Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Stock Brembo Pads For Track Use

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
Do any of the Racers here use the stock Brembo pads (6-piston) on the track?

I took mine off at 13 miles, (yes, thirteen miles).

Thanks.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Yep. They are the preferred pad in most cases. You’re not alone. Ive removed mine immediately on my last three Challengers lol.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I run the Powerstop for daily

And for the limited road courses I've run on, I put the OE pads back on.

Clean everything up when I get back home and put the PSs back on.

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
Ditto on the OE pads for track. At least DOT4 brake fluid too.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Once you start to get serious, you'll need to look at a more aggressive pad, maybe Hawk 50s, 60s, 70s, or even 80s.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
The racing pads are a serious drug addiction. I was happy with stock Brembo pads until I tried a Hawk DTC60. OMG, what a difference. Then I went to a 70 for another step up. I've never looked back. Powerstop Z26 for street, and swap out for the track.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
The racing pads are a serious drug addiction. I was happy with stock Brembo pads until I tried a Hawk DTC60. OMG, what a difference. Then I went to a 70 for another step up. I've never looked back. Powerstop Z26 for street, and swap out for the track.
After I fry my current collection, going to do some DTC-80’s and get me some fresh rotors for Christmas (if the Hellcat lasts that long:rolleyes::rolleyes:).

OP
P

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
Thread Starter #8
Once you start to get serious, you'll need to look at a more aggressive pad, maybe Hawk 50s, 60s, 70s, or even 80s.
I was serious 45 years ago. Street-driven only now. :)

SIXGUN

U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Madeira Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye Widebody
I guess I'm serious. Three laps at Sebring and OE pads are fading bad. When removed they smell like they have been burned in a fire. Use something else for the track. DTC-70s work for me so far but I wonder about DTC-80s. The 70s are a game changer, you need to recalibrate your foot!

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I guess I'm serious. Three laps at Sebring and OE pads are fading bad. When removed they smell like they have been burned in a fire. Use something else for the track. DTC-70s work for me so far but I wonder about DTC-80s. The 70s are a game changer, you need to recalibrate your foot!

Ask @TrackDay about his experience with the 70s, I'm not sure about the 80s, my guess is that our calipers won't hold up.

The 70s are aggressive enough to turn them ugly colors...

SIXGUN

U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Madeira Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I have used up a set of 70s so far. My calipers are certainly getting warm, discs in the 600° range, but they are working great for me so far. Far, far superior to the stock pads, but I'm sure better calipers would be better. Time will tell!

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I have used up a set of 70s so far. My calipers are certainly getting warm, discs in the 600° range, but they are working great for me so far. Far, far superior to the stock pads, but I'm sure better calipers would be better. Time will tell!

C.I. disks are arguably maxed out at 600C...

Although I have seen them go higher...

Much higher...

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I used a stock set of new Brembo pads at BIR one day last year. Because I was short on my supply of Hawks. Turned them into a ugly tapered little paperweights that cannot be used even for the street again. Not that I would consider using the nasty, harsh, abrasive SOB’s on the street anyway.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I have a set of stock pads with very few miles on them if anyone wanted to pay shipping to get them.

SIXGUN

U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Madeira Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
The OEs work good enogh for most folks, if a dusty mess. I found on the autocross at MOPARty 2020 in Bowling Green, KY they wouldn't hold for laps doing that. Would not activate ABS for max braking for me. Very kind of you to offer them up, that will help someone if nobody else takes them I will, as they do work fine for the street!

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
I'm not aware of better calipers for our cars other than the Vipers, but they don't improve stopping power, more so just reduce taper on the brake pads since they have tapered diameter pistons. I don't know the weight difference, but they appear to have a smaller outer envelope while using the same pad.
I'll try the new calipers at Brainerd in a couple of weeks. I've done some lower speed test and tunes a couple of times now and all is well.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I am a lucky guy. New Brembo calipers will be installed this week. My car is getting younger and younger. Hope they stay black, but I have my doubts, once Input some heat on them. I won’t be doing anything except joy riding it until next year.

SIXGUN

U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Madeira Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I am a lucky guy. New Brembo calipers will be installed this week. My car is getting younger and younger. Hope they stay black, but I have my doubts, once Input some heat on them. I won’t be doing anything except joy riding it until next year.
Hey, why are your calipers being replaced?

SIXGUN

U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Madeira Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I'm not aware of better calipers for our cars other than the Vipers, but they don't improve stopping power, more so just reduce taper on the brake pads since they have tapered diameter pistons. I don't know the weight difference, but they appear to have a smaller outer envelope while using the same pad.
I'll try the new calipers at Brainerd in a couple of weeks. I've done some lower speed test and tunes a couple of times now and all is well.
My experience with the DTC-70, with stock calipers (and Demon Performance rotors out back) is these pads wear almost perfectly even, but there is the smallest amount of taper upnfront and one pad on each side in the rear wears more than the other. So about half way through the pads, I flip the fronts top to bottom and the rears inside to outside. At the end of the pads they are almost perfectly even around the car. With the OE pads front taper was terrible and the rears were gone about half way through the front set, and they smelled like they were burned in a fire. Not good for my 4700lb plus car on track!

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
My experience with the DTC-70, with stock calipers (and Demon Performance rotors out back) is these pads wear almost perfectly even, but there is the smallest amount of taper upnfront and one pad on each side in the rear wears more than the other. So about half way through the pads, I flip the fronts top to bottom and the rears inside to outside. At the end of the pads they are almost perfectly even around the car. With the OE pads front taper was terrible and the rears were gone about half way through the front set, and they smelled like they were burned in a fire. Not good for my 4700lb plus car on track!
I'd have to flip my front pads during a single track day as the 70 only lasts about 4 to 5 sessions before being done for me at Brainerd. A little less at Road America. That's why I went with the Viper calipers.
My rears will last almost forever.