Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Stock Fuel Rails, why they don’t keep up

OP
16GoManGoHC2

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Thread Starter #21
I’m running about the same setup as @Speed! - I’m running a 2.85 Litens Speedy a 2.72 I believe me ID 1050’s with 2 285 pumps running 85-88% E difference I have a ported 2.4 blower with port matched snout and a 95mm TB and I see 1980 Air Charge in -1500 DA cool crisp air often. Watch this data log you’ll see it, pretty close to what speedy is reporting as well.
I’m hoping after this fuel rail mod I get the sink Duty Cycle back down in the low to mid 70’s I’ll be happy.

I agree on the fuel trims, it’s just adding the needed fuel to achieve target lamda.

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I think I stumbled on to why stock fuel rails don’t keep up especially once on corn. I switched to corn back in September, a Flex Fuel tune. I installed a dual 285 fuel pump set up on dual FPCM’s but stuck with my already tuned for on 93 ID1050X injectors. Tuner said it could be done on the 1050’s and it can be. But as I’ve inched up to about 925 wheel now on tested 85%E and now cold weather set in with DA in the -1000 to -1500 range I’ve notice my fuel rail pressure dropping from commanded 90 psi to 80 psi and pump commanded at 89% which is max and my injector Duty Cycle go from an OK 75% to 85-86% which is about the max safe limit to push them too. In discussion with Rick at tapped he told me change to fore rails and their feed line and I’ll gain back 10-15% Inj DC and fuel pressure back because the stock rails are limiting flow. So I decided to try this verse the expense of going to a bigger injector and also having to retune for such which on a flex tune is like starting from scratch again. I just happened to then score on a set of Fore Rails with feed line and factory sensor for a killer deal and was looking forward to trying out Ricks suggestion. Well unfortunately that deal fell through because the seller could not get the feed line uncoupled from the fuel line from the tank and ended up having to sell the car with the Fore rails as there was no way to get the coupler out of the stock fuel line without destroying it, BIG BUMMER!! So it was back to watching out for another Fore setup. Well today in the shop I was doing clean up and organizing and had a set of stock rails for my spare blower sitting out and I wanted to seal them up and box them for storage. Well during this process I decided to look them over for what makes them restrictive, and I found it!!! And how stupid it is!! So we equip the car with 1/2” fuel lines but at the main rail feed connection fitting the tube is rolled over snd necked down to .303” of an inch!! Worse yet further down the tube where it’s connected to the rail the hole into the rail for ALL the fuel to go through is .277” of a inch!! WTF where they thinking?? And it gets worse!! So the main line feeds into the Passenger Side rail which then feeds the Drivers Side rail through a 3/8 tube fitting, they couldn’t stay 1/2”?? Ok, 3/8, not too bad BUT this fitting is rolled over on its end as well and has a inlet diameter of only .246” of an inch, smaller then 1/4”!! And believe it or not it gets worse!! That tube where it’s welded to the tube it’s supplied from the supply hole is only .213” in diameter!! Holy F$#k no wonder the system can’t keep up!! And now yet there’s even one more restriction!! The bung where each injector is fed from? Well each is restricted to feed through a 121” diameter hole!!! OK, I can relate to a bit of why this is, to help keep a more even feed pressure in the entire rail and regulate a flow to each injector but dam who would ever think to look in there and see this! Just think if you where trying to feed 1700’s through this little hole, definitely a pressure drop would be in that area between injector inlet and fuel rail!!
View attachment 32749 View attachment 32750 View attachment 32751 View attachment 32752 View attachment 32753 View attachment 32754

So....., I’m going to “port” these restrictions out and make these fitting be the max inside diameter of each tube which for the 1/2” tube is appx .420” and the 3/8” tube appx .310”, a BIG difference!! And see if I gain fuel pressure back and some injector Duty Cycle back!! But unfortunately I don’t know if I’ll get to test them in the near future as it’s now snow and salt season here in Pa :( So.... I’m looking for a volunteer that is in about the same boat as me, dual 285 pumps and 1000-1050 size injectors running E85 and getting to just about max Inj DC and seeing fuel pressure drop below commanded at the rails. @Speedy! I I think you may be close in fuel and injector DC as well in cool weather?You want to try a set of “Ported” stock fuel rails and see what it nets? If yes I’ll ship them out to you once completed. The mod won’t weaken or compromise them at all, their welded on the outside not any where near where material will be removed. The orfice in each injector port will be opened up to the same size as Fore Rails are. They should only take maybe 1/2-1 hour to change out. If no volunteers I may postpone pulling my blower and trans as planned for some upgrades and cross my fingers for a warm day (35-40F will do)in early January in Pa and being the Mexico boarder is only 1/2 mile from my house and I only need a 2-3-4 to 6500 rpm 12 second pull with data log to find out apples to apples get my just detailed for winter storage cat dirty to find out, I gots ta know!! Any one game to try a set of ported rails and see what it nets? Just think, this could save big bucks by not having to layout $650 for Fore rails and feed lines and more so the in ability to use the fancy valve cover covers which in switching to the Fore rails won’t fit any more. This could be a EUREKA finding here, need a tester!! Anyone game??
Know what you mean about stock lines, and I fought fuel going into winter and colder temps and better DA.

This was our solution for stock lines. Removed 285 dual pumps and went to 295 dual and installed KB duel BAP and solved 99% of the problems on ignite 114 and ran 8.7 @ 153 in -300 DA with unopened engine and 2.4 blower.

But next power level; we have to go with a triple pump and remove stock lines.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
They look great! There may be a market for these...

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
View attachment 32967 View attachment 32968

Already had a plan for this. I Drilled one out today, I pressurized the rail with clean and dry compressed so all the chips flew out as they where generated. I drilled them out about .015” at a time, I still need to debur the holes in the injector bungs which I have a plan on how to debur both sides of the holes already as well but I’m elated how they came out. The inlet feed looks the part now for a 1/2” line!!
Primary inlet went from a .277” restriction at the inlet of the rail to a whopping .413”!! the feed port out of that rail that feeds the drivers side rail went from .213” to .302”!!. I drilled the injector bungs out from .113” to .204”, I stopped when I started getting close to the spot welds that hold them to the rail but they are brazed in place as well and no compromise in strength what so ever. The hole is now almost twice the diameter at .204” and will be plenty as it now almost matches what the feed port to the entire drivers side rail was originally!! I wish they were both done today as I would have gone out tonight and tested them before the snow storm starts tomorrow of which now projections are 18-24” in my area, yuk yuk yuk yuk YUK!!!!

Tomorrow drill and debur, and blow out from a bunch of different ways, fluid flush into a fine screen so I can see how if even one chip was left in the tubes them get them in the car and waiting for this crap to melt for testing.
View attachment 32961 View attachment 32962 View attachment 32963 View attachment 32964 View attachment 32965 View attachment 32966
Man, that's awesome, I hope it works for ya !

I'm assuming this will only be needed if your running E85 & needing a lot more fuel ?

Not for 2.85 on 93 tune ?... like I am.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Give one good reason 110 octane that is un leaded. Good e nuff. Cheaten Bastards 1/2 mile from the track. Got hit3 times and FCA changed out fer ) amonst alot of stuffers. Happy shine fromTenn if it is ever was 1.

OP
16GoManGoHC2

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #26
Man, that's awesome, I hope it works for ya !

I'm assuming this will only be needed if your running E85 & needing a lot more fuel ?

Not for 2.85 on 93 tune ?... like I am.
No, not needed, you’ll be Good on 93 and the 2.85.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
With some testing of a change Mike made, my trims in cold air are now almost zero (2% >). Some fine tuning at other than WOT and I think we got it licked. What I'm not sure of is at what air temperature the modification starts to make an impact.

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
With some testing of a change Mike made, my trims in cold air are now almost zero (2% >). Some fine tuning at other than WOT and I think we got it licked. What I'm not sure of is at what air temperature the modification starts to make an impact.
Good write up Speedy.

FYI - I am on ignite 114 and nitrous. My car was starved for fuel in colder temps. Thus upgrading to 295 pumps and KB BAP to solve this combination/problem.

It would be interesting to see the same setup on Q16 & NOS and if KB BAP would be required. But in my opinion, going bigger power; we need to change out the fuel pumps at a minimum or go triple pump and replace stock fuel lines.

We didn't go triple pump because it was in the middle of race season. To include, we are either changing the blower this offseason or next year and would have to spend money/time to redo fuel lines. So we stuck with the quicker and cheaper fix.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I would almost love to know what he changed to get them that close in this air. Could help a lot of people...but that's awesome either way. Glad he figured it out for ya!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
For my car it appeared to add +10% STFT for whatever reason on the FF tune and ethanol in the tank as the weather cooled. I did not see this last summer, but will have to recheck next summer when the weather warms up. I started throwing a P2097 code for too rich (too much trim I reckon) and didn't seem to matter whether it was part throttle or WOT, although WOT is easier to measure as it doesn't move around like part throttle does.

Anyway, Mike tried a couple things that had no impact, then found something that seems to have worked. If I found it myself I'd share, but since the professional had to step in and bail me out well.... LOL

What I'm not clear on is at what temperature this change starts to take effect. According to HPT it is a temperature related variable but that temperature is undefined, so I'll be curious what happens in 90 degree temps.

PS in recent WOT testing I saw over 2000 aircharge in the logs. That's some good air!

Last edited:

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Undefined temperature variable?

Maybe an ambient related modifier for alcohol only?

There's so much undefined stuff in these CAL files...but they're great with adding whatever we need when we find it...or rather one of the top guys finds it. haha

The only thing I can find in this car is a gas pump.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
The only thing I can't find is a gas station.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
What are you guys seeing when you say "cooler air"? Talking 40s, lower? Maybe I missed that part.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
The only thing I can't find is a gas station.
Take the brick off your gas pedal.

OP
16GoManGoHC2

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #35
What are you guys seeing when you say "cooler air"? Talking 40s, lower? Maybe I missed that part.
Yes, and below. I run my car until they salt the roads and have gotten into the high 20’s even where the DA has been -2000 at night, car makes killer power in such. I data log and keep a chart of every 1/4 pull and can see a consistent corralation between low DA, high Trap speed, add high % E and I’m at 86% Duty Cycle on my injectors and watch fuel rail pressure wain from 86 desired down to 80-81 psi. I have this set of rails modded and ready for installation but 20” of snow have put a dash to testing them out. Hopefully we’ll have a warm up and some rain to wash the roads off and I can get a test run in to post findings on if the mod helped with Inj DC and fuel rail pressure, I’m thinking it’s definitely going to. Stay tuned!!
PS, If anyone wants to try this and can provide data in return from a set up similar to mine I’ll do a set for someone for free, just cover the frt to me and I’ll cover the frt back to you.

Last edited:

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
For me I think the fuel trim deal started when temps got in the low 60s.

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Agree @Speedy!

Once temps went into the 50's; we started seeing even worse fuel problems i.e...fuel PSI and Injector Duty Cycles. The car would go into limp mode or struggle to push enough fuel.
Using ignite 114 (ethanol) and NOS only complicated the equation.

If I had to do it all over again, saving time and money....would upgrade to the triple pump (295) and NOT replaced the stock lines until we decided on the new blower and no BAP.
Reasoning: when we replace the stock lines and then upgrade the blower, we have to rework fuel lines thus causing time/money.

At different power levels different problems have to be solved.
* 800+ whp - supporting mods: axels, diff brace, Driveshaft, how to cool the blower, belt slip....etc..
* 1000+ whp - then fuel comes into the equation and traction
* 1200+ whp - upgrading blower, yes or no
* 1500+ whp - then IRS comes into the equation, replace or keep it

It all comes down to one simple thing...getting the best minds together and solving problems and then testing, testing and more testing. Build, modify, test, race, break...rinse and repeat

OP
16GoManGoHC2

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #38
MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!!
Lines are installed and ready for a test blast. 3” of rain fell the last 24 hours here and has washed all the snow and muck away, yaaayyy.
Going to get icy today but Sunday is looking like a day I may get a test run in. I’ll have lots of time on my hands now, unfortunately my little baby had a seizure of some kind last night and we had to put her down about 10 pm, what a way to spend Christmas:(... Here she is at 3:38 yesterday afternoon, she’s been sick, 13 1/2, liver and kidneys failing, she’s been to the vet every other day for 2 weeks for treatment, she was getting improving but it was only delaying the inevitable, we where trying to get one more Christmas in with her. I take solice it went as quick as humanly possible. I’m going to miss her, she was up my but 24/7, where she was I was. Good bye my little girl

DCCCDD52-CF53-4C77-9406-2AEF1FF63D9C.jpeg
:(.....

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
What a beautiful little pup. Sorry that you had to put her down, especially this time of year. RIP baby girl. 😟

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!!
Lines are installed and ready for a test blast. 3” of rain fell the last 24 hours here and has washed all the snow and muck away, yaaayyy.
Going to get icy today but Sunday is looking like a day I may get a test run in. I’ll have lots of time on my hands now, unfortunately my little baby had a seizure of some kind last night and we had to put her down about 10 pm, what a way to spend Christmas:(... Here she is at 3:38 yesterday afternoon, she’s been sick, 13 1/2, liver and kidneys failing, she’s been to the vet every other day for 2 weeks for treatment, she was getting improving but it was only delaying the inevitable, we where trying to get one more Christmas in with her. I take solice it went as quick as humanly possible. I’m going to miss her, she was up my but 24/7, where she was I was. Good bye my little girl

View attachment 33839
:(.....
It is always hard when we lose our furry little friends but even harder when it is around Christmas. Sorry for your loss:(