here in Texas we are all one party controlled (which I generally think is a bad thing) and what I see on a day to day basis is that it is far more a question of who has the money, and who is in the in "in clique" as to how much favoritism and bending of the rules you get, as opposed to just a political or party oriented thing. But that's just what I've personally seen. And that crap churns my stomach. Poor latino gets the book slammed on him for drug possession with no priors. Same charge but its the son of one of the white local money bags, and its deferred adjudication. All should be equal in the eyes of the law. This kind of bullshit is why many of our ancestors left England and other places to come here.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
I respectfully disagree, 72. Here in Texas we are all one party controlled (which I generally think is a bad thing) and what I see on a day to day basis is that it is far more a question of who has the money, and who is in the in "in clique" as to how much favoritism and bending of the rules you get, as opposed to just a political or party oriented thing. But that's just what I've personally seen. And that crap churns my stomach. Poor latino gets the book slammed on him for drug possession with no priors. Same charge but its the son of one of the white local money bags, and its deferred adjudication. All should be equal in the eyes of the law. This kind of bullshit is why many of our ancestors left England and other places to come here.
And precisely why i drive my A8 in M mode dammit.

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
This is how we treat unmarked units in Georgia.
1567774462769.png

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Precisely why I drive my A8 in M mode. If I want to drive “spiritedly” but not full w/o, it won’t downshift and scream bloody murder. Just accelerates smoothly and goes about the job without all the drama. I’ve found this method to be the ticket without getting one or looking like that guy in the green Hellcat in the Allstate commercial. “You wanna go bro?!?”
You mean you drive it without the bad-ass MERICA mode on?

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
There’s always Tesla. :rolleyes:

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20
lol, some used P85Ds down to 38 to 40,000 now...

and I admit, I'm tempted