Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Stuck Wheel Bolt

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Not on a Hellcat but I have a buddy who has a BMW and they use wheel bolts instead of studs and lug nuts. Well, a previous tire shop over torqued one bolt and I think he has stripped it trying to get it off.

I’m going to give him a hand tomorrow but the BMW crowds, well they just don’t seem to have the hands on experience I know a lot of you guys have, so I’m asking here.

The only options I can think of are trying an extractor set or drilling the head off, sliding the wheel off, then figuring out how to get the shank out.

Anyone have a better idea or words of wisdom haha?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Not on a Hellcat but I have a buddy who has a BMW and they use wheel bolts instead of studs and lug nuts. Well, a previous tire shop over torqued one bolt and I think he has stripped it trying to get it off.

I’m going to give him a hand tomorrow but the BMW crowds, well they just don’t seem to have the hands on experience I know a lot of you guys have, so I’m asking here.

The only options I can think of are trying an extractor set or drilling the head off, sliding the wheel off, then figuring out how to get the shank out.

Does the bolt spin..or is it seized and not turn?

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
Does the bolt spin..or is it seized and not turn?
Sounds like it’s not moving and the head is stripped.

Been looking at some of these extractor kits online, they look pretty promising. I told him to get some penetrating oil on it and let it sit over night before we get to it tomorrow, hoping that and the extractor is all we need.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Sounds like it’s not moving and the head is stripped.

Been looking at some of these extractor kits online, they look pretty promising. I told him to get some penetrating oil on it and let it sit over night before we get to it tomorrow, hoping that and the extractor is all we need.
the oil is your best bet..sounds over torqued and possibly corroded.a good set of channel locks..and beat the head with a hammer..after its been lubed for a couple of days...you just might get lucky....

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Try the next size down impact socket, whether it's SAE or Metric, set it on with an air hammer, then slowly take it off with a large tq wrench.

Big box stores also sell specialty sockets purpose made for the same technique.

Heat, cycled, but obviously not destructive to the wheel or hub.

Depending on the scenario, tq and releasing the other bolts in the pattern may slightly change the load on seized bolt.

I also like drilling it out, but remove the opposite wheel first to see what that is going to look like after the wheel is off. (This will probably be easier said than done, the bolt has a large cross section?). Drilling chips that are hot may damage the cosmetic finish?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
trade it in:whistle:

2fast4u

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
Irwin makes a great external bolt remover, they look like a socket but have internal extractor flutes that lock onto bolt head. I have used them with great results.
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/02108041

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
I wish @AeroF16 would give up the night time wheel business😁. We all know he wants a Hellcat really really bad and the wife monitors the check book😁

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Weld an impact socket on it and get a big ass breaker bar. Use a pipe if needed.

parttimer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
crazyweathertown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

Are these like the AUDI/VW that have the Hex head? Might try hammering a larger hex on there. Maybe from the back some penetrating oil or heat.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Bull's way works as well as the extractors.
Penetrating oil would obviously work better sprayed from the back side. Likely not possible.
One thing I notice is people tend to try to use force and basically a steady pressure. If a bolt/nut is going to strip this will pretty much garantee that outcome.
I always jerk on the bar to give the bolt a shock. An impact gun isn't smooth force, similar thinking.
If the bolt is really rounded you may have to drill like you said or alternatively weld a socket to it. Unfortunately that is not as easy as it sounds be cause where you can weld is where the head of the bar goes.

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Cheap socket extension welded to the bolt. Weld then remove, works every time.

2fast4u

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
I have never NOT been able to remove rounded bolt heads with the external extractors, BUT, you do have to make sure to Hammer it on as far as you can. It makes sure the teeth cut into head better and chances of slip are slim to none.

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
I’m guessing there’s not much room so I would try hammering a socket over the bolt or the extractors after the penetrating oil had time to seep in.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I have never NOT been able to remove rounded bolt heads with the external extractors, BUT, you do have to make sure to Hammer it on as far as you can. It makes sure the teeth cut into head better and chances of slip are slim to none.
^^^ This + a long assed breaker bar is the ticket !

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
this was a trade-in, Dodge Charger even ... (not helpful for this situation as these are nuts but other than the probable butchery needed and just for us to visualize the pain AeroF16 will likely be going through ...)

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
If BMW is anything like VW, the bolts corrode way down at the end of the shank. Almost as if they are sticking out the back of the hub. If you can get to them, get around back and try to spray to opposite end with penetrating oil, as well as the bolt head flange, it case there is some galvanic welding going on there.

Then as others have said, HAMMER on an extractor. This will not only get as much bite as possible, but will also (hopefully) break down the bond a bit....

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Torch and heat er up.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
^^ Torch the hub from behind the wheel… don’t aim the torch at the wheel face. Once the hub is warm, extract the bolt from the front.

The other suggestions may work, but I doubt there will be a lot of wiggle room between the bolt and the hole the bolt is in. It’s usually a tight fit for just a socket, let alone a welder.